Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Psyvariar - Can you beat the ISO BUZZ scores?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Psyvariar - Can you beat the ISO BUZZ scores?

Been playing Psyvariar on and off for a few months now. Finally, having put a hell of a lot of time into it and getting plenty of advice from Saur i finally beat the ISO BUZZ score (1159) on Earth. My current top is 1164 and potentially i think i can get upto 1180-1190. I've just started on Valley and Volcano in the hope of again getting near or past the ISO BUZZ.

Just wondering if anyone else is putting a lot of playtime into this game. How are you getting on? What tatics do you use? I personally like to keep the rotate button held down when BUZZing and and only tap the rotate button (to speed up) when having to make ground to get to the next BUZZing opportunity.

Lastly a bit of advice for anyone who is using the analogue stick to control the ship - DON'T!! I was stupid enough to use this method until Saur recommended i use the d-pad. Since then i have improved no end.

My top buzz on Earth is 1027, so I'm still a bit behind - my game improved immensely by ditching the joypad & using an arcade stick - ship movememnt feels a bit more 'definite' if that makes any sense.

As for tactics, I don't really have that many - except for buzzing the edges of enemy ships to get the shield up, then buzzing through them when invincible to up the destruction rate as well.

I love shooters. I'm just not very good at them

Comment

I find it easier using the Dual Shock & D-Pad...

Comment

Originally posted by charlie angel
        My top buzz on Earth is 1027, so I'm still a bit behind - my game improved immensely by ditching the joypad & using an arcade stick - ship movememnt feels a bit more 'definite' if that makes any sense.

As for tactics, I don't really have that many - except for buzzing the edges of enemy ships to get the shield up, then buzzing through them when invincible to up the destruction rate as well.
        By joypad do you mean the d-pad or the analogue stick? The analogue stick is useless, if you were using that have a go with the d-pad. The movement is very natural and the improvement in accuracy is amazing - especially when grazing bullets diagonally (sp?)

As for tatics. The key for me is making sure i get the ship at bullet crossover points. For example at the start of Earth there are 3 pairs of enemies which fire bullets (in turn) directly at you. I move the ship so that its nose is touching the point where the bullets crossover. Therefore you are getting the BUZZ from two streams of bullets. If you can do this as many times as possible your BUZZ is going to go way up. There are times when on Earth when its possible to sit the ship and get BUZZ from four bullet streams. Also when BUZZing at the crossover point keep your ship moving up and down. Of course there are plenty ot times when you can't sit the ship in crossfire, at times like this you just got to BUZZ any bullets possible - move along them to get as much BUZZ as possible. Try to perfect stages within a level - for example at the start of Earth you are met (as i said above) by 3 pairs of enemies, when i first started my BUZZ would be around 130-140 once i had got past them, now i can get 165-170. If you can just improve each part of a level by just a few BUZZ the end total will really increase.

Hope people can understand what i just wrote. Not the best at explaining things.

Comment

Originally posted by wager
          By joypad do you mean the d-pad or the analogue stick?
          D-pad - never used the analogue for a shooter; I just seem to play more accurately with an arcade stick

Comment

Not quite sure why i ever used the analogue in the first place. I might get an arcade stick to see if i prefer over the d-pad.

Comment

Originally posted by wager
              Not quite sure why i ever used the analogue in the first place. I might get an arcade stick to see if i prefer over the d-pad.
              The other thing I've been trying is to play the game 'arcade style' - the arcade machine doesn't have a roll button - you have to jerk the stick quickly in opposite directions to get the ship to roll - it's bloody hard...

Comment

Originally posted by charlie angel
                The other thing I've been trying is to play the game 'arcade style' - the arcade machine doesn't have a roll button - you have to jerk the stick quickly in opposite directions to get the ship to roll - it's bloody hard...
                Yeah, i knew about that. Your right it is bloody hard.

Comment

Heh, I haven't tried the 'shakey' ship approach yet either.

I've been practising Earth and Volcano, finding Volcano a bit tough (getting a high buzz off the boss anyway).

I've broken the 1,000 buzz barrier on Earth at least, and still climbing

I'm also playing with continues turned off as an incentive to finishing the game on a single credit.

What I really need is an arcade stick...

One thing I must say about this game - the buzz system is just superb. Its been a long time since I found a schmup so addictive as Psyvariar, and its all down to the buzz. The better you get, the deeper the game gets, and the more intense the adrenaline rush.

Even though I've still a long way to go with this game, I can't recommend it enough

Although... those looking for a quick fix should probably avoid, this is a game that demands dedication.

Comment

I'm re-learning the game using the shake method rather than R1 and BELIEVE it's wicked!

I can beat ISO's Colony score and my friend Mark and beat his Earth score (1217 buzz)

Comment

Are you playing with a stick Saur?

Comment

Nope -

I'm playing on a Dual Shock 2 with the D Pad adjusted to make it MUCH looser. I dont need a stick, this is very precise.

Allan (Tokuda) is now totally addicted to this game! I taught him how to play and he's seen the light ^^

I'm closer to finishing it now tho - I can do:

Earth
                        Volcano
                        XA
                        Cloudbank
                        XB
                        Colony
                        XC (I die here)

Comment

So you're not going for the VF4 stick any more then? Shame, I was hoping you'd post some opinions on how useful it was

Comment

Damn right I'm getting it

I'm getting VF4 and going into hiding until I'm t3h sickest Goh user in the world *evil laughter*

I dont need a stick for Psyvariar -

Comment

I finally managed to watch the DVD over the weekend and attempted to translate what I learned from watching that into my actual technique, or lack thereof ^_^

I'm still a way off from accumulating the levels of buzz you guys are racking up. But, I'm getting better at it. But, I'm curious, how does the buzz system actually work? Because I'll be racking up some good buzz and then I'll get blown to bits >_<

Comment

Working...
                              X