Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Biohazard Outbreak

very very early impressions

fantastic intro - easily one of the most cinematic intros i have ever witnessed - sets the tone perfectly for the game (really PUMPED me up)

English menus and dialogue - japanese text ingame

loading is very obtrusive - much worse than previous biohazard games (this does detract from the immersion qualities of the game)

single player features 8 characters - pick one and then 2 more characters are added to your team as AI team mates .... i started with a Tom Cruise lookalike police officer and was given a fellow officer and a waitress as team mates - not sure if these are completely random or are preset per character

lots of zombies - attacking like crazy

mashed up camera angles (upto now) - first scenario starts in a bar where you are looking over the bar .... lost track of a few zombies which resulted in serious damage

very nice damage animation now - get chewed on too much and you end up crawling on the floor until one of your team mates help you up. also lots of talking from your team mates - asking for help etc

thats it for now - will post more laters

camps

ps can't try online mode since its a pay per play service on japanese servers - costs 900 yen a month but not sure how to set up an account

Cheers for the impressions (as a PS2-less survival horror fanatic, I'm interested to hear how this has turned out). Is it still creepy to play, or does having a team of characters make things more of an action game?

Comment

its definitely more action orientated from what i have played upto now - it reminds me more of the gun survivour games than a straight out biohazard game (but in a 3rd person viewage of course). i expect the experience to differ depending on which character you use though - since i used the guy with the biggest gun (oo-er) it became a shoot fest...i will start a game with one of the gal characters and post back

camps

Comment

Isn't the whole idea to play this online? (a la PSO)

I'm not sure it's worth the purchase minus the online interactivity. I'm interested to hear what kind of 'story' is implemented into offline mode though.

Comment

the offline game features numeroys scenarios which add upto 15 hours play time per character (so i am led to believe)

the story differs between characters but the main jist of it is to escape from raccoon city - the time scale is the beginning of biohazard 2

plus the offline mode must be substantial since the PAL version will have zero online connectability

camps

Comment

Originally posted by camps
            ..plus the offline mode must be substantial since the PAL version will have zero online connectability

camps
            Or Capcom Europe are bunch of useless buffoons.

Comment

plus the offline mode must be substantial since the PAL version will have zero online connectability
              Not confirmed

Comment

Does it have a split-screen co-op mode??? I heard a rumour that it might...

Comment

Hi,

Ive managed to capture and upload the rather superb intro for Outbreak for you guys. One thing to bear in mind though, is that this is all rather dark, you may need to adjust your media player settings to see things clearly, and watch it with the light out also to help improve things. I love this intro, and in particular the music.

Biohazard Outbreak Intro Movie (10 Meg)

Comment

Thanks, that looks great. Very similar to the intro to MGS2 in places, and it ties it into Resi 2's continuity perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by C'
                      Not confirmed
                      In a recent (ie. last week) PS2 beta test survey, RE:Outbreak was listed as being an upcoming online game for Europe...

Comment

Originally posted by Papercut
                        Originally posted by C'
                        Not confirmed
                        In a recent (ie. last week) PS2 beta test survey, RE:Outbreak was listed as being an upcoming online game for Europe...
                        Frankly it would be a waste of time to release an offline version of this game and Capcom and Sony know it.

Comment

Originally posted by C'
                          Frankly it would be a waste of time to release an offline version of this game and Capcom and Sony know it.
                          I can't really understand how this could work online really. What happens when you turn the game off: do your team mates carry on without you; does the game end until you all go back online? How many people can join a single game at a time, is it invitation only or just a free for all? Who's da boss - do you take or give orders/ tactics?

It probably could work offline if the team-mate AI was sufficient.

Comment

I just set everything up to play online last week with Capcom and KDD's service (900 yen a month but for all of Capcom's titles: just Zeta and Outbreak right now) and let me say that the KDD broswer is trash. Whenever, there was a problem in the form and it went back to it, the encoding was never translated correctly so I'd have to start from the beginning to fix it. Anyhow, once online, you can choose from the free scenario server or the other one which plays through the game. I chose free scenario since it had the most people playing (100+). Then you look through rooms for available games and distinctions are made for gamers using a HDD or just the DVD so you can pair up with players who'll have similar load times. The online game is set up very similarly to PSO but there are no experience points or rare items which you can carry over. All there is a points total which you use to buy stuff in the game such as extra characters and art galleries. Chatting while in a scenario isn't possible but each character has a number of lines that are voiced which you can manually activate. There's also a talk button which spouts some funny stuff. I'm not sure how they'll get some of the quotes pass the censors as in 1 scene, I pull out my gun and aim at a fellow member saying, "Take this bitch", while the other person said, "**** you", and runs off. It's a novelty but can be quite funny. Overall, I expect the game to last for a short time since it does not have the rare items bit but it's fun to play as the atmosphere with 4 players is much different plus when you die online, you become a zombie that can walk around, moan and knockdown doors.

Comment

I have to say that, although I'm limited to offline play, I'm absolutely loving this game. Somewhat superficially, I'm finding the atmosphere to be the real hook; this is as close to a bona-fide zombie movie as the series has ever got. From the teamwork, characterisation and sheer volume of zombies to the excellent score (very late-season X-Files in places), the whole thing seems cinematic in an entirely different way to the other RE/BH games.

I'm pleasantly surprised that Capcom have chosen not to be self-indulgent this time, and have relaxed their obsession with plot and minutiae for the sake of some good ol' fashioned homage.

Comment

Working...
                              X