Crash Nitro Kart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crash Nitro Kart

Some of you will remember Crash Team Racing on the PlayStation. Back then, it was argued that the game was a true rival for Nintendo's Mario Kart, and while everyone scoffed the game was still a really great game, and loads of fun in multiplayer.

Crash Nitro Kart is just like the original. And by saying 'just like it', I mean it's almost identical. The game system remains unchanged, though there is something available called 'team up' (I'm yet to determine what this does). The tracks are similar to the ones before them, and are really, really well designed. The graphics on the PS2 version (which I'm playing) are great, and though loading is a bit of a bitch it's lots of fun.

There must be something in the longevity that makes it bad, because magazines have all given it poor scores eg 53% in NGC, even crap scores on IGN . But I think these were all given because the new Mario Kart is available, and there are some who don't want to admit that it has strong competition and only mark it down on the basis that it's not Mario (or because Crash Bandicoot is traditionally a PlayStation brand...)

I like it, and I would recommend it for someone into kart racing. It has a really nice boosting/powersliding system and though the weapons are admittedly weak, it's a lot of fun to play.

I have been a Crash fan since the first game on the PS1, however i agree that this game just lack the mayhem and special something that Mario Kart has. I dont know what it is but its just not there for me.

However its not as bad as its being made out, its already a budget game at ?20 in most stores on Xbox and PS2.

Still full whack on Gamecube though where it has a rival.

Comment

Originally posted by ?pint
      But I think these were all given because the new Mario Kart is available
      I don't buy this, why would the PS and Xbox magazines rate it so low then? As far as I've heard, it could be mistaken for a straight port it's so similar to the original. I guess it's gotta be better than Bomberman Kart though...

Comment

I have import copy of Bomberman Kart on the PS2, glad I only paid ?15 for it, it's nothing compared to MKDD.

Comment

"there are some who don't want to admit that it has strong competition and only mark it down on the basis that it's not Mario "

wouldnt this be more because its a ripoff of another game, not simply because its "OMFGNOTMARIO" I'd expect the same behaviour if nintendo ripped off a crash bandicoot game (haha not likely with crash being quite quite terrible)

Comment

Well, that's not necessarily the case. Of course people can draw links between this game and Mario Kart, it's only natural - they're both kart games. But unlike other genres, people always associate kart racing with Mario Kart, and instantly label every other game as ****. People don't accuse every FPS they see as being a doom clone. All Crash takes from Mario Kart is concept, and if you were to actually have played the game rather than just troll this thread, you would understand that they're actually quite different.

It kinda proves my point - if it isn't Mario, people accuse it of being a boring, faceless clone.

Anyway, it's not. I still enjoy it, and it's loads of fun in multiplayer too.

Comment

Originally posted by ?pint
              Well, that's not necessarily the case. Of course people can draw links between this game and Mario Kart, it's only natural - they're both kart games. But unlike other genres, people always associate kart racing with Mario Kart, and instantly label every other game as ****. People don't accuse every FPS they see as being a doom clone. All Crash takes from Mario Kart is concept, and if you were to actually have played the game rather than just troll this thread, you would understand that they're actually quite different.

It kinda proves my point - if it isn't Mario, people accuse it of being a boring, faceless clone.

Anyway, it's not. I still enjoy it, and it's loads of fun in multiplayer too.
              Do you know if there is a battle mode a la Mario Kart for multiplayer?

Comment

Working...
              X