Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your biggest regrets. Have you passed up great deals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your biggest regrets. Have you passed up great deals?

We've all done it, passed up the ultimate retro deal, only to months later discover you error, leading to you wanting to wear nothing but sack cloth, and subsisting only on a thin broth of boiled fiosh heads as punishment for you grave mistake.

Well, maybe not as bad as that.

Heres one to get it rolling:

I passed up a mint copy of Catlevania SOTN on PSX, PAL and mint. Containing both the music CD and art book. For only ?19.99 second hand
    At the time I thought, myeh, Ive got the Japanese version, I dont need another.

Ive just seen it today going on ebay for over ?60, and its such a classic as well. I dont think Id sell it if I had a second copy.

Another one, I never knew about the DC bundle, of 3 games and VMU, and then I went and left the country. I had to pay 50 euro to buy one second hand after mine packed in here. Damn, wished Id picked up that bundle for cheap. >_<

Anyway, post your own, and maybe Ill post some others that are far worse than these.

I started this topic, after seeing that SOTN auction, and basically wanted to take some comfort in reading other peoples big regrets.

have fun!

PAL Boxset Samba de Amigo ?50, but did not know much about the game, i got it xmas 02 of ebay for ?110....

I too missed initially missed Castlevania:SOTN Ltd Ed. saw it reduced at an independent game shop in stockport about 98-99 for ?17. I did not know much about it and after a quick demo, silly me was influenced by my mate "its not even in 3d..."

I got lucky and spotted it for ?25 tho' about 3 years ago

Comment

Super duper Deluxe Pal NES set, with complete R.O.B., for about ?16 at a Cash Converters.

Cash Converters bought a bundle of NES stuff from some bloke, separated the games, and forgot to pack the R.O.B. cart in the Deluxe NES set.

They couldn't find the cart/refused to put it back (I forget which), so I ended up buying the set and returning it. Doh!

Comment

Metal Slug US AES $100

Ninja Master's AES $100

Magical Chase TG16 $15

Comment

A local importers was closing down years ago, and they was selling off new Neo-Geo AES's for ?50 and there games for ?25- ?40 each (samsho 2/3) King Of fighters 94/95 Final Fight 3 etc (this was back in 96)

asked them to keep some and i would be there the next day, got there at 9 am and they said that they had decided to send them all back to there reseller and forgot to keep the ones i wanted to one side

i was gutted

Comment

CEX were selling loads of Japanese and US SNES games, I wanted and passed on front mission, seiken densetsu for a tenner, (i like the boxes) US Mana for a fiver and Mario RPG for about 15 pounds. Then they dissapeared due to the nintendo pressure.

Also missed Pal Samba box set for ?60 and may others.

Did get a mint Capcom vs SNK 2 for ?10 just after it was released on the DC from Skill and then King of Fighters 99 Dream Match for the same amount from the same shop also mint. Looks like they didnt really know the value of second hand japanese dreamcast stuff that well.

Comment

Slightly off topic here but I might let this one slip depending on what you all say:

PAL Dreamcast full boxed complete with one controller ?21

PAL SS unboxed with 2 controllers all leads.

Im a bit hesitant abou the Saturn as no box but the dreamcast has been eating away at me since I left the shop at 4 this afternoon.

Should I buy or not.

And back to topic:

I let an auction of FF 3,4,5,6(I think) SNES NTSC jap (all complete) slip by me at 70 - thats less than ?20 a game. I decided not to to bother due to fear of a bidding war. But now I regret it a little bit as you never know how it could have turned out.

The box art is simply beutifull.

Comment

is the saturn modded? also, you never said how much the saturn costs.

Heres a big one, that many have said I am exagerating.
                I dont actually regret, but some might.

I saw a NeoGeo home system in Japan, boxed, but no controller or leads.
                And it was selling for the crazy price of:
                aprox ?18!
                Around Y3600 yen

I kid you not. Actually, the more I think of it, I dont think it worked. But I never asked the guy. I could never afford the cartgames, so gave it a miss.
                That and, at that price I was a bit suspicious.
                I thought it best to say this, since several posters months back thought I was nuts saying this.
                This was also the time when I went through airport security, with plenty of CD games concealled on my person without triggering alarms. It was a few years back mind, but some thought I was nuts too.

damn, Ive gone all paranoid tonight, keep feeling the need to justify myself.

Comment

as far as Im aware its not modded and its on sale for ?20.

yes or no??

That Neo Geo sounds a bit iffy to me, the shop could have easily obtained a set of leads etc and sold it for far more . Poss right it might have been broke. Then gain their the chance that it could have been repaired.

Comment

NeoGeo had a hash "#" symbol on the pricetag.

I have no idea what this is, but cheap games get it slapped on them.
                    Grandia on the saturn worked fine, and it was
                    Y300#
                    as stated on the tag, or like ?1-2

Worked fine, and had both booklets, I was very surprised to find it so cheap.
                    Who knows why? I saw a good 40% knocked off 2 identical games, simply because 1 had a visible nick in the disc. I took the nikked Princess Crown, and it ran fine. They can be very tempermental about mint games.
                    I couldnt ndertsand the label they slapped on it, so maybe I was missing something big written there.

I know what I regret now, not taking a picture of that box!

I would have made it my avatar probably, becuase Ill admit, it sounds far fetched.

EDIT:
                    as for the saturn? hmm, Id say no, since you might find it cheaper at a car boot sale. But if you must have it, buy it and mod it yourself.
                    Or mod it, and sell it for more.
                    Check ebay, and compare prices, and remember, you wont have to pay shipping if you buy it from the shop.
                    It all depends, can you wait, and hunt around? Might get lucky, might not.
                    But if you know you want it, dont pass up the oppurtunity.

Try and haggle some games with it if you do.

Comment

what about the saturn????

Comment

as for the saturn? hmm, Id say no, since you might find it cheaper at a car boot sale. But if you must have it, buy it and mod it yourself.
                        Or mod it, and sell it for more.
                        Check ebay, and compare prices, and remember, you wont have to pay shipping if you buy it from the shop.

It all depends, can you wait, and hunt around? Might get lucky, might not.
                        But if you know you want it, dont pass up the oppurtunity.

I have seen things, and though, no, Ill get it later for cheapr, in the end I had to wait MUCH longer, and get it for more.

Saw metal slug, WITH cart, for ?50, in Japan, but thought I could find it for less, in the end, I had to buy it for ?80 off ebay with no cart because I couldnt find it anywhere else.

Try and haggle some games with it if you do.

Comment

you have just confirmed my fears.

I'll think Ill buy it tommorrow along with the dreamcast and haggle for a discount. My excuse: the SFII cart I bought for snes does not work so i have to take it back!!!!

It was meant to be

Comment

Samba de Amigo original boxed set with maracas for me too. The store had 2 of those and I didn't get them at $50 each. Aw!

And while being in Tokyo years back, I should've taken the opportunity to buy so much more stuff than I actually did bring home. Need to go again soon. Please Mammon.

I hope I won't regret not getting one of the brandnew, boxed PC Engine GT US Lik Sang still have for $179.99. Time will tell.

Comment

Suikoden II (PAL) for a tenner on Simplygames (when they were good) some 3 and a bit years ago. OK so I already owned the game at the time (and still do), but at that price it's a steal and would be worth a small fortune by now.

Suikoden (PAL) in excellent condition for ?24 from the local second hand game shop some 4 years ago. Thought it was way too much at the time but in retrospect it would have been a bargain

Samba de Amigo with maracas (PAL) for ?70 from Simplygames. Didn't have the money

Comment

Working...
                              X