Beyond Good and Evil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beyond Good and Evil

I was astonished to note the other day that very few people seem to be talking about this game. A couple of people seemed to have tried it though, and convinced me enough (okay, so it didn't take much, especially at ?20!) to buy it the other day.

I have now played about three and a half hours and I'm really enjoying it. There has been a great variety, with standard platforming type things, with puzzle sections, along with chasing a looter and fighting a monster in a hovercraft, and a sort of air hockey minigame, just to name a few. There is also an ongoing mission to photo all the types of animals in the world, and I'm actually finding that really enjoyable, sad though it may sound. I suppose that by inhabiting the world with these creatures, many of which are just incidental, it makes it more immersive or something. Either way, I appreciate it.

Graphically it is quite solid, and though the PAL version may be 50Hz, widescreen only and occasionally there are slight lapses in the framerate, I really couldn't care. It isn't anything that gets in the way of the gameplay.

One thing that isn't amazingly important that I really like is the interface, in particular the radial menus. You have everything around a circle, and you select by pointing in the correct direction with the analogue stick. There is a very satisfying "spiral" version for entering door codes and the like. It is certainly far more intuitive than the classic on-screen keyboard often used in console games, and perhaps is something that should be adopted elsewhere...

It's getting late, and I haven't really got much to add for now. Suffice to say that it is one of those irritating games where it is really hard to stop yourself playing! I look forward to hearing other people's thoughts!

I finished it earlier this week. It's fantastic, just totally, utterly lovely. A real pity it seems to have been DOA, saleswise - it deserved better.

"D-B-U-T-T: Don't break up the team!"

Comment

I hope it sells well otherwise we might not see a sequel. What pisses me off is how people can talk the talk when they rant on about how they want originality but when it comes, nobody really gives a toss. ft:

Comment

Originally posted by Cobertizo
        Graphically it is quite solid, and though the PAL version may be 50Hz, widescreen only and occasionally there are slight lapses in the framerate, I really couldn't care. It isn't anything that gets in the way of the gameplay.
        Thanks for the impressions.

I'm eager for this too. But I won't be picking it up yet for those very reasons listed. I'm sick of naff PS2 PAL conversions.

I think the Xbox version will (hopefully) be released early next year.

Comment

I need to get this, I need to get this, I need to get this...

Comment

Hmmm- I am quite interested in this too. I dont read up on games as much as I used to, so I hadnt heard much about it before reading the Edge review. But it sounds quite good. Thanks for the advice

Its on sale at amazon on the ps2 for ?17 by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Concept
              Originally posted by Cobertizo
              Thanks for the impressions.

I'm eager for this too. But I won't be picking it up yet for those very reasons listed. I'm sick of naff PS2 PAL conversions.

I think the Xbox version will (hopefully) be released early next year.
              I think the Xbox version is widescreen-only too...

Comment

Been deliberating about this one over Christmas, considering everywhere else it's still ?30 for this, so ?17 from Amazon is a steal.

Comment

Originally posted by tiddles
                  I think the Xbox version is widescreen-only too...
                  Ah. ****.

Thanks for the heads-up.

When I heard about the wide-screen enforced mode, I thought it was just another (and more polite) way of European magazines/websites saying 'heavily bordered PS2 PAL conversion'.

It's something Sony's console is really beginning to struggle with and be continually embarassed by, especially in comparison to the relatively fixed standards present in the majority of European releases on the GC and Xbox.

Still, even if there is a widescreen-mode in the Xbox version of Beyond Good & Evil, I'd imagine it will at least have a better frame rate. If there is a multi-format game release these days, I nearly always go for it on Microsoft's console.

Comment

I'm about 5 hours into the Xbox version, and I'm enjoying this a lot. I just love the completely overblown style and visuals, it really does feel like a 40 hour epic squished into a 10 hour game.

Very likeable

Comment

I've completed the xbox version and its really fun, one thing though before you : small spoiler :S but worth reading it so you can act on it

Originally posted by spoiler
                      Goto The Moon
                      fork your saves, as you cant come back, and thus continue with sidequests or whatever.

Just a thought

Comment

I've got the PS2 version (costing a mere ?15!! and I'm VERY impressed - it's extremely enjoyable, well made, looks great, plays great - it has the feel of a good RARE game - with a bit of Rayman sprinkled on it - it's THAT good.

I don't get the 'short' game thing either - I've managed to spend 10 hours+ exploring and I've only completed upto the Factory - I have about 1/3rd of the pearls etc. etc. - so lots more to do for me

It's not a race y'know - well apart from the Races

You are mad if you let this one go for the mere ?15 it costs (Blockbuster's Sale and a few other places) frankly - ...

JP

Comment

Thank god the AMD patch fixed the crash I was getting, soon after I got the hovercraft working. ft:

Beautiful, beautiful game.

Comment

Any recommendations on what version to get? I've got a US GC and a PAL PS2? I've seen it dead cheap on PS2 down the shops, but i'll import the GC version if it's markedly better. Any advice?

Comment

I would say that you might as well get the PS2 version, due to its price, and the fact that the technical flaws of the PS2 version aren't that marked. Though Concept would disagree! Also, I would think it would be nice to support the game in the UK, due to its apparent poor sales (which is I suppose the reason for cheapness...).

Comment

Working...
                              X