Famicom carts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Famicom carts

Anybody know of a good place in the UK to get hold of 8-bit Famicom carts? The places I currently know of are:

- http://www.retrogames.co.uk/
    - http://www.ebay.co.uk/

Other places maybe charity shops and car boots

Comment

Do you mean Japanese Famicom and not English NES? if this is the case you would be lucky to find them at a car boot or charity shop.

I got a couple off ebay, but they are few and far between for the decent stuff.

Comment

www.videogameimports.com seem to do a somewhat limited selection.

Comment

Originally posted by Gradius
          Do you mean Japanese Famicom and not English NES? if this is the case you would be lucky to find them at a car boot or charity shop.

I got a couple off ebay, but they are few and far between for the decent stuff.
          Japanese Famicom.

Your right, typically it's not the sort of item that car boots and secondhand shops usually cater for. The import market didn't really start up properly until the early 90s with the sfc/snes.

Comment

I should have asked d'oh

Looks like the EvilBay is the one. There are a number of Japanese based sellers who sell retro bits, i've brought a few SFC carts from japan usually for 1 - 2 dollars, problem is the carriage charge. So it maybe worth them in a batch.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Tosser
              Looks like the EvilBay is the one. There are a number of Japanese based sellers who sell retro bits, i've brought a few SFC carts from japan usually for 1 - 2 dollars, problem is the carriage charge. So it maybe worth them in a batch.
              I presume you are referring to our friend "Palet_th"

Comment

where would we be without the paletmiester, probably finacially better off.

Comment

Getting into famicom hey? Welcome to the party, the famicom only officially stoped production a few months ago, meaning only now do I really consider it retro.

I love my famicom, and famicom clones, and megadrive/famicom hybrid system, all good stuff.

If you happen to be anywhere near these places, theyre good places to pick up famicom cartridges.

Republic of South Africa - used to big for famicom games, since the NES was never officially marketed there, meaning the ONLY 8-bit games were famicom games. I dont know now, but it used to be good several years ago.

Russian black markets in Russia/Poland - if you can find a ruskie market, youll likely find some of the most amazing bootleg games/system imagineable.
                  I dunno, are there Russian black markets int he UK?
                  Hybrid systems, hacked/patched games, even rare betas on occasion, things like HuangDi etc. (btw, HuangDi is a Chinese Famicom game, and EXCELLENT)
                  If you dont mind thats its below board, youll find some good stuff.

HongKong/China - still big into Famicom so I hear, a relative there is picking me up a big load of cheap carts.

If all that fails, try and find a friend living in Japan, the systems are cheap, and the games are cheap and easy to get hold of.

Goodluck hunting!
                  Have you got any games yet? Any favourites? Need recomendations?

EDIT:
                  Word to the wise:
                  Checked out retro gamers famicom carts, what a lousy bunch of cheating cads.
                  Mario 14 - new game from korea, ultra rare, ?70.
                  Rare my ass.
                  I used to own loads of hacked mario games. Once had mario 7 which was a hack of dondockodon.

NEVER pay alot of money for such games, they are hacks, sometimes good, sometimes crap, but generally they are worth less than your average game, and are mainly for a bit of fun.
                  If you want hacked game like that badly enough on cart, get the hacked rom, and make your own carts. Thats what those in "korea" and other countries do. How he can get away with that I dont know.

Damn, a friend actually had a cart that looked like the one in the pic, but be carefull, its absolutely worthless.

You can tell them easily, because theyre called things mario 128, or terminator 27 or something like that, mostly they are hybrids of 2 other games.
                  Just thought Id quickly add that before someone gets excited it and wastes all that cash.

Apon closer inspection, their whole selection is crappy and poorly written up, they couldnt even name "Wangan Land" and put it as "unknown". That game is a famicom classic, crisp anomation, smooth graphics, and just damn fun platforming. Id say stear clear of them.

Comment

Ah the Famicom, what a nice machine.

Best way is to annoy people who live in Japan to go and hunt for them as there is still a huge market for them and classics can be bought for peanuts (*)

I've got a small Famicom collection as well as a few Famicom clones. Most of which got from friends living in Japan.

Glad that the Edge Retro Magazine 3 used half my Famicom must have games. Not sure about Bionic Commando myself as it's not that great a conversion...

(*) Approx 10 peanuts to the Yen.

Comment

Anyone give me any tips on finding my own little Japanese friend(s)?

As I wouldn't mind to take advantage of their well documented generosity (and take make a new friend obviously )

Comment

Most of these people buy me things as favours so I don't get tooo much stuff off them as asking them to hunt down a mint copy of say Mike Tysons Punch Out would probably not go down too well. ^_^;

Most of these people are people who have lived in the UK and have gone to Japan or people I have stuck up friendships with over IRC or Email. ^_^

In fact trying to get more friends in Japan, but currently not having any luck finding hardcore games collectors in Japan just gettings lots of early 20s women wanting to be my penfriend... ^_^;

Failing that jsut go to Japan and buy them. ^_^

Comment

Anyone know what Turkey is currently like for Famicom Pirate Carts, clones and such. I heard it had a burgeoning market for Famicom carts and clones but that was a few years ago now.

Seeing as Turkey may be a possibility for a summer holiday it would be a nice bonus if I could pick up some famicom stuff while there.

Comment

at a guess? Id say yes.
                            From what Ive seen, countries that never had an official games market during the 80's tended to import huge ammounts of cheap bootlegs.
                            Like Russia and eastern Europe, Hong Kong, alot of Africa and some of South America. (though South America did have a strong master system thing going on, with many exclusives)

Mostly famicom bootlegs, since as Ive said somewhere else before, the hardware and software ended up being easy to crack.

Then again, what with mass marketing, alot of the hot spots for famicom bootlegs have dried up. RSA for a start seems nearly devoid them, everything is PS1 and PS2 with Sony pushing hard for an official slice of a now pricey games market.

Damn this global modernisation, its getting so black market dealers cant do a little wheelin and dealin anymore.

I would not vacation there with that sole purpose, but at a guess, for turkey probably, depends where you look. Check bazaars and street/flea markets.

Let us know what you dig up!

Comment

Yeah I have noticed a stark depreciation in Famicom/NES pirate carts. I used to find them now and again at car boots sales (of course this was when I wasn't in search of any ). But as you say with the widespread pirating of PS1 games, coupled with the huge sales of the console itself the car boot dealers tapped onto this lucrative market years ago.

There something special about finding a Famicom pirate cart with some oddball Mario hack or KOF port, with all the different shapes and colours that they can be found in. It's not the same with pirated PS1 games, rickety, unassured, sub-par 3D game that seem to make up the majority of the PS1 catalogue on some cheapo CD-R with a cracked case and hastily scribbled title. BLAH

Comment

Working...
                              X