Gran Turismo 4: Prologue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gran Turismo 4: Prologue

We played this recently at a meet held at my place, and Ive spent a little time on it also and thought Id post a few impressions. Notably, the game has a rather incredible intro sequence, featuring some astounding car models which are now looking almost scarily real. In game the game too has been given an overhaul, whilst there is still notable popup from objects that are far into the distance, car models, texturing and overall quality of the visuals has been bumped up a notch. It was pointed out that in particular, small details like the reflections off windows on buildings are quite superb, whilst trackside layout now features moving trees and as clearly evident in Rally mode, moving spectators who will run out into the road before you in order to get an action photograph of your car.

It plays pretty much like any other GT to me, time may reveal slight differences but Id be surprised if it was major. The most gameplay effecting change appears to be in that if you crash into another car, or wall significantly, the game will stop your car from exceeding 50mph for a period of 10 seconds which will visually count down. This is enough to be the difference between winning and losing a race, and therefore encourages careful and more skilled driving. Ill post more as I play, but so far, so good.

Can I be dead cheeky and ask for a vid of the intro sequence?

Comment

I think they are knocking about in a thread in Headlines - if not Ill see what I can do, its well worth seeing!

Comment

FMV or examples of in-game shots?

Comment

got it. Intro is the first one there, didn't notice it before now!

Comment

Concept, time permitting, Ill upload some ingame media of various stages once Im home from work to give you an idea of the environments, menus and also the speed restriction upon crashing. Once done, Ill post links here.

Comment

Originally posted by marcus
              The most gameplay effecting change appears to be in that if you crash into another car, or wall significantly, the game will stop your car from exceeding 50mph for a period of 10 seconds which will visually count down.
              Like the sound of that. Should discourage the use of 'wall-riding' and the like. Sounds similar to the system employed by Initial D, although a lot more drastic.

Comment

I guess its a move towards the system used in games such as PGR, which encourange you to drive more carefully for reward. I always hated the fact that at times you were better off wall-riding than taking corners properly in GT, and this system seems to have remedied that. Im sure it will go some way into making the title a lot more difficult however, and I am unsure as to whether or not this option can be turned off should you want to.

Comment

I guess its a move towards the system used in games such as PGR, which encourange you to drive more carefully for reward. I always hated the fact that at times you were better off wall-riding than taking corners properly in GT, and this system seems to have remedied that. Im sure it will go some way into making the title a lot more difficult however, and I am unsure as to whether or not this option can be turned off should you want to.
                  I hope not. It would kind of destroy the purpose of it being there if it was able to be disabled.

Comment

Concept, time permitting, Ill upload some ingame media of various stages once Im home from work to give you an idea of the environments, menus and also the speed restriction upon crashing. Once done, Ill post links here.
                    Thanks Marcus.

From what I've seen of GT4 so far, Polyphony is pulling some amazing stuff out of the PS2. If they can expand a little on the AI this time (which I'm hoping happens), then hopefully the next GT will be even more compelling to play.

Comment

From what I have heard the engine sounds on this game are top notch.

Certainly better than the piffy sounds from PGR2.

Comment

Ive uploaded a video for GTPrologue - the bad news is it weighs in at about 37 Meg. Reason being I tried converting using a lower bitrate and I felt due to the blockyness it wasnt a real representation of the game. This isnt perfect, but at 2mbps encoding its not too bad. The crashing was deliberate to show the 10 second penalty btw.

Comment

The crashing was deliberate to show the 10 second penalty btw.

http://www.ntsc-uk.domino.org/Movies/GTPrologue1.wmv
                          Sure it was

Comment

Impreza over evo.

Auto?! AUTO!?!

You crashed loads and then gave up!

MAN U SUCK ASS!

;p

Gt looking decent tho that dont sound like any scooby ive ever been in and its still doing the ****ing granny gear changes!!!

Comment

Spent an hour on GT4 prologue now and on 1st impressions it`s not to bad but nothing amazing. Graphically it`s a bit of a mixed bag. New york looks nice but there is still scenery which pops out of no where, which can be a little distracting at times especially things appearing out of no where close to you. Also the environment mapping looks abit **** worse than gt3 although this could be rectified for final release. It`s no pgr2 graphically but i have to admit it kills it on replays. As for handling the cars feel not to much different than gt3 but the main difference i noticed was the cars feel alot more responsive when racing behind car view where in the previous gt series theres seems to be a quite a lag reponce on the handling. Also i`m finding the handling of the rally cars on the grand canyon quite hard to handle and you struggle to get your back end out half of the time but this could be due to having to rely on x/square for accel/brake cause you can`t configure your pad on the right analog stick. Engine sounds for the most part are quite good especially the nsx. Overall though judging by this, GT4 ain`t really gonna set any new ground but will probably deliver a solid game nether the less depending on how the main gt series is layed out. Can`t say i`m exicted or dissapointed after playing this.

Comment

Working...
                              X