Metal Arms: A Glitch in the system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metal Arms: A Glitch in the system

This years most underrated gem (in terms of sales) arrived on my doorstop today (Xbox version, 15 quid from play.com bargain hunters!). Needless to say this title is superb in almost all areas.

Single player revolves around the story of a cute little robotic guy who is attempting to help a rebellion along. How does he help? I hear you ask. Well he uses all manner of high explosive weaponry and vehicles to take on the evil robots through 3rd person blasting / platforming levels.

The game has some very smart features such as being able to take over enemy robots and vehicles, thankfully the execution of said acts is done with a high level of slickness, more than enough to negate these bits feeling tacked on simply for variety sakes.

Ai is also very good, with the bots flailing about and hiding in an effort to put an end to your reign of explosive terror. A special mention must also go to the way in which limbs can be targeted and blown off thus resulting in a harmless enemy with a distinct lack of arms (and thus gun!).

Multiplayer is top shelf stuff too folks, only missing out on greatness due to the lack of system link and online modes- it plays like Halo meets 'Jet Force Gemini done well'. You've got your tanks and various other devices to control, which incidentally handle in the exact same way as their Halo counterparts. While the 3rd person on foot blasting is very well executed thanks to a fantastic control setup.

All I can say is get it in!

I guess fro ?15 you really can't go wrong, however as much as I loved the squeals from enemy robots when you shot them, I found this a very repetitive game.

If the gameplay was a bucket and the charm was water, I'd say Metal Arms has bucket loads of charm, however the bucket has a hole in it and eventually you'll be left with an empty game.

Incidently, I now write for IGN.

(not really)

Comment

I also purchased it from Play for ?14.99 and it arrived yesterday.

After Playing it for an hour or so I am very impressed so far. If it wasnt for the new ER series I would probably be playing now (the wife requires SILENCE! when it is on and watches it on the BIG tv).

It does have some Issues - handling on the hovercraft thing, energy bar which is too hard to see in the height of battle, but mostly minor niggles.

But for under ?15 I am chuffed so far. 8)

Comment

I was so underwhellmed by this, spent a while playing through it and decided that it was another crappy title us westerners are surpose to swollow up....

Comment

I paid ?40 for it, im about 3/4's of the way through, and i've loved every second of it. The multi is pretty damn sweet too.

Comment

I too am loving this - really refreshingly fun I thought.
            However, I was getting driven round the bend last night on the first boss level - it took me a fair few goes (most of the evening) but I got the bastard!

Comment

This game is on my 'wish list' after reading about it edge (a preview I think). Didn't know it had been released

Ufortunately I can't find it less than ?30 for PAL GC (even at play.com).

Comment

Seems like a love / hate kind of game...although I can see how the single player might not be everyone's cup o' tea there's no denying that the multiplayer is superb through and through, 3 player was manic last night.

Comment

Multiplayer is fun indeed, the giant robot suits are great. The camera angles in multiplayer are a bit crap on some indoor levels though.

Comment

I'm intrigued by this... but it looks and sounds like it might play a little like Jet Force Gemini (only more sophisticated and dare I say, emergent). Giant robot twatting still sounds fun though. Can anybody compare? Ta.

Comment

Yep, for me it's like JFG meets Halo, although not as good as the latter.

Can't really elaborate more than that to be honest, it's just clearly been influenced by these two titles in terms of level design and gameplay.

Comment

Is it as horriblely difficult as they say? I finished JFG, but I'm not after another ridiculous last boss battle kind of thing. I have Viewtiful Joe for that...

Comment

Originally posted by Moodmon
                          Is it as horriblely difficult as they say? I finished JFG, but I'm not after another ridiculous last boss battle kind of thing. I have Viewtiful Joe for that...
                          It's not as difficult as people have said, although I played it through on easy.

Comment

i am only an hour in and quite bored. anybody want to trade my copy?

Comment

Originally posted by fluffyrussell
                              i am only an hour in and quite bored. anybody want to trade my copy?

Well an hour in and you won't even have all the good weapons yet, it gets alot better.

Comment

Working...
                              X