Counterstrike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Counterstrike

I received my copy from DVDBO this morning and got a very quick chance to try it out, although not online.

Graphically it's a clear improvement from the PC version. The first map I tried was the market square as I know this off by heart and it was all present and correct, but looked.....better. Everything was smooth and although won't win any major awards, it was obvious that this is no cheap port.

The controls are well mapped to the XBox pad. Standard FPS controls, except that crouch is mapped to the left trigger which is where I thought alternate fire would be. It makes sense though, although I'm quite used to crouch on left thumbstick click like RS3. This is reserved for walking quietly.

The analogue movement of the stsick seems nice and smooth with no annoying deadzone ala Ghost recon.

More impressions later .

Yeah, I've had this for a few days and also tried it out offline only.

I consider the PC CS to be the best online multiplayer game in history so was interested in seeing how the XBrick would handle this.

First off as Brats says - the graphics are nicer. All the old favourite maps like Dust, Italy etc have been given a new lick of paint and some new maps added and the player models have been updated.

If they get the LIVE thing working properly I can't see why this won't become the most popular XBL game ever - as the original did to the PC.

But, and this has always been my issue with FPSs in general on consoles - you really really need a mouse/kb to play this. No matter how hard I try it just does not feel right. How the hell you are suppose to camp with an AWP with the pad is beyond me.

Great game. Good conversion but PC kicks its arse.

Comment

The keyboard issue, it depends how you approach it. After a long stint away from PC FPS (about 8 years), I can't relate to the mouse and keyboard anymore for FPS. I don't think that will be a problem then.

It is different horses for different courses. I can't navigate a banshee as proficiently in Halo on the PC as I can on the Xbox. So us console heads probably won't let the lack of a Keyboard bother us. May even get Half Life 2 for the Xbox even though this PC can run it fine. Depends, damn, I wish they'd release a demo just so I could see what the controls are like. I don't think I'll ever get used to non analogue strafing input, as well as having to remember loads of different buttons.

Is it any good if you don't have Live, is it worth a purchase?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ono
        But, and this has always been my issue with FPSs in general on consoles - you really really need a mouse/kb to play this. No matter how hard I try it just does not feel right. How the hell you are suppose to camp with an AWP with the pad is beyond me.

Great game. Good conversion but PC kicks its arse.
        But won't everyone be in the same boat? The best thing about this conversion imo is that everyone is on a level playing field. There'll be no charges of using wall hacks or someone making use of an expensive gaming mouse.

I agree that KB/M is an easier control method, but it deson't stop plenty of skill being displayed on games like RS3 for instance.

Comment

How many players on one Xbox, offline?

I don't have the chance for online playing (no BB availability round here), so system link and 4 player one screen is the only way for me.

Cheers.

Comment

There is no split screen whatsoever.

If you don't have Live, don't bother. If you do, do. Easy really.

Comment

I just pre-ordered this from Amazon, and was wondering if this game is closer to Ghost Recon or Halo reguarding its play style, I didnt really get on too well with ghost recon, and didnt really find it very accessible, how does this game treat newbies?

Comment

It's more action orientated due to the shortness of the rounds and the size and complexity of the maps. Rounds are over in a matter of a minute or so sometimes.

I think max players is 16 (8v8) ? Which is acceptable for a decent game.

Comment

Its absolutely terrible - the game is so dated - the guys don't even move their legs when going ladders.

Comment

Humm... So what is single player like? What are the bots like? I don't think I'll get this, I believe CZ is a better buy (Hopefully) for us single player losers. But the temptation of linking XBoxes is just too much!

Comment

Originally posted by NeilMcRae
                      Its absolutely terrible - the game is so dated - the guys don't even move their legs when going ladders.
                      Graphics whore

I don't care if its ugly, I still play the PC version as it still holds strong as a great game.

I'm intrigued by the Xbox version, as many of my friends have Xbox L!VE and don't play CS on the PC, so it would be cool to see what its like over L!VE.

Comment

Graphics / Animation

- Yeh its still quite ugly compared to other Xbox FPS titles but the texture work here is better than the PC.

Controls

- As good as you can get on a console IMO, near perfect.

Offline Play

- Crap. Bots are intelligent enough but there is no split screen support. The good news though is that...

Online Play

- ...If you have XBL this game is addictive as hell. Bots can also be used online making some excellent humans v CPU matches possible with very little players and the AI for the bots is actually very impressive from what Ive seen.

Support 10 players max on a non-dedicated server, 16 in dedicated mode and Ive have no problems with lag hosting on my 512/512 connection. Also supports voting and most other notable options for setting up servers...

Summary

Not worth it if you dont have XBL. If you do though your getting a great port of one of the best tactics FPS games on the PC. Sure they could of done more in the graphics department but in fairness they got the gameplay transferred perfectly so in terms of priority they got it spot on.

Comment

I sooooo want this, being a CS whore (and god i may add ) i need this as its the only thing about the pc that i miss !

Anyhoo anywhere doing this cheap ? retail mind as im gonna get it tomms !!

Anyone wanting a bash add me to their list etc - im Shimmyhill on live !

Comment

I got my copy this afternoon and i have to agree with those who think this is addictive. I've never played the PC version so issues of gfx and mouse/keyboard are moot as far as i'm concerned. The frame rate is solid, the ability to host large groups on a standard connection seems to be damn fine and the game is serious fun to play.

Thumbs Up.

Comment

Been playing\watching this on Live for a few hours tonight and I am impressed. The game flows exactly the same as it does on the PC, and also plays much the same. Heck, almost all of the maps are running Dust already.

Controls are as good as they could have possibly got to be honest, though aiming is tricky in anything but mid-range combat.

Noticed a fair bit of lag on a few servers mind, which was a shame to see as it was my first Live experience (is everyone American or something?).

Comment

Working...
                              X