Fire Emblem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire Emblem

I'm writing this to soothe my impatience as I wait for my GBA to recharge - Fire Emblem is compulsive, challenging and seductive as it covers the bases of good story, tight gameplay and lovely animation with ease. If you dont know the game at all, it's turn based strategic combat, a bit like Final Fantasy Tactics or Advance Wars (also made by Intelligent Systems).

I've played nearly forty hours on the clock, but actually many more as I've restarted several chapters. This because the game is saved from your last action - mess up and you have to live with it or start again from the beginning of the chapter. It's generally easy to fulfil the chapter's goal - win a battle, protect a character etc - but it becomes tricky to do this without losing a character. And you won't want to lose any characters, either because like me you get attached to them or purely because you want to keep a team strong in every field - many types of magic wielder, archers, knights, pirates etc. The game is so good that I enjoy redoing missions straight away. On the other hand the pleasure of dealing the telling blow with your last shot is great.

Anyway, is anyone else enjoying this?

Yes I'm enjoying it too.

I haven't played it as much as you, closer to 15 hours play from me inspite of owning it since it came out.

Initially I was put off by the simplistic graphics and the sheer amount of text, but after a bit it clicked with me and I like it now.
    It's very Advance Wars in style I found, but with a RPG take on the preceedings. It's good how you keep the same characters and level them up to make them stronger, rather than in AW where its the same old units pitted against each other with the same moves.

Comment

I love this game, it's real swell. The thing I hated about Advance Wars was that the enemy would keep building more planes , boats and tanks etc. and that would make me really lose my way in what I had to acheive. In this there are actually characters that you want to keep alive so you try and get them through. I'm a bit worried on how long it will last though , as I haven't played it loads but I seem to be nearing the end.

Comment

More people should be playing it. This is an outstanding game.
        The story ties in very nicely to the actual gameplay in subtle ways, and the gameplay is strong.

It's a much better game than FFTA.

Comment

The game is actually longer than what it seems,electric_warrior, because...

Originally posted by spoiler
          ...after you finish Lyn's chapter , the game continues with Elywood...
          Completly in love with the game although I had to start it from beggining several times (damn Florina...keeps dying on me...better start leveling up...) ft:

Comment

Cool , I could actually play this game for ever me thinks!

I was quite fussed about getting all the characters and keeping everyone alive but when I think about it , it's good if I don't get everyone as then there'll be a lot more replay value . Maybe something to keep in mind if your playing it through first time?

Comment

I don't know where everyone else is, but i'm on the 16th chapter now and i'm begining to find it bloody hard. Although that may just be me sucking at games . The CPUs seem to be going for my weaker characters. Still a bloody good game though.

Comment

Hi all,

I bought this game a few days ago and have put about 3 hours into it so far. Whilst i can see why everyone thinks it's an excellent game (intelligent systems will always be a special developer for the outstanding advance wars), i cannot get even a little interested in this game.

The last game i played was Disgaea: Hour of Darkness on ps2 and invested around 150 hours into it. Fire Emblem seems like a simplified 2-d version of that game and consequently im not finding anything particularly new or innovative to keep me interested.

I'm on chapter 7 and have lost florina. I'm still getting hints and tips on each level - am i in the main game yet or is it still the tutorial? And does this have a war room option like advance wars? (my favourite part of the game).

Don't mean to put a downer on the thread at all as i can see why this is a good game. I just wish i'd played it before Disgaea. Might give it another go today and see what happens...

Comment

Well, let?s not try to forget that you're comparing a Ps2 game with a GbAdvance game....

And as I said before....
                  the initial eleven or so chapters are only tutorials...the true game only starts then
                  Don't be too harsh on judging fire emblem...if you give it enough time you'll find out it's a truly rewarding and challenging game

Comment

I haven't played it much because of M&L but my inital impressions are that it in essence very similar to Advance Wars (which isn't a bad thing) and seems to be a very polished game. The tutorial is really annoying me now as it is a lot more restrictive than a comparative tutorial in the original AW game but as soon as complete M&L this game will get more time dedicated to it.

Comment

I got this and Mario & Luigi both for Xmas and I played this once then put it down for about 3 days. When I next played it I became hooked with the story and characters and it does pick up a lot after a short while.

Comment

Yeah you guys were right, its a great little game. Bit unfair to compare it to disgaea but it was more of a case of me playing it straight after a long day at work and feeling too tired to actually get involved in it. I heard such good things about it that i think i expected to be hooked in immediately, regardless of how tired I was plus the fact that im still essentially only going through the tutorial stages! Bit silly of me really...

I restarted the game and am now on chapter 8 (having done chapter 7's sidequest). All the party are alive and well and i'm getting into it now!!

Gonna have another go before i sleep and try and get chap 8 done...

Comment

So hows everyone getting on then? I haven't done much cos i've been working but i'm on chapter 10. Saw the whole changing class thing in chap 9 but i'm a little confused...

Tutorial says that you can change class when you reach level 10, but you can carry on to level 20 anyway. Does getting to level 20 and then changing class carry over more stats (or give higher stats per level up after class change) then just changing at lvl 10?

Cheers
                          Muz

Comment

If you want to max out your characters stats then you should level up to 20 and only then change classes...but beware that later in the game unpromoted units are very easily killed.

Also keep in mind that the amount of class changing items is very limited.
                            In my opinion the best class is definetly the cavalier's class...once you promote them to paladins they'll be your team's main killer units.

Comment

I've finished this - for the moment anyway - and it really is a very good game. I don't want to give away anything but I would say there are many ways to play this. For example, I kept alive all but one of my characters (I lost that one by following an ingame suggestion, obviously without due care) and used most of them alot, but when i replay I may choose a minimum number and build them all up to the fullest stats.

The ratings are tough - I dropped from five to four stars in 'survival' from losing one character - but that encourages replay I think.

I could happily go back to this straight away, but other games demand my attention, including the earlier Fire Emblem games (no translations unfortunately for me... )

Comment

Working...
                              X