Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outrun 2

Why do Sega keep doing this!?!?!?

When I play this game it's like I'm a little kid again playing Outrun for the first time - it's an instant classic, it's exactly the same yet so different! The atmosphere/vibe of Outrun is so blatantly there x2 but they've made the game so sick!

This thread is therapy for them manz wandering about in a daze humming Magical Sound Shower all day - vent your frustration of not being able to play 24/7 here! What Heart Attack scores are you manz getting? I've been practising it nuff and can finish 3 courses so far but havent got very far up the scoreboard - hoping to change that!

I've only had a few hours with it and it's already my favourite racing game!

I absolutely adore this game. Everything Sega have done with it is absolutely right from the perfect OTT car handling mode, to the lush course design and kicking soundtrack.

I know what you mean though about wanting to be playing it all the time. I first played on 23rd December and wanted to go back on Christmas Eve but couldn?t as it was a ?family day?. I was suffering major withdrawal symptoms all day and had to make a trip down on Boxing Day.

Last time I went to the machine at Trafford Centre (a week ago) I had the top 3 times on the Time Attack board and the top position in the Heart Attack board. Unfortunately can't remember the exact scores but I'll try and drop by tonight and I'll note them down and report back tommorrow. My best Heart Attack score is 1000+ for sure but can't remember how much over 1000.

Heart Attack mode is definitely where this game is at though. Any game that requires you to maintain massive, sideways drifts at full speed for 10-15 seconds plus has to be worth playing. The sound of hearts piling up in a combo is bliss and I feel all fuzzy inside when I clear an area with a massive AAA and beaming smiley face.

One thing I?m sot sure about yet is how you instigate the Special Request sections. These are some of my favourite parts to attempt but there doesn?t seem to be a pattern to activating them yet that I can find. I presume it?s something to do with your performance in the previous area. The sections where you have to stay within the red or blue sections of the road require little touch of perfection on your drifting, but I?ve also had one where I?vehad to collect hearts that are floating on the sides of cars that have to be collected by passing closeby without making contact. It?s like the game continually pushes your driving more and more, as you get better. I hope there are more Special Requests that I haven?t found yet.

Only problem with the game so far, is that very few people at Namco in Manchester are playing. I'm sure my scores could be easily beaten by a few more dedicated players and I need the competition to push myself.

Comment

DAMN! Man if you've taken the board be happy!

Thats what I wanted to ask about - I get the special requests that come up but I miss them as I'm not sure how to activate (I bet I'm missing something obvious)

I had a fiver to my name on Sunday so I blew it all on Outrun! I'm broke...but it was worth it! 8)
      I cant remember any game previous (except maybe Daytona) that has such OTT and disgusting drifts! It's an amazing feeling driving sideways for 15 seconds then snapping it back to take the next bends - Outrun is blatantly what makes driving games good but concentrate.

Comment

This thread's just making me depressed,
        depressed that I got no more cash left to play it

(Overtaking other cars while drifting is bloody pleasurable , I've been a AT whore for too long though need to get used to the MT switching on corners)
        What's this about special requests, Heart attack mode or is in Outrun mode too?

Comment

Originally posted by optimusomega
          This thread's just making me depressed,
          depressed that I got no more cash left to play it

(Overtaking other cars while drifting is bloody pleasurable , I've been a AT whore for too long though need to get used to the MT switching on corners)
          What's this about special requests, Heart attack mode or is in Outrun mode too?
          Them special requests are only on Heart Attack mode - they come up at certain points not sure what they are tho
          Cos I was getting it every time between stage 2 and 3 yesterday but then she starts screwing that I didnt finish the request.

Comment

I've a feeling that the key to unlocking the very best scores that are possible in this game lies in the Special Requests, if I could just understand exactly what makes them available. On one run through I actually unlocked Special Requests on 2 of the stages. I imagine if I clocked those runs I could have beaten my record score quite comfortably but seem to remember I failed spectacularly on the 2nd Special Request.

I wonder if you get score bonuses for tackling the harder routes as well? I imagine the potential for linking drifts on the twistier stages could potentially allow scores to skyrocket. So much potential. Need to play this game some more now

Out of curiousity what car seems most popular. Persoanlly I spend most time with the classic open top Testarossa but am tempted to try the F40 out to see if the expert cars offer any benefits. I really struggled when I tried using it early on.

Comment

I used the Testarossa at first but moved onto the F40 - it's harder to fling the car the other way into an opposing corner once you've entered a drift but once you get used to it you'll cane - you gotta be a bit more generous with the brake and shift down when doing this I found! I can take hairpins with this car easier than with the Testarossa - the brer is blatantly Takumi!

Comment

There is lots of goodies on the official website

Comment

GREAT, GREAT GAME.

what more can be said.

funny thing is it took me about 5-10 goes before i realised there are 8 cars to pick from.

Comment

Blatant! (If I may coin a Saurian-ism)

They have it in Dublin now and I pumped 20euro into it. I was playing for a good 2 or 3 hours.

I think I actually love this more than Scud Race. It's that good. The powerslides are just magnificent. You get lots of feedback and there's plenty of visibility so you know its your fault when you crash into another car unlike in Burnout where it can be a bit unpredictable.

There's loads of replay value there as well, I could find things to work at for months. The F40 is a ****ing animal. It just whips back the other way when you try and straigten a slide. You should have seen me flailing my arms about trying to keep the thing on the road.

This and Virtua Cop 3 (I can't get enough of the scoring possibilities) are the best arcade games I've played since.. well.. Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution.

Comment

Originally posted by Molloy
                      Virtua Cop 3 - the best arcade games I've played since.. well.. Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution.
                      Not sure I agree - found it a bit bland, though you can't blame SEGA for trying to keep up with the competition.

Outrun 2 review should be in gamesTM soon - I'm off to the ATEI at the end of the month, so I'll play it for several hours solid. On Freeplay, of course. 8)

Comment

Originally posted by C'
                        Last time I went to the machine at Trafford Centre (a week ago)
                        WOO!!! Ain't nuthin' but KILLAZ in this BIATCH!!!!

Guess where I'll be, like, all day tomorrow? 8)

EDIT: calmed down a bit now, I'm actually very busy tomorrow up until around 12noon. I'll probably hit the motorway and get there for about 12:30ish.

Hopefully a tenner'll be enough to get my name up on the sco' bowd. If not, at the very least it should give me a good 45mins doss.

Got it all laid down. Gonna get there, play ?5, go outside for a smoke, then go back in and play the remaining ?5. Bliss.

Tomorrow day is gonna KILL over tomorrow night! From 8pm onwards I'm gonna be at a damned Halo meet with my mates mates who all work at Gamestation. They are +3h //\a!nstr33m fanbi0s. I might take my AES and sit in a corner as I can't take more than 30seconds of Halo.

Comment

Yep, i agree with everyone here. This game is awesome! Its currently in my top 3 of most played arcade games. The other 2 being VF4 EVO and KOF2003( another excellent game ). Im using the Testarossa at the moment. What views are people using? ie cockpit etc.

Comment

Not sure I agree - found it a bit bland, though you can't blame SEGA for trying to keep up with the competition.
                            Stay off the crack man - it's a dirty drug!

I had another cane last night I LOVE that F40! It's a monster, there is no corner you cant attack viciously - even the hairpins are complete ownage you dont even have to shift down!

What views are people using? ie cockpit etc.
                            On every racing game I play I always use cockpit view as I find it hard to judge corners in external view. Not here tho - this is Outrun and unless you can see the girl and the sick sideways drifting it just aint the same - I tried with cockpit at first but the car is so gorgeous and the girl so wicked I switched back quickly!

For me it's ALL about:
                            Ferrari F40
                            Magical Sound Shower
                            Heart Attack Mode

It's my favourite racing game - I worshipped old Outrun, I lived on Daytona, was obsessed with Ridge Racer - played F-Zero GX to death but none of them compare.

Comment

Damn Damn Damn...... why are there no more arcade's near the town I live ??!!!

Let's just hope sega makes a decent home conversion of this great game wich I never had the pleasure to experience...

Comment

Working...
                              X