MaxPayne 2 Fall of Max Payne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MaxPayne 2 Fall of Max Payne

Surprised that in a week no one has mentioned it.

Any way I bought it Saturday (for Xbox) and completed it Sunday night. In the games defense I was playing it a lot, on Saturday until past 3AM, also the quick save didn?t make the game any harder.
    I liked the first Max Payne and wasn?t disappointed with the sequel, it was everything I expected and I enjoyed it a lot. Rag doll effect is great, nothing better than seeing bodies fly into the air after an explosion and in glorious slow-mo.

You vill tell usz more.

Or vee vill burn ze veasel!

(To clarify, tell us a bit more. This was on my list for a long time -- I'm also a fan of the first game -- but MP2 started to look a bit thickheaded compared with the more cerebral releases arriving at the mo', DX2 etc. Essentially I was thinking I'd wait for it to cost less money. But it's hard, because I do so very much like shooting things in slow motion. And ragdoll is always welcome. What say you about the glitching? Do NPCs and Max still get embedded up to the shoulders in concrete when they fall the "wrong" way? And so on. Discuss.)

Comment

I played the PC version of both Max Paynes, and basically I never finished the first one, as by a combination of event I lost my save file and I couldn't be arsed.

The 2nd one however I also didn't finish and that was because I got bored of the play style, story and level design. The physics engine was the only thing keeping me going, but there is only so much rag doll physics and boxes flying through the air that can keep your attention.

Jumping side ways, slow motion whilst shooting just seems a bit lame these days, without something else decent to back it up. I also found the game exceptionally easy, I think I reloaded about 5 times before I stopped playing.

Comment

I'm pretty much in the same boat as JibberX here. I've played both games on the PC. I played the first one but didn't finish simply because I lost interest but I did finish the second game. I think this was mainly because I kind of enjoyed the story line and wanted to know what would happen next. I thought that the voice acting was well done and some of the level designs were good while others a bit well - generic I suppose.

The rag-doll physics are great. You sometimes get cut scenes where you kill a guy and he'll fall off over a balcony but you according to where you hit him sometimes he'll fall over the edge off a high rise building but others he just rebounds off the wall and slumps to the floor. If you hit someone with a grenade from close range they go flying for some comedy moments.

I kept seeing the problem where if you kill someone on a higher level for example their feet or head can be seen from the level below (you can even still shoot them).

I suppose its one of those games that's worth renting really because you can finish it in a relatively short time. You can try and finish the game a couple more times for a different ending but I've seen it and can say that it probably isn't worth the effort. The first time you finish you get a couple of bonus games but I couldn't be arsed with those.

Comment

Great game!

Short and sweet, unlike a lot of games these days.

Great story too!

Comment

Originally posted by ThoseOfTheUnlight
            Great game!

Short and sweet, unlike a lot of games these days.

Great story too!
            I think that's part of the reason why I stuck with it til the end. I had heard that the game didn't last long and they do cram plenty of stuff in. I finished it in about the same time that I took to do MGS and MGS2.

Comment

I've not got this myself yet (too many games to play as it is), but I do mean to download the frankly obscenely large (in filesize, certainly - apparently its fairly long, too) demo soon.

For those with a PC to cope with it, that version can be had for ?20-?25 on the highstreet already, so I wouldn't even bother recommending spending ?5+ buying a magazine for the coverdisc demo, just skip to the game.

Comment

Yeah the pc version is 19.99 in GAME.

Absolute bargain!

Comment

I played the PC version at a friend?s house about a week before I got it.

I only played the first few levels but in that time I noticed a few lims disappearing into walls and objects, also a body that seemed to be floating off the floor.

I didn?t notices any of that in the Xbox version, bodies fell over objects and into walls without losing lims, It probably was there but I never see it. I did notices at time bodies bounced a bit, If you shot some one who is in the corner of the room he would fall back and bounce off each wall for a while until he finally settled. There was a bit of frameskip in the Xbox version, but not in the places that you would expect like burring buildings, it would happen more often in big rooms.

Anyweyz It was good, I might even play over the first game again this weekend.

Comment

The PC version is so much nicer looking than the Xbox version its unreal.

Bump up the resolution on the PC version and then go and play the Xbox version again.. it will seem like you have smeared your eyes with vaseline.

Comment

Too short. Not enough level variety compared to the first one. Not worth more than ?15 IMHO.

Comment

Loved the PC version from start to finish

Originally posted by spoiler
                        The bit with Vinnie Gognitti in the Captain Baseball Bat Boy suit is class. Made me laugh where his costumes head is too big to get through the door, and when you get into his flat and find he's a complete collector

I think I have the hots for Mona Sax and I don't know why

Comment

you know if you complete the game on dead on arrival mode,

Originally posted by spoiler
                          a certain special lady doesnt die

Comment

Much prefered the original Max Payne (anyone noticed how the bullet time in Max Payne 2 is much faster .......... no more cool 'bullets flying through the air and thudding into the bad guy' moments :/ - why mess with the games selling point??)

Havn't tried MP2 on the XBox but enjoyed the original more on the XBox than on the pc. For some games a big tv > high resolution.

Comment

Originally posted by H-Man
                              Much prefered the original Max Payne (anyone noticed how the bullet time in Max Payne 2 is much faster...... no more cool 'bullets flying through the air and thudding into the bad guy' moments :/ - why mess with the games selling point??)
                              It's still there, the more people you kill in bullet time the slower it gets.

Comment

Working...
                              X