Kunoichi (Nightshade)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kunoichi (Nightshade)

Unfortunatly although this game (PS2) arrived a few days ago, Ive not had the chance to sit down with it for any more than a few minutes, will try to do so today. Initially though it seems quite good fun, the opening level has you fighting on top of a large stealth plane flying between large skyscrapers, its effective graphically rather than gobsmacking. The first thing to hit me was the instancy and fast response of the central charecter, control seems quite easy to get to grip with I found. Ill play some more today and hopefully capture some footage for you, I always liked Shinobi after Id gotten used to it so have high hopes for this one. If I have the time Ill capture some footage, whilst our review of this should follow within a few weeks.

for some reason the first level reminds me of a boss battle from PSO - stuck on an 'island' (stealth fighter) going down a river (city street) with attacks from something you can't get close to.... all in all i wasn't that impressed from early play but it might get better the further in you get.

one thing i will say, they seem to have sorted out the camera problems which plagued shinobi ... and the graphics are top notch

camps

Comment

I had a quick blast on this the other night and it seemed like a decent enough game on my, albeit, limited play-time.

Will play more over Christmas for sure.

Comment

Im onto the fifth level now, and to be honest am finding this to be very unremarkable. Whilst the control is snappy and tight, the movement of the game is so fast that I find myself constantly having to contend with the slowness and inadequecy of the ingame camera which is frustrating at times. After 5 levels there has been nothing remarkable at all, the levels themselves are reasonably expansive yet are also very dull and uninteresting, which is also a complaint I would level against the enemies in the game so far. Annoyingly for me also, is that the charecter just "sticks" to the wall, too many time have I tried to jump over a wall and ended up sticking to it, meaning I have to then double jump again to negotiate it which is a bit hit and miss, perhaps with practise this is something that will be less of a problem.

I find myself struggling to keep at this game, I do like the central charecter a lot, she looks good and is very stylish, but so far for me thats the only high point of a otherwise very average game so far indeed which needs to get a lot better, and quickly.

Kunoichi In-Game Movie 7Mb

Comment

Judging by the video you're playing it on easy. No wonder you're bored.

Comment

The video was shot on easy mode, you are right (good spot by the way), however Ive been playing the game on normal setting apart from that. For me its just not very interesting at all, mostly due to the bland, uninspired level design so far. I do like the central charecter however despite her Power Rangers suit, and chaining enemies and then watching them drop is always quite rewarding. I just wish there was a little more, so far its not a better game than Shinobi for me.

You know that feeling whereby you find yourself forcing yourself to play a game, rather than wanting to play it for the enjoyment of it all? Im at that point right now, this one needs to be sent off on Monday for review and in all honesty I dont think Ill miss it. I hope Vaipon feels differently about the game

Comment

I know what you mean. I want to like PS2 Shinobi but there's something about the game that makes it a chore. Maybe if the I wasn't stuck on the last boss for 3 months I'd be more inclined to persevere with the oboro coin collecting.

Comment

I can understand why people dont seem to like the Shinobi games. You really need to get into them to start enjoying what they offer. Tate-ing a boss at the end of a level for example. This requires a lot of skill and strategy to pull off. You need to know the exact positions of the enemies and in which order to strike at them to successfully pull off a 'boss tate'. Having said this, its extremely satisfying when you are able to pull it off.
                For me, shinobi and kunoichi are really satisfying to play.

Comment

does the japanese or korean version of kunoichi feature english language voices or text at all? as an option?

Comment

Well, the UK version came out friday I'd I picked up my copy yesterday.
                    I've put in a couple hours on it and just finished level 4.
                    My thoughts? Well its taking me a while to get used to the 'jump-dash-attack-jump-dash' gameplay mechanics, but mabye thats just because I'm a bit of a 'tard when faced with more than 2 buttons for combat .

The level structure can be a bit annoying - the game basically locks you in one 'room' and proceeds to spawn wave after wave of enemy at you before eventually allowing you to progress forwards. Its a cheap trick to make the short levels seem longer. The lack of variation between enemies dosent help either.

Still, its not terrible. It puts up a good challenge and the controls are nicely responsive. Load times are quick and - although its not the best looking PS2 game in recent years - everything looks nice enough and the game does run smoothly.
                    There also seems to be plenty of hidden stuff throughout each level, and the option to replay any stage once you finish it is nice. As you get a rank after each level there is some incentive to go though them again.

The UK version features a full English dub, which is allright - nothing spectacular, but there are no truly awfull voices. The Lip synching is a bit hit-and-miss though.
                    You also get full 60hz support - and my copy only cost ?26.99 so I guess you cant complain too much at that price.

Comment

"When the winds change, the clouds must follow... I never taught you to hold onto unnecessary bonds..."
                      - Jimushi

Hmm... Nightshade... everything which made Sega great in their 16-bit days permeates throughout this latest release. The music blasts furiously urging you to keep playing, the levels are action-packed and exciting (although graphically not much to look at), and the bosses... my god the bosses... fighting them is memorable and pure adrenalin. Like the last Shinobi, there are some really good characters too.

A fun addition to the Shinobi legacy. One of those arcade action titles that deserves to be played over and over again in coming years. However it's probably too intense to be played in anything but short bursts, so it is NOT for everyone. If you didn't enjoy wielding a soul-eating demon sword in the last installment, then you probably won't enjoy overseeing Sega's new ninja babe slicing and dicing here...

Every Sega fan though, shouldn't miss this great game!

Games like this remind me of why I love gaming in the first place...

Comment

Working...
                      X