Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, Ive flown with Lufthansa before to Tokyo.

Not many luxuries on board, but cheap and fast connecting flights. All I care about tbh.

Comment

Im insanely jellous, cant wait to go there in an apartment,
      2 weeks is no-where like enough time in Tokyo, is it?
      With a month,i imagine you can happily waste a day in the Akiba Sega arcade, without watching our holliday clock ticking down
      ahh the memories
      Have a good 'un!

Comment

Id rather spend an extra 100 quid and get a direct flight, decent meal, sake, decent entertainment, cute cabin staff and no waiting around dodgy german airports. ^_^

2 Weeks is plenty of time, but a month is better. ^_^ Esp if you live near Aki. ^_^

Comment

i agree with MD

whe i flew with luthansia or whatever they were called, the flight was uncomfortable, crappy telly....crappy food..i mean literally inedible..... obviously it all goes on what you can afford... but i'd also rather pay extra if i can afford it

Comment

I went via Air France, from manchester
            I drank 10 bottles of free wine, and so slept the entire journey, which was nice
            Its also about ?350 more expensive for a direct flight, not 100

Comment

virgin do very good flight deals esp on returns if you can stand economy.. mid week flights are normally very good if you get a mid day flight..

check eikoku digest and weekly journey (you can get em from the japan centre, the rice wine shop etc for free) theres a small japanese travel agent on regent st around the corner from topshop that used to do very good deals, worth a look..

aki can be done in a day,any longer than that is imho a complete waste of time, unless you like travelling 12 hours plus just for that...

Comment

You can get a direct flight for around 500 depending on when you travel (although most of the time it is around 800). I would recommend JAL first then Virgin or BA as these are the only ones with direct flights to Tokyo, something nice about an 11 hour flight without changing hassles.

Indirect flights then you have Air France and SAS the rest are a bit rubbish. Alitalia isn't recommended, mainly as they look like they are going to go bust at any moment.... ^_^;

And you can't seriously do Aki in a day, you could walk around it but to visit the 2 decent arcades and visit all 12 decent games shops and to check out the collections would take a good few days.... I spent about 9 days out of 12 here, all well worth it. ^_^

I'm booking my apartment from a company scaryily called PAL... ^_^; It's more expensive then Sakura at 168,000 Yen, but its a private apartment with own bathroom, washing machine and everything else I going to want and it's likely not to be with a load of americans. ^_^

Comment

hmm i *did* do aki in less than a day, its very easy to navigate if you are familiar with shop in tall buildings.. unless you shop like an unplanned headless chicken its pretty easy, anything more than that is a waste, you may as well just buy via mail order really.. its not a nice area, nothing much pleasing to the eye, noisy smokey etc, theres far more to see in tokyo, or better still get out of tokyo as its one big ****hole really.. worst food in japan too..i honestly cannot see why anyone would actually go to japan just to see aki, some of the cex crew went last year (the girl at the rathbone branch begged via messenger for help as they hadnt booked accomodation) and they completely wasted a week going to aki every bloody day .. whats the point of that?

go halfway across the world, shop like mad, get back dont play half the stuff, put all the plastic toys on some shelf, end up selling half of the stuff here, tons of the other stuff is unplayed... something wrong with this picture...

ana are far better than jal also, they have never crashed, whereas jal have crashed a good few times, and with lax security and very rude staff, i`d avoid jal like the plague.. note that some internal ana flights are shared with air-do which can be shaky as air-do pilots are all ex military and use old military air routes, the planes are also all second hand, but for intl, you can`t beat ana first class no siree.. the economy seats are very tough on tall people though.

i`d go for a weekly mansion over a gaijin house any day of the week.. unless you really want stuff nicked or hang with tons of people too lame to get a job and who probably dont speak more than tourist japanese

just my opinion though.. it`d be far better to experience something of japan and have something to show for it rather than just a load of games your kids will have to sell off or throw away when youre dead lifes too short !

Comment

Hi, im 17, and im going to tokyo for my 18th birthday with my dad, were statying in the hilton in shinjuku...........so what do i do once were there, what are the sites to see, good places to eat, and most importantly wehre is the best place to pick up games?!?! also is there any kind of shopping district/shopping centers completly dedicated to pc / console hardware like there was when i went to singapore?
                    cheers, pscl227

p.s. im getting free flights there and back hence the fancy hotel were stayin in

Comment

Dude, not sure if youve noticed, but theres 9 pages of this topic answering all of your questions.

Comment

Originally posted by pscl227
                        Hi, im 17, and im going to tokyo for my 18th birthday with my dad, were statying in the hilton in shinjuku...........so what do i do once were there, what are the sites to see, good places to eat, and most importantly wehre is the best place to pick up games?!?! also is there any kind of shopping district/shopping centers completly dedicated to pc / console hardware like there was when i went to singapore?
                        cheers, pscl227

p.s. im getting free flights there and back hence the fancy hotel were stayin in
                        Yeah man, the best place for Videogames is Roppongi, but only after 10PM, you get some great bargains there, dude.

Where to eat?
                        How about trying what the locals eat?, Mc Donalds

What to do for fun?
                        Hmmmmm Try reading topics on import gaming forums, on visiting Japan to buy videogames
                        There is a good one here

Have fun, and dont get raped

Comment

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I'm going! Yay!

Anyone looking for a cheap flight over there, head to www.ebookers.com and book up for 6th-21st August. You can go with Aeroflot for ?412 a ticket at the moment (plus a ?10 surcharge but whatever). You may even see me on the flight.

And you'll love that. :P

Comment

Thanks for the ebooker link. I'm this close >_< to booking a 3-week trip there.

Would a week and a bit be sufficient to see just Tokyo, since I want to see as much of Japan as I can if I decide to go.

Comment

I dont think a week in Tokyo is anywhere near enough, there is so much to see and do, you will be rushing aound like a maniac, if u go just for a week.
                              3 weeks would be good

Comment

So 3 weeks would be enough to see all of Tokyo?

I wouldn't mind venturing to places like Osaka et cetra as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X