Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S.O.C.O.M

Lo Guys

I've just been playing this game online and my initial impressions are that it's superb!!!

I played with another bunch of rookies and we were all on a par with one another. We played 6 vs 6 games, Terrorists against SEALS. The controls are simlar to Ghost Recon so i had no troubles getting used to it. The lag wasnt noticeable but i couldn't get the headset to work >_<

Has anyone else played this or will be playing online soon?

Im enjoying it, has had me hooked for ours, im usually playing in the newbies rooms under 'mark' I remember playing a tommyg too

Comment

TommyG

How does it shape up to Ghost, better, worse, different???

I have not yet looked at going online with Sony yet, I guess I might as well though as I have everything i need from setting up my XBOX, they are sitting next to each other, so no more wiring required. How much does the started kit cost and would you say it is worth it.
      The only problem for me is finding the time these days. I know when MOTO GP2 turns up I am going to be hitting that hard and for a long time I reckon.

So, do you think its worth getting the Sony setup, what other games are on the (near) horizon.

Cheers Mate
      TR

Comment

Originally posted by Trok REAPER
        TommyG
        So, do you think its worth getting the Sony setup, what other games are on the (near) horizon.

Cheers Mate
        TR
        theres

destruction derby arena
        Hardware: Online Arena
        socom
        Midnight Club II
        Twisted Metal: Black Online
        Tony Hawks Pro Skater 4
        Tribes: Aerial Assault
        Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3
        resident evil online*
        gran turismo online*

*not out yet
        auto modallista

Comment

Off initial impressions its not that good expcially since I'm a big GR and CS fan and in comparison it fares poorly.

Maybe when I get a bit more time to play it, the experience may improve so far a very average online experience.

To talk to people btw you have to hold circle down until it bleeps and then u can talk - which is actually very annoying as you always try to talk before it beeps.

Comment

Originally posted by Rushy
            To talk to people btw you have to hold circle down until it bleeps and then u can talk - which is actually very annoying as you always try to talk before it beeps.
            Sorry to go off topic slightly, but is the headset going to be used in all or most of the online PS2 games? Also how long do you have to press circle down before talking?

I can see that system being quite annoying during play.

Comment

I quite enjoyed it, no cs but then what is !

There is defi less lag than on GR on live but im really more interested in non fps online games on consoles - ull never beat a pc for fps

Im hoping we get our twisted metal black cd soon as i think that will be a good laugh !!!

I actually prefer the ps2 headset seems more comfy to me but rushy is spot on about the comms !!

Comment

Off initial impressions its not that good expcially since I'm a big GR and CS fan and in comparison it fares poorly.
                I've just had a marathon session at SOCOM. I thought the same first of all, but it grows on you.

After playing CS the main gripe is that aiming isn't as precise without the mouse, but its not too bad.

I couldn't get comfortable with any of the zoom options though, they're a bit sluggish.

Not being able to use the head sets in the lobby is a bit mental.

Overall - it is about as good a CS clone for a console as your likely to get, and does manage to offer a fun slightly more arcadey experience. I've enjoyed it so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Papercut
                  I've just had a marathon session at SOCOM. I thought the same first of all, but it grows on you.

After playing CS the main gripe is that aiming isn't as precise without the mouse, but its not too bad.

I couldn't get comfortable with any of the zoom options though, they're a bit sluggish.

Not being able to use the head sets in the lobby is a bit mental.

Overall - it is about as good a CS clone for a console as your likely to get, and does manage to offer a fun slightly more arcadey experience. I've enjoyed it so far.
                  Im a bit dissapointed its good but not excellent, I think im turning into an Xbox Fanboy

Comment

Originally posted by lordcookie
                    Sorry to go off topic slightly, but is the headset going to be used in all or most of the online PS2 games? Also how long do you have to press circle down before talking?
                    The earpiece bleeps when it is ready to talk. And no the headset will only be used with a select few games from what I can gather. Keyboards seem to be Sony's communication device of choice (the logitech one), a backwards step? Maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by lordcookie
                      The earpiece bleeps when it is ready to talk. And no the headset will only be used with a select few games from what I can gather. Keyboards seem to be Sony's communication device of choice (the logitech one), a backwards step? Maybe.
                      Thanks for that.
                      By and large I think communicating with a keyboard is better anyway. I have a deaf sister and there is no way she could use the ear piece. There seems to be quite a lot of deaf or hearing impared gamers out there, and it would be a shame if they were not allowed to play these games, but that is a whole new issue entirely.

Comment

i'd rather have a keyboard as i find the headset to be rubbish it dont fit me, must have big head lol

i though the game was good, played it for first time today cant get used to controls though.

a couple of probs i had but overall its good

Comment

Originally posted by wod
                          i'd rather have a keyboard as i find the headset to be rubbish it dont fit me, must have big head lol

i though the game was good, played it for first time today cant get used to controls though.

The headset is adjustable mate - just pull the clip !!

Comment

Originally posted by kamaran
                            Originally posted by wod

The headset is adjustable mate - just pull the clip !!
                            I find it uncomfortable too, must have a big head aswell.

Much prefer the Xbox L!VE headset.

Comment

I can't get my headset to work >_<

I press o and i hear the beeps, i then speak and errr thats about it :/

I can't hear anyone reply nor can i hear anyone talking throughout the game?!?!

What a guy do???

Is there something you need to configure first? Is there a certain USB it has to be plugged into? Do you need to tap o first select Radio/Team then Speak?

On a side note i've played this for quite a while now but i've only ever played the team deathmatch games, which after a while they can become a bit dull.

Has anybody else played any other types of games and if so what were they and what are they like?

Trok, Finding it hard to compare against Ghost Recon as i mentioned above, i have only played team death match games. But saying that the control of the characters are slightly easier than Ghost Recon. I just need to play a multiplayer mission based game against the computer to truly compare...

Comment

Working...
                              X