TopSpin Tennis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TopSpin Tennis

we have had one thread which had a combination of TopSpin and Grabbed by the Ghoulies but this game is so good that it deserves its own official thread.....

so onwards and upwards as they say...

TopSpin Tennis is the best tennis game released on console upto now - it takes the accolade from Smash Court Tennis (aka Anna K Tennis) and both Virtua Tennis releases. The depth of play is immense with a perfect variety of groundstrokes available via the fascia buttons on the Xbox pad with 2 new additions being placed on the shoulder triggers. These new additions are Risk Shots - one is a powerful Risk Shot (right trigger) whilst the other is a cheeky 'ball just over the net' lob shot (left trigger).

Graphically and Sonically this game absolutely pisses on any other game in the genre - its nearest competitor looks wise is Virtua Tennis 2 (which it just beats imo). the animation on the players is spot on and the little touches (which always make a game special to me) such as dust rising when you slide into a shot on the clay courts, scuff marks on the courts etc just round things off perfectly. Different score announcers for different countries sound good - though some of them do sound like Stephen Hawkings.

But where the game really shines is online. Match-ups are always easy to find and upto now i have only had 3 instances were the game has lagged to make it unplayable (all 3 times against the same opponent - in the same 30 minute session). Voice comms work perfectly with both opponents praising each others shots (NICE etc) and the occassional swear word coming through when you do an unforced error........ but the real beauty is in the introduction of XSN tournaments. Easy to set up, full stats taken for every game within the tournament --- you can see just why MS made this their no1 priority at this years E3. at the mo we have a 32 player tournament taking place and then two 16 player leagues due in the next few weeks --- the community spirit this embodies makes me thinks that TopSpin will be 'spinning' in many peoples drives for quite some time to come

camps

Saw this for the first time yesterday, and was very impressed. I've never really got into any of the other arcade tennis games since the Amiga days, but Topspin is one I'll probably start playing. It's fairly easy to pick up, and like you say, the graphics are very nice indeed.

Comment

Just to counter camps post with the small wee niggles that stop TopSpin from being perfection.

- Too many loading screens
      - Cannot play 4 player doubles online on separate xboxes.
      - Cannot play female/male matchups or mixed doubles.
      - Ballboys dont move...ever.
      - No server/host speed rating on the XBL interface.
      - No option to deactivate risk shots entirely (would be nice)

Other than that its perfection, perhaps a sequel or even a download update could see some of those features added...

Comment

Sometimes they just go the wrong way and also they also sometimes do a really soft shot even when you've built the power up, and it just tees up the opponent to whack it back leaving you with not much of a chance.

Comment

Is it as good as Super Tennis on the Snes?

Comment

I love this game, but find it difficult to handle powerful risk shots as I prefer to play like John McEnroe rather than Serve and smash tennis.

I also am disappointed with lack of options to adjust match length. It is very good game, but not perfect.

Comment

Have had this since the PAL release but haven't really gotten into it yet as there's been so much other quality stuff released just recently, but from what I have played it's bloody great. What has impressed me the most so far is how seamless the animation is, looks very realistic.

Comment

The create-a-character is superb, really detailed. I've created myself exactly which always raises a sad smile.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny
                  - Too many loading screens
                  And then some.

I feel my enjoyment of the game itself is somewhat marred by me being rubbish at it.

Comment

Really enjoying this, its great online (even if I don't win many matches ).

What I don't like:

No support for soundtracks, in fact no music during the match

Risk shots to hard to pull off if you are losing, making real trashing possible (surely this should be working similar to the boost in RR)

No proper training mode

Loading times aren't that bad, seems similar to KOTOR, so if you think that KOTOR is bad then you will think the same with Top Spin.

What I do like:

Live matches, only had one match where someone dropped out, and this could have been due to the network rather than them disconnecting (I was wooping their arse). The overal standard has been excellent, very entertaining

Career Mode, I'm about 1/3 through this, seems pretty solid to me.

Graphics, top notch.

Comment

Played thru career mode until i got to number 1, got my last skill and have been pretty much online since. Don't think i'd bother finishing off the rest of the tourneys, the AI gimps are waay to predictable.

That's where online comes in.

Anticipating where your oppenent will put the ball, finding your opponents weakness and exploiting the hell out of it and setting up shots for the smash have made for some very close and very fun games.

My only niggle is the InTheZone bar. I can hit the risk shots 90% of the time when i'm out of the zone, but when my bar is maxed out i always hit the net. I just can't get the timing right

Comment

yeah, best tennis game i've played but the loading screens are really frustrating. Especially when u join a new sponser

Comment

Yeah thanks topspin, started playing a dude earlier and he hit a shot which clipped the top of the net and rolled over...........only to get stuck about an inch from the ground.

we could run about but couldn't swing or anything. I ended up quiting to let him win as he was ranked 46 and I was 800 odd, he obviously took the game more seriously than me so I thought I would do my good deed for the day and give him the win.

Which was probably fair as we played after it again and he beat me anyway.

Comment

picked this up this weekend along with pgr2 and my box has rarely been off
                            nice game brilliant online
                            loading screens are a little niggle and the music thing as well that was mentioned earlier
                            the whole league and tourney thing is a fantastic idea and one i will be getting into shortly.
                            top game

Comment

Got this the other day and am really enjoying guiding my short, fat, geeky looking tennis player to glory.

Surprised how good it is to be honest, I wasn't expecting it to match Virtua Tennis (or Monkey Tennis ), but I think it manages it.

Haven't even had a chance to play it on Live yet either, and am also looking forward to some 4 player games with my mates... Virtua was always a great laugh.

When playing on Live, do you play as your own character or one of the real players? Or can you be either?

Comment

Working...
                              X