NTL broadband problem for XBOX live

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NTL broadband problem for XBOX live

My freind has had his NTL bb installed today and wishes to go on XBOX LIVE. He's been told he has to register his broadband on the internet but does not have a pc, is this normal procedure as I thought the whole benefit of using NTL was so you didnt have to faff about with a pc?

It is the normal procedure. No UK ISP AFAIK allows you to sign up without a PC.

You could always lend him your PC to register his details, make sure he writes it all down and then uninstall the Broadjump software when you're done. All the details are stored in the cable modem anyway, rather than on your PC if you use the ethernet option, which he'd have to in order to use Live.

Comment

Thanks mate

Comment

or he could just get the NTL Xbox package - 5 quid more expensive but you don't need a pc

camps

Comment

Originally posted by John Beaulieu
          or he could just get the NTL Xbox package - 5 quid more expensive but you don't need a pc
          That might just answer a couple of my questions below*:

I thought this would be a good place to post my queries instead of starting a new thread.

I want to get Live and we currently have NTL's 300k broadband that I'm going to split with a Linksys router to our PC and my Xbox.

I'm prepared to increase the bandwidth, but was wondering if I could get away with the 300k connection?

When routing does running the PC and Xbox at the same time impact on each other as much as Internet Connection Sharing?

*Do we have to notify NTL about Live because on their web site I noticed an additional charge if broadband was to be used for Live, e.g. regular 750k ?24.99 per month, but ?26.99 for Live use, and regular 1.5MB ?37.99, but ?39.99 for Live?

*Why do they charge more for Live use?

If you were going to increase would you go for the 750k or 1.5MB?

I'd be grateful if anyone can help me with this mindfield.

Comment

The hike in price for Live use is just a cheeky little extra NTL introduced to scam people out of a few extra quid. All you get is an extra IP so you can run 2 machines off the cable modem at the same time.
            You don't need to pay for an extra IP since you can either connect your Xbox and PC to a router (like you're planning to do) and then to the modem, or you can just swap your PC and Xbox over on the modem as and when you want to use them. That's what I do and it works a treat.

BTW, my brother has got the 300k service and it works fine with Live, but then he just runs the Xbox directly through the modem, and doesn't use a router.
            Last edited by endo; 19-01-2005, 10:25.

Comment

I've been running Xbox Live off my NTL home network for the last 18 months, without notifying them, with no problems at all.

Comment

I think 300 K connection will not be ideal as it probably have 128K upload which mean laggy games more often. So I would upgrade asap to the next one up with 256K upload.

Comment

Thanks!

Everything is starting to make so much more sense.

Any ideas on this one:

When routing the PC and Xbox at the same time does it impact on each other as much as Internet Connection Sharing?
                  Last edited by MJ; 19-01-2005, 12:35.

Comment

I often play my XBox at my Girlfriends and she has a router so she can stay on the net when I am playing. I have experienced no drop in the quality of game when playing at hers and it still runs silky smooth, even when she using the PC connection. Have found no differences in the games I have played and it is an NTL connection she has.

I believe it is 750k and it works really well. Hope this helps!!

Comment

Thanks!

I'm new to this, so I've just been taking my time making sure I understand it all.

For a router and/or direct connection from the modem, do I need patch or cross-over cable(s)?

Comment

Yes, you'll need 3 if you plan to use the router. One between the modem and router itself, and another one each for the PC and Xbox (to the router).

Comment

Originally posted by spleenboy
                          Yes, you'll need 3 if you plan to use the router. One between the modem and router itself, and another one each for the PC and Xbox (to the router).
                          But do I need patch or cross-over cables for this scenario (I believe it's patch)?

Comment

Cross-over cables, AFAIK. I've no idea what a patch is - I rope my bro in to do all my networking

I'm sure someone will be forthcoming with an answer though...

Comment

You won't need a crossover cable.

Comment

Working...
                              X