Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Views on Turbographix 16 / PC Engine

Hi all,

Im quite new to these forums, i.e. registered yesterday.

After having a quick look around i noticed there wasnt much about the TG-16 or PCE and was wondering what peoples views on these machine were.

I own a TG-16 and think its a great machine. I can remember years ago looking at the ads in the back of Mean Machine mag and so wishing i could afford a machine.

My only major hassle with the TG-16 is getting the US games. Ravengames are good but they only have a small collection of US games. Its a case of constantly checking back to see whats there. In saying that still managed to get Devil Crash, the best pinabll ever.

Should i bite the bullet and get a PCEngine version so i have easier access to games ?

Does anyone know a good sites for US TG-16 games ?

Any though on the machines would be interesting.

Cheers

You can get an adapter that will let you play the jap hucards on your US machine.

Check out ebay, Telegames of all people sell them quite cheap on there for about ?35 I think. Cheaper than getting a PCE anyway.

Devil Crash does indeed rock 8)

Comment

Hey there,

Originally posted by memories
      Should i bite the bullet and get a PCEngine version so i have easier access to games ?
      I would say so, quite a few games didn't make it to the states, and the jpn hardware looks a lot nicer.

Does anyone know a good sites for US TG-16 games ?
      Not many in the uk I don't think, back in 'the day' it was mostly jpn releases that were imported here.

www.videogameimports.com get a lot of jpn hardware and games in, should you decide to follow that route instead

As Big Al says, you could buy an adaptor to run jpn games on your tgs, but the cost would be almost as much as getting a cheap pc engine.

Comment

I keep meaning to buy a PC Engine - I want to play Gunhed on it's native hardware

Comment

Cheers guys.

I have heard of the adaptors but i always thought they were pretty expensive.

Will have a look at that www.videogameimports.com though and see whats there. Gotta agree with Papercut and say that jpn PCE is a lot nicer than the TG-16, it is one ugly piece of kit. Guess its whats inside that counts.

Ive managed to source a JPN PCE with Bomberman 93, Bomberman 94 and another version of bomberman for a good price and im humming and heying about getting it. Could well be my chrimbo present to myself.

Gunhed is a great shooter just dont know why they changed the name to "Blazing Lasers" for the TG-16 version.

Comment

Will have a look at that www.videogameimports.com though and see whats there. Gotta agree with Papercut and say that jpn PCE is a lot nicer than the TG-16, it is one ugly piece of kit. Guess its whats inside that counts.
            The TG16 is one ugly console... ^_^; However you can pick them up very cheap, which means that a couple of games are playable if you don't understand Japanese. Although if you get a Duo or a PC Engine CD-ROM unit then you can always play US CD games on the Japanese machines... ^_^

Ive managed to source a JPN PCE with Bomberman 93, Bomberman 94 and another version of bomberman
            Like Bomberman then?

Gunhed is a great shooter just dont know why they changed the name to "Blazing Lasers" for the TG-16 version.
            Because Gunhed is an anime series that Hudson didn't have the rights to outside Japan, as very few people would care about the name they just renamed it. ^_^

Comment

Had a look at www.videogameimports.com and looks to be a good site. Will probably use them in the future.

MD quote
              " However you can pick them up very cheap, "
              Yip, got mine for ?45 with a copy of Blazing Lazers. Cheers as well for the info on the game, i didnt know it was based on Anime.

As to my other dilema, think that im going to go for it and get myself a PCE to complement my TG-16.

Not going for that one i sourced as there is only so much Bomberman i can take , no matter how good it is.

Going to get one with at least R-type 1 (maybe 2 as well). and possibly parodius.

Just gotta convince the girlfriend that its a good idea, going for a house at the start of next year and need all the spends for that. Sure she will come round. Thank god its christmas.

Comment

Is it actually possible to use one of them converters on the turbo express? I "won" a TE on evilbay and haven't really found a use for it. Aside from failing to "win" devil crush on countless occasions.

Comment

If you are interested in the PC Engine/ Turbographx, you absolutely MUST buy the Japanese version. MD will probably know the exact figures, but iirc there were < 100 titles released in the US, and > 1000 in Japan!

If you are interested in the history of the machine, there is an excellent article in an issue of Edge. In a nutshell, it bombed in the west, hence the low number of releases. However it did superbly well in Japan, and had an incredibly long lifespan. It was also the biggest selling console in Japan for a short period of time....

Comment

Well i bit the bullet and just went and ordered a machine. It was delivered yesterday and ive got R-Type 1 & 2 (had forgotten how hard this game was).

Its a great little machine and now has pride of place in my collection.

Just wondered what Hu-Card's you guys might recommend for me to look out for.

Comment

I've been "hummin' and aaahing" about buying an Engine for ages.

Is it possible to save high scores etc. on the machine, or do you need to get some sort of a memory card..?

Comment

Just spotted this.

Just wondered what Hu-Card's you guys might recommend for me to look out for.
                        I like:

R Type I and II (obviously)
                        Bomberman (and sequels)
                        Galaga 88
                        Pac Land
                        PC Kid (and sequels)
                        Adventure Island
                        Parasol Stars
                        Alien Crush
                        Devil Crash
                        Fantasy Zone
                        Don Doko Don
                        Populous

and thats without starting on the shooters proper...

There is also a thread dedicated to cd rom recommendations here:

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
                          Is it possible to save high scores etc. on the machine, or do you need to get some sort of a memory card..?
                          The cd-rom2 interface unit (and later cd combo consoles) has memory storage built in, so some cd games and later hu card games could save.

There was also a stand alone memory base unit that did the same thing.

There are also a handful of hu cards that had built in memory storage. Populous, I think, was one.

Comment

Cheers Papercut,

Ive got PC Kid 1 & 2, Devil Crash & Pacland + a few other on the TG-16. PC Kid is quality, will be interesting to see the updates that are coming out soon.

The Adventure Island game though is that the one thats the PCE version of a wonderboy game ? I might be totally wrong with that though.

Might have to hold back for my next purchases, ive spent a fortune the last few weeks on old games. A Gamestation has just opened up near me a few weeks ago and ive spent a small fortune on PS1, Megadrive, SNES and N64 games. Got some bargains though so cant really complain (plenty of others to do that for me).

Comment

The Adventure Island game though is that the one thats the PCE version of a wonderboy game ? I might be totally wrong with that though.
                              Thats right yeah, Adventure Island is Wonder Boy - The Dragon's Trap without the Wonder Boy licensing (Sega own the character, but Westone developed both versions of the game).

see here for more info:

There is also Bikkuriman World, which is Wonder Boy in Monster Land (my favourite of the series).

As well as Wonder Boy III and Dynastic Hero on PC Engine CD.

Comment

Working...
                              X