Neo Geo owners - are they worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neo Geo owners - are they worth it?

I went to hte NTSC-uk meet at Marcus's place the other weekend, and got a lift down with our forums' DavidFallows, who introduced me to the charms of the Neo Geo world. I'm seriously, seriously tempted with dabbling in the uber-expensive Neo world.

However, at ~200 a game, how satisfied are you with your purchases? For a beginner, what titles should I get that I won't be seriously disappointed with? Which bargain titles are worth picking up? Also, how do the games compare to, say, the Dreamcast versions?

Some kind, genius-like person wrote a really good article here...

I also posted a ream of stuff elsewhere, which I'll try and get for you.

Comment

They are expensive but they are damn fine pieces of hardware too. Its worth the money just for the aesthetics of the machine, lovely lines and a nice satisfying click when you plug in the carts.

You can pick up some decent fighters at reasonable prices like Sam Sho 1 and 2 and the Fatal Fury series wont set you back more than ?20 a game.

You cant totally compare it to the DC ports though as a lot of the earlier releases havent been ported over. The likes of Waku Waku 7 are much better on the neo geo compared to the Saturn version, but is it worth the extra expense? probably not, but I had always wanted an AES machine anyway so can always find a way of justifying a purchase for it.

I havent played too many games for it (as it is an expensive hobby) but the Metal Slug series is brilliant and I always enjoyed the Fatal Fury series too.

Comment

ive just got into the AES scene and i would say it is very much worth it. i only have fatal fury special (cost me ?25 shipped) and samsho 2 (?21 shipped). both of them are highly enjoyable and it is a lovely piece of hardware. i would say go for it

Comment

I'd go the MVS route if i were you, the money you'd save on Metal Slug X alone would buy you an mvs board and supergun, also get the "universal bios (15quid)" and you can enable AES mode on the MVS cart.

Yes thats right, MVS carts have the home cart built in! (pause and option menu etc..) All you're paying for it the damn box.

Metal slug 1: AES ?1000+
          MVS(with the aes built in) ?40 approx

The cheapness of MVS carts just goes to show how much AES collectors are being ripped of just for "rare" games. Pointless, like an orange
          At the end of the day if you want to play games go the MVS route, and If you're a collector (BAH!) and wanna pay 10094476 times more just a pretty box go AES.

I know what i'd rather buy

Comment

The MVS+supergun route is definitely worth it(plus the RGB picture is fantastic). AES is too if you can stomach those sort of prices for the less common games/newer releases.
            As for me, I'm sticking to MVS for now, I know they're not as pretty on the shelf but the price advantage more than outweighs that downside in my books

My current faves are Last Blade, KOF 98/2000, Samsho 2 and Real Bout Fatal Fury Special. There's quite a few good Puzzle games too, Puzzle Bobble(MVS only), Magical Drop 2 and Puzzle de Pon are the ones that come to mind instantly. None of these will break the bank in a big way on AES and are really cheap on MVS.
            I like all the Slug games(haven't played 5 yet) but Slug 1 is waaay overpriced(?1000+ I think) imo, so if going AES get a conversion for ?150ish

I'd say that you couldn't really go wrong with any of the titles I've listed and there's plenty more good ones out there

Comment

A few examples of prices I've paid on MVS:

Last Blade+Samurai Showdown 2-?25 delivered
              Last Blade 2 $28+shipping
              Real Bout FF Special-$15+shipping
              Real Bout FF 2- $18+shipping
              KOF 96-$16+shipping
              KOF 98-$27+shipping
              KOF 99-$10+shipping
              KOF 2000 w/ art set-$56+shipping
              Samurai Showdown-$15 shipped
              Magical Drop 2-$18+shipping

Comment

Originally posted by Ex_mosquito
                At the end of the day if you want to play games go the MVS route, and If you're a collector (BAH!) and wanna pay 10094476 times more just a pretty box go AES.
                Pretty boxes for MVS carts can be found here:

8)

Comment

AES. not really worth it, you can spend all that money on a lot of other (better) games.

MVS. now we're talking. sensible money for games that seem to get people misty eyed and highly excitable, but in the cold light of day, aren't that amazing. ok, Metal Slug series does rock, but besides that...

i've sold both my Neo Geo AES and MVS. i just didn't use them.

remember kids, just my personal opinions.

Comment

To be honest I own every single neo conversionn on Saturn dc etc.

I had a neo cd when they 1st came out, then got rid because of the unbearable loading.

I have just entered the game and purchased an aes.

I have 5 games and after a ridiculous amount of searching, and I suppose cash I have just won one of the best fighters ever on Ebay!

Rage Of the Dragons.

The format is superb everything fom the snap lock boxes to the whole experience of owning the game as it's meant to be played.

2d fighters are my favourite genre and I am gaining so mucj pleasure from buliding up a collection.

Do it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Treble
                      Some kind, genius-like person wrote a really good article here...

I also posted a ream of stuff elsewhere, which I'll try and get for you.
                      Aye, I've read your stuff, it's where I started

So the general consensus is that the AES stuff just ain't worth it?

Comment

the aesthetics of the aes are very expensive.

But priceless in my eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Dj Lucky Strike
                          To I have 5 games and after a ridiculous amount of searching, and I suppose cash I have just won one of the best fighters ever on Ebay!

Rage Of the Dragons.
                          When you say just won, have you actually received the game yet?
                          I hope you played this one before buying

Comment

Pretty boxes for MVS carts can be found here:

http://www.netreach.net/%7Escop/
                            Yeah, i picked up some of those the other week

The format is superb everything fom the snap lock boxes to the whole experience of owning the game as it's meant to be played.
                            - The Experience of owning a game?:l
                            - NEOGEO games start off in the arcade(MVS) not at the home, why is AES how they're meant to be played? these are arcade games, they're meant to to played in an arcade on a cab

Comment

I too read Treble's article and after hearing loads of people harping on about the neo I decided to purchase an MVS board.

I was fully expecting to be disappointed - after all the hardware is ancient and the games are pretty old.

I had been trying to get into CVS2 on PS2 but somehow it just didn't click with me. The presentation felt cheesy and I didn't like the controls

After thinking that the SNK characters just felt more stylish somehow, I opted for King Of Fighters '98. This game is amazing! Everything from the art style to the pace of the game itself is superb.

The one thing that I think shines through on the SNK fighters is the sheer personality. Characters are beautifully drawn and animated with real care and attention to detail.

Unsurprisingly these games make you feel like you are 12 years old again and back in the arcade especially when playing on MVS hardware with a real arcade stick. The insert coin noise alone is enough to send shivers down your spine.

In short, take the plunge and go for MVS. If you like it you can always sell for the same as you paid and invest in the AES if you wish to collect.

The graphics obviously can't match the likes of Guilty Gear XX but the fact that people still choose to PLAY them - not just collect - is testament to their amazing playability.

Comment

Working...
                              X