PDA

View Full Version : The Japan Trip Resource Thread!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
22-01-2004, 09:09 PM
It seems that barely a week goes by, without some richeous dude planing a trip to Japan. So why don't we have a sticky topic devoted to sharing experiances and information?
Specifically places to go and places to stay.
Someone allready posted a link to this hotel
http://www.sakura-hotel.co.jp//
we could do with some more
This one has got good reports http://www.toyoko-inn.com/e_hotel/00015/index.html
How about some hidden gems, off the beaten track, for games
What to do at night etc
So there u go....

jezzace
22-01-2004, 10:44 PM
Sounds good to me :happy:

Garibaldi Biscuit
22-01-2004, 10:44 PM
Excellent idea, I shall make this sticky as you requested. :)

dave heats
22-01-2004, 10:49 PM
Good idea. Heres some messages I posted a few weeks back.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, firstly dont go booking any flights just yet. Even when you have decided when you want to go, its best to wait for as long as you can before booking flights. When I went last year I got a return flight with Lufthansa for ?404 all in. It pays to wait.

All of the other factors depend entirely on your budget. Due to the length of the flight, and the sheer number of things to do its not worth going for anything less than 2 weeks. I went for a month last year, and intend to go for longer this time around.

Accomodation is of course dependant on budget. I stayed in 2 places, a cheap hotel that was just ?15 a night. Just a bed, tv and poor quality air conditioning unit, but it was a good cheap place to stay. Especially if youre a student watching the pennies.
You can stay in better hotels for around ?30 however. Onsuite bathrooms, spacious, good room service and room cleaning and everything else you expect from a half decent hotel. I stayed in a hotel called Asia center of Japan, and I highly recomend it if its within your budget.

As far as living costs go, it depends on how extravagant you wish to be. Living off family mart and mcdonalds is the cheapest method, but youre not sampling any of the local cuisine that way. I recomend finding a dish you like early on in the trip, and sample as much as you can. Even if you end up buying sandwiches from Tullys or similar coffee shops, you can say you tried the food. Im not sure if you know any japanese, but I know that people can get away with pointing. Many shops have plastic models of their dishes in the window for that very reason.

Another cost you will have to contend with are transport expenses. The tokyo subway system is the best I have ever used, and is a very enjoyable experience. Easy, fast and cheap, its the only way to travel (dont even think about using taxi's, far too expensive, although some do take credit cards if youre ever desperate and out of cash). When using the subway most people in Tokyo simply buy the cheapest ticket, and settle up the difference at their stop on a fare adjustment machine. It basically tells you how much you owe, and means you dont even have to know the exact fare you need.
The best thing to do though is buy a subway card. These magnetic cards are available at most stations, and can be bought in various amounts. They are vital though, and I couldnt have lived without one. Grab yourself a 5,000 yen card, walk straight up to the turnstyle and youre away. They work on nearly all the subway lines too, so again make alot of sense.
Sort yourself out with a subway map before you go, as on your way from the airport to your hotel you dont want to be frantically trying to find a english map.

As far as places to go, see everything you can, experience as much as you can and dont be afraid of anything (apart from the hustlers in roppongi). My favourite place on the face of the earth though is Shibuya, teen paradise and a amazing sight. Hachiko crossing is the busiest in the world, and you can view the human stampede from the second floor of starbucks sipping coffee. Bliss.
Of course, this being a gaming board you cant forget Akihabara. The gaming mecca, and anime/manga stores as far as the eye can see, dont miss this place. Also, Ginza and shinjuku were another 2 of my favourite places.

But AVOID ROPPONGI. That place in hell on earth, and is about as japanese as Cardiff. 100% western, its not what you go to Japan to see. At night you cant walk 10 paces without having some shifty geezer asking if you want to have a "good time" in his club. Its a very imitimidating place, and I hated it. Stay away.

If you need anymore help feel free to PM me. Hope that helps a bit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, heres a map that otaku84 sent me a while ago...

http://www.daveyheats.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/akihabara2.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as booking hotels go, make sure you book before you leave. If theres one thing I wouldnt want to do again, its walking around Tokyo for hours on end, in the humid summer, carrying baggage. Its best to have a hotel room booked and ready, as you will need some sleep.

The place I stayed for the first couple of days was called Sakura Hotel (http://www.sakura-hotel.co.jp//), about a 20 minute walk from Akihabara. Really was nothing special, but cheap and may allow you to stay a few more precious days. English speaking staff and charming enough for the price.

Heres some good web addresses though. Its a list of a few hotels, all of varying prices and in different areas. To save a expensive, and potentially difficult phone call if you cant speak Japanese, opt for a hotel with online booking.

List 1 (http://jcha-en.roombank.ne.jp/jsp/RS01010P.jsp?RS_Template=Search/JCHA_YadoList.html&RS_Language=en&RS_SiteID=je&RB_SiteID=JE&RS_Encoding=EUCJIS&OPE_CD=null&OPE_PW=null&AGT_OPE=null&RCV_CD=null&AGT_RCV=null&prefecture=Tokyo/)

List 2 (http://www.itcj.or.jp/search/pref/tokyo.html/)

For flights, try these guys

http://www.airline-network.co.uk

http://www.expedia.co.uk

My advice to you is have a serious think with your friend about what your budgets will be, how long you would like to go for and generally work out a total cost for everything. With ?400 for a flight, hotel stays and living expenses it can soon add up, and thats not including spending money.

One more thing. Avoid travel agents, and book everything yourself individually. The Thomas Cook's of this world are hideously overpriced, and each agent seems to have the same generic 'Asian travel' brochure. They are organised trips, and are whirlwind stops to say the least. By planning yourself you are always in control, and make your own decisions. Most importantly, its much cheaper.

This is the hotel I stayed in for the bulk of my trip, and it is highly recomended to all.

http://www.asiacenter.or.jp/

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
22-01-2004, 11:09 PM
Thanks for making this a sticky! Cheers
I will now release your family, unharmed, as promised. :D

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
22-01-2004, 11:17 PM
Does anyone reccomend the JR pass?, is it worth it just for Tokyo alone?
How about things to do at night?, im going alone, (meeting a Japanese girl i knew at Uni there, for a few days) so where is good for meeting like minded folk? ( Aggressive Alcoholics)

dave heats
22-01-2004, 11:22 PM
Does anyone reccomend the JR pass?, is it worth it just for Tokyo alone?
How about things to do at night?, im going alone, (meeting a Japanese girl i knew at Uni there, for a few days) so where is good for meeting like minded folk? ( Aggressive Alcoholics)

If youre just going around Tokyo forget the JR pass. You will be using the subway, so find a Metro card dispenser. Go for a 5,000Yen card and you will be sorted. Alternatively if youre only there for a few days just got for a cheaper value card. Either way, they are so useful its untrue.

A rail pass is only good if you are going around Japan.

Steev
23-01-2004, 08:46 AM
How wheelchair friendly (or not) is Japan? Aside from the busy aspect, that is.

Flabio
23-01-2004, 01:52 PM
Wheelchair access in Tokyo seemed pretty hit and miss to me. Especially the subway. You can have two escaltors followed by a staircase then another escalator. And theres not much lift access down there as far as I could see.

As for hotels, I stayed here (http://www.faresrus.com/hotels/asia/jp/minato/themansionsatazabu.htm), and most excellent it was too.

Booked the whole thing through expedia, came to about 3 grand for two people for 11 nights. Flights, hotel and insurance. Flew via Copenhagen using Scandinavian airlines.

dave heats
23-01-2004, 11:45 PM
I dont think Japan would be very wheelchair friendly. I presume there is some kind of assistance on the subways though?

womblingfree
24-01-2004, 10:31 AM
Wheelchair access in Tokyo seemed pretty hit and miss to me. Especially the subway. You can have two escaltors followed by a staircase then another escalator. And theres not much lift access down there as far as I could see.

As for hotels, I stayed here (http://www.faresrus.com/hotels/asia/jp/minato/themansionsatazabu.htm), and most excellent it was too.

Booked the whole thing through expedia, came to about 3 grand for two people for 11 nights. Flights, hotel and insurance. Flew via Copenhagen using Scandinavian airlines.

Wheelchair access on the subways is excellent. Almost all JR stations have elevator access to the platforms and even the other lines around Tokyo usually do also.

When getting on and off trains the conductor provides a ramp and assists in boarding. Ramps are prevalent on most stations also.

Pavement and platform guides for the blind are to be found everywhere.

Of course if you are disabled you should check access if you plan a long trip but you will find it relatively easy to negotiate Tokyo transportation.

Disabled people are a common site on Tokyo subways travelling alone.

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
24-01-2004, 12:13 PM
We could do with some more reccomended hotels
Can anyone help with this?

JU!
24-01-2004, 08:39 PM
Not really a hotel, but a Ryokan. When i stayed in Japan Kimi Ryokan was a very nice traditional inn. In the centre of Ikebukuro Tokyo about 5-10 mins from the station. Nice people work there who are very helpful and all speak perfect English. About ?40 a night i thought was quite a satisfactory price. hope dat helps.

MD
26-01-2004, 06:25 PM
If anyone can recommend any place that might have basic cooking facilities in the room then that would be great. ^_^;

Next to youth hostels (which I can't book for 2 weeks) and apartments (which are more expensive), I can't find anything. Found one that says it does have a kitchenette but I can't get the travel agent to confirm this (but will be 700 quid for 14 nights...)

Got a nice ticket for 500 quid (includes Taxes) which will take me to Shanghai via Tokyo, so when I come back from Shanghai I can stay in Tokyo for 2 weeks. ^_^

Sketcz
26-01-2004, 06:45 PM
Hotel:
Juyoh Hotel
Second cheapest in Tokyo when I went, and if you dont mind annoying whiny tourists its great, its also only 2 stops from the Akihabara, for those big into games.

Thyve got free net access, green tea machine on each floor, reasonably clean rooms, safes, and even public baths. (never tried those)

http://www.juyoh.co.jp/english.htm

Overall a good hotel at a low price, about 2900 Yen a night, which is what? ?14?

Fantastic tip Number 1:
Once you have your grubby paws on your Yen cash, divide it up into catagories, such as food, fun money, accomadation, transport etc.
and make a seperate envelope for each catagory.

Youll find you actually save money, have more to spend in the long run, and wont waste so much. It also stops you from using food money on games. :rolleyes:

I made about 5 envelopes, and kept each one in a different place, either in my bag or on my person, so as to minimise loss in case of theft.

Fantastic Tip number 2:
Its a tropical island, so prepare for high humidity and rashes on strange parts of the body.
Pack plenty of loose fitting cotton clothing, no polyester, and bring ointments/creams, esoecially for those mosquitos. Unless its winter, in which case humidity isnt exactly a problem.

Steev
26-01-2004, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the tips, especially womblingfree (on the grounds that he was most optomistic :D). I'm a very capable wheelchair user, we are not talking Hawking levels of incapacity, but obviously any more than one step is a pain. I'd imagine certain places are fine, particularly Nagano, as it hosted the Olympics the other year.

I'm very keen on going for a fortnight this summer if I can find the money and anyone to go with. Maybe it's a phase, but every aspect of the country is appealing to me. Living there is tempting - if a holiday went well I would attempt to do one of those "teach english in schools halfway round the globe" things, and then live there. Pie in the sky and all that.

I've borrowed some books about the country and have some email addresses to pester about stuff in general, but at the end of the day, this country is hardly ideal for wheelchair users.

A tricky one to ponder :)

This thread is a godsend to me by the way, many thanks go to the grandiously named Jushin-Thunder-Liger, and everyone else :).

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
27-01-2004, 07:35 PM
Here is a good link for visitirs to Tokyo http://www.larabell.org/cynic.html
I was interested in hearing from other people who travelled to Tokyo alone, anyone like to share their experiances?

Tokyo Trash Baby
30-01-2004, 11:32 AM
I was last in Tokyo by myself last September for the Tokyo Game Show and stayed on for two weeks visiting a friend.

Accomodation - I stayed at the Juyoh hotel as well. Cheap as chips, clean rooms, TV, fridge, aircon. The only down side was the room size (3 tatami mats). But hey your in Tokyo, it's not like you'll be in your room for any long amounts of time. Close to Sensoji Temple, about 20 min walk and well worth it. Check out the link for info.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3001.html

Travel Arrangements - I booked everything through STA travel. Even though i'm not a student I found them to be very helpfull and if your under 25 you get cheaper rates (might only apply in Australia, check with your local). Considering I only booked 4 weeks prior they arranged everything. Accomadation, flights, insurance, taxes. So I recomend them highly
http://www.sta.com

Food - despite what you hear, if you plan, eating is not expensive. Breakfast for me would consist of cereal, tea and a bannana. I ate in my room and made use of the fridge, tea facilities was in the hall but you can get hot coffee from vending machines as well and its pretty good. Lunch would generally be Yoshinoya (Japanese fast food chain) or Mc Donalds. Convienence stores stock fresh sandwiches, sushi, and noodles. Mostly prepared in the shop, all fresh and tasty. At big train stations they sell bento boxes, that and a beer make for an awsome lunch. Dinner I would frequent Raman or sushi shops. Where I was staying there were lots of in-expensive family run eaterys. Not only were they cheap but they give you a real experience of japanese people. Plus because westerners (were an ignorant bunch) would never frequent these places they will treat you like a king. Big servings and maybe a free beer and a great place to meet locals.

Sight seeing - Because I mainly went for TGS I didn't plan much before but I found that Tokyo doesn't offer much in the way of sight seeing and you will probably spend most of your days shopping. Things I did included:
Imperial Palace - It was nice to see some grass but you cant touch

Akihabara - gaming/anime/manga heaven on earth, ASO BIT CITY anyone?

Shinjuku / Shibuya - neo Tokyo at its best

Harajuku - Under 30yo only, cos-players etc.

Sensoji Temple - avoid on weekends, Go at night its much better

Odaiba - Has the famous ferris wheel, Toyota showroom, Disneyworld

Ginza - High end shopping, has largest toy store in Japan

Sony Computer Entertainment building - get off at Akasaka-mitsuke station walk up the main road on left, just picture the GT3 track and you'll be fine

Roppongi - nightclub area, avoid like an ex-girlfriend

Ueno - large Park and zoo. Pretty ordinary zoo compared to world standards

For more things to see and do in Tokyo check out.
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/destinations/north_east_asia/tokyo/

Tokyo for me is great but for some people it wouldnt be. Not the place for young children and if old japan is what your after go to Kyoto. Also after a week you would have done the tourist traps and spend the rest of your time shopping. But if neo/blade runner is what your after Tokyo is the go. I love it only because it offers what I like, it just comes down to the individual. This website caters for tourist info.
http://www.tourism.metro.tokyo.jp

Hope to see you all at TGS 2004 :D

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
01-02-2004, 02:14 PM
Wonderfull news!, flights to Tokyo have just gone up from a cheapest of #408 to #506, why the overnight price hike?

dave heats
01-02-2004, 04:53 PM
Dont worry, flight prices change all the time. What dates were those prices for, and which airline?

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
01-02-2004, 07:50 PM
Air france has been #408 from Manchester - Tokyo, virtually every day from now untill june, for some reason the price has now gone to about #520.
www.expedia.co.uk

im going 13th-28th March by the way, hopefully

MD
02-02-2004, 11:26 AM
Basically because it's now Feb. ^_^

When a new month starts the price goes up. Airlines like having booked flights so the price starts low and goes up. In a nice world it would be cheapest near the end but then everyone would book then.... ^_^

Going before April is also cheap. ^_^

Prine
08-02-2004, 04:04 AM
I want to go sight-seeing around tokyo, how do i go about booking trips up the hills and mountains that surround tokyo? Have you people seen any indian/chinese resturants? Im most likely going to stick with food im familiar with.

How much money would you advise i take? (shopping + sight-seeing/theme parks)

Im hoping to go Japan with a mate of mine around june/july

cheers

Ghost
09-02-2004, 01:19 AM
Also can I recommend that people (who go with their partner or finds one in a club) try a love hotel, these are great fun to try with things like jacuzzis and sauna. Me and my gf go all the time. If you go it is best to go during the day because that is when it is cheapest. They are a little expensive if you are trying to save a bit of money though (on average they cost 10,000 yen/50 pounds for about 6 hours).

Also people here say avoid roppongi, dont! if you go during the day it should be ok, also make sure to check out Roppongi Hills, it has a huge shopping centre and also Virgin Cinema (which pisses over the ones in britian) because Virgin are a british company the big japanese films will sometimes have english subtitles, Innocence (GitS2) comes out next month and that has subtitles :D

Kirby
09-02-2004, 06:15 PM
Air france has been #408 from Manchester - Tokyo, virtually every day from now untill june, for some reason the price has now gone to about #520.
www.expedia.co.uk

im going 13th-28th March by the way, hopefully

CHeck out Lufthansa on Opodo.co.uk. I was looking earlier for flights in March (19~28th) and a return flight from LHR to NRT via Munich i think was ?380.

dave heats
09-02-2004, 08:04 PM
Just a word of warning to anyone who flys with Lufthansa.

Im not sure if it was a old Jumbo I traveled on (presumably it was), but the inflight entertainment on both journeys to and from Japan was appalling. No personal tv screens or working radio, just the occasional non working tv screen hanging from the roof, like there used to be on short European flights.
Of course, this isnt a big deal, especially for a price like ?380, but just dont walk on the plane expecting the on flight entertainment to keep you busy. In fact, dont expect any atall!

Has anyone else flown to Japan with Lufthansa or a similar airline, and have any information regarding on board equipment? I hope for everyones sake the forementioned Jumbo is now out of action, and been replaced with a more modern plane.

Kirby
10-02-2004, 07:29 PM
Airlines like Lufthansa and KLM dont really have PTVs in Economy (KLM definitely dont unless they've upgraded since last May) hence their very cheap prices. Although saying that Lufthansa have one of the newest fleets now and i think the transatlantic/asian routes are mostly newer Airbuses. Would you rather pay ?850 for BA and have nice TVs or ?350 on Lufthansa and take a Gameboy and spend the extra cash on games/food/drink/geishas? I flew to Osaka via Amsterdam last year on KLM and the flight was ?550. As you'd expect all they had was ****ty TVs hanging off the ceiling, but the equivalent ANA and JAL prices were about ?750~?1200.

Himura Kaji
10-02-2004, 10:35 PM
I would agree with Roppongi being the worst place to go in Japan! Sod all there few crap shops of no interest. Russian Embassy Wohoo. Tokyo Tower ... nice for a picture / postcard but about as amzing as the eiffel tower in real life!

Also Shinjuku brilliant place just don't cross the traffic lights leading away from the main area unless you want escort bars and black guys trying to force you into sleazy clubs and i do mean force !!! They never shut up and one even tried to pull me along (Shame i'm 6"4 really otherwise he might have gotten away with it!).

As far as hotels go i stayed at Weekly Mansion

http://www.wmt.co.jp/index_t.html

There main helpline is 00813 - 3434 - 3939 (including japan dialing code)

Just say do you speak english or eigo ga dekimaska and if they don't they put someone on who does. Booking is easy enough, they take most credit cards so you can pay upfront and will fax you what you need to sign and you can fax back.

Works out bout ?32 a night per person (there were two people in the room). Nice place Beds, TV, Bathroom, Stove, Microwave and Air con.

I stayed in the kiba branch (15 mins from Akiharbara and 25 mins from shinjuku). The full address of this branch is:

Weekly Mansion Kiba Chou,
Kiba 1-1-10,
Kotu Ku.

As far as flights go I got mine with Lufthansa (from eBookers) cost ?410 pounds per person including insurance and registered post of the tickets.

Hope this helps.

dave heats
15-02-2004, 04:07 PM
Guys, just as a massive example of how it pays to wait for booking flights, the legends at Airline network have flights from LHR to NRT around the 1st of March-ish for ?390 INCLUDING TAX.

Play the waiting game when booking flights. The cheap fares are there, you just have to find them

MD
16-02-2004, 08:18 PM
www.jadetravel.co.uk

You can fly to Tokyo for ?500 via JAL, the only thing is that you have to go via Shanghai, but as Shanghai is worth a visit you can get a few days break there and then fly back to Tokyo and stay there before flying back to London direct... ^_^ And JAL means decent planes. ^_^ Sod waiting. ^_^

There is also a nice 30Kg Limit on Lugguage too... ^_^ None of this 20Kg limit.

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
16-02-2004, 10:49 PM
I just need 2 weeks more work form somewhere and im there
Im staying at http://www.sakura-hotel.co.jp// for 7 days, to hopefully meat some fellow travellers to get drunk in Roppongi with, then over to http://www.toyoko-inn.com/e_hotel/00015/index.html for the next 7 days
Ill be writing a diary of my time there, shopping for games and used schoolgirls nickers and the like, which ill post here, maybe the fellows here would be interested in putting it on the home-page?

Im looking at going late March - Maybe early April if the deal is right
Mainly shopping for an AES, KOF'98, PC Engine, Saturn, DC stuff. And hoping to complete my classic SFC collection
So there u go

womblingfree
17-02-2004, 05:33 PM
Here is some bonkers maths for those of you thinking of working in Japan and worrying about the cost of living.

Me and my sister both earn around ?18,000 a year, not a big salary. The difference being that after tax, rent, bills etc my sister has around ?300 a month to live on whereas I have about ?1000 to piss up the wall.

So where does all my extra cash come from? Well my rent is only ?50 a week for a nice flat in Tokyo, income tax is far lower, no council tax, my health insurance is paid for, as are my tavel expenses to work. I can currently save about ?6-800 pounds a month and still have a pretty good life.

Despite what people may say Japan is a great, great place to save money. I'd thoroughly recommend it to those of you scrimping to get by and drowning in post-degree debt.

I've calculated that I need to earn between ?28-30,000 a year in the UK to be as well off as I am in Japan.

Bonkers :s

MD
18-02-2004, 03:19 PM
You don't really highlight enough that your work does partly pay for your accomodation. :rolleyes:

Living in London is expensive, although I only pay ?50 a week for a room. It depends on how you massage the figures and stuff. Although a friend of mine who lives in Japan did say that he did have to find ?3000 to pay for deposit, key money, rent and agents fee when he first moved into his apartment with his wife.

Back on track. ^_^; Can't wait to visit Tokyo. ^_^

womblingfree
19-02-2004, 05:31 PM
You don't really highlight enough that your work does partly pay for your accomodation. :rolleyes:

Living in London is expensive, although I only pay ?50 a week for a room. It depends on how you massage the figures and stuff. Although a friend of mine who lives in Japan did say that he did have to find ?3000 to pay for deposit, key money, rent and agents fee when he first moved into his apartment with his wife.

Back on track. ^_^; Can't wait to visit Tokyo. ^_^

Well I pay 40,000 yen a month instead of 65,000 yen a month because of subsidy. My wage however is lower than some place to accomodate this and so it balances out. I'm still looking at 120,000 yen equivalent for a similair place in the London area. A huge bloody difference.

You can be fleeced for key money but there are many places that don't require a large deposit. Most places specifically for foreigners require a deposit which is fully refundable with a months notice. To get a decent place otherwise requires some serious japanese language skills or a nice japanese friend.

Here are a couple of useful links:

http://classifieds.japantoday.com/

http://www.sakura-house.com/

kotatsuneko
23-02-2004, 05:13 AM
imho the best place to go for *real* advice and no ****e is:

www.****edgaijin.com

sure helped me a lot when i moved to japan! place has been swamped by a lot of newbies of late but most of the original crew still post there..

it helps that most people there actually live in japan rather than the usual rubbish seen on other sites where they are just bores / commentators / wannabes/fanboys.. :dry:

edit: heres a good realworld story linked from fg`s news page:
http://mdn.mainichi.co.jp/news/20040221p2a00m0dm017000c.html

dont ever expect to be *really* welcome here btw , if you like being treated like a young black man in 50s america tho you`ll fit in just fine!
:p

MD
25-02-2004, 01:18 PM
The second link produces the following error message

The URL cannot be located on this server.

Still trying to find damn accomodation. >_<

mingo
25-02-2004, 08:04 PM
on my way to Tokyo on Saturday 28th Feb, also staying at the sakura hotel, got ?2000 spending money 8) will be there for 11 days, cant wait.

?pint
25-02-2004, 08:18 PM
Have fun! 11 days ain't nearly enough time! :D

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
25-02-2004, 10:11 PM
Im Staying at the Sakura Hotel too, arriving on the 16th. Let us know how you get on, i hop some Swedish students are staying when i go
Cheers

mingo
26-02-2004, 04:13 PM
Here is My Initial Shopping List:

Panasonic Q
Famicom SP
Nintendo 64DD
Dreamcast Jap (LE)
Sin & Punishment N64
REZ w/Trance virbrator
Famicom Mini Games all 10
Initial D
DDR Max 2
DDR Extreme
Shikigami No Shiro 1
Winning Eleven 7 International
Astro Boy
Final Fantasy 7,8,9 International
Psyvariar 2
Hori GC Pad
Various Saturn, Dreamcast and Neo CD games as well

MD
26-02-2004, 04:59 PM
I'll hunt you down and attack you with Neo Geo Carts if you buy too many games :p ;)

MD
27-02-2004, 02:03 PM
Finally sorted out a hotel room. Going to cost me 6500 Yen + 15% a night but it has a kitchen (which was very important to me) and a private shower / toilet and is in Asakusa, so it'll be quiet (although can get to Akhi, Shinjuku and most other places without changing trains too much...). ^_^

I would recommend the following place for hotel bookings.

http://www.bookingsjp.com

Lots of hotels and most at reasonable prices. Didn't need a credit card either. ^_^

Going to be there from the 4th to the 15th of April, which is 11 days (a popular staying time it would seem).

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
27-02-2004, 05:21 PM
Which hotel did you book that didnt need a credit-card?
the one i wanted needed one

MD
28-02-2004, 11:48 AM
I just done a booking with phone / fax credit card details, then got a japanese friend to call up and confirm the booking. ^_^ So if you don't have anyone in Japan that can do that for you then you may have to use a credit card to confirm the booking (which is strange as most prefer cash to pay for the room anyway...).

mt50
28-02-2004, 12:05 PM
mingo- how are you going to get all them back to the uk?

MD
28-02-2004, 12:12 PM
I would have thought whacking them into a large suitcase would do the trick?

That's what I'm going to do, got 30Kgs plus what I can get away with in hand luggage. ^_^ (Although I've got a feeling I'm not going to get anywhere near 30Kgs of stuff...)

mt50
28-02-2004, 12:24 PM
don't they check your luggage though? and when you get back in the UK

dave heats
28-02-2004, 02:25 PM
I think you mean the luggage xray check mt50. This hasnt got anything to do with customs, and is to check if youre carrying anything you shouldnt be.
Customs very rarely check yes, but even then its from more dodgy countries like Jamaica etc. Generally you just walk through the 'nothing to declare' gateway and thats all there is to it.

mingo
29-02-2004, 04:41 PM
in tokyo today, the flight was loooong. Anyway been shopping in akrihaba, but couldnt find most of the stuff i wanted such as a panasonic q and various retro games, can anyone reccommend which shop i can get a Q and some neo geo cd games? going to shinjuku tomorrow.. any reccommendations there? Also had trouble finding the Famicom SP, was sold out everywhere, but i found 3 in the end, also had one shop selling for 100 pounds which was ludicroius. most of the famicom mini games where sold out aswell :( i got loads of snes keyrings which are cool. Also using my G/F laugage as she is not buying anything 8)

tokyochojin
29-02-2004, 07:08 PM
did you check out trader 2 and softmap in akihabara..you need to check the basements and upstairs of these places otherwise its easy to miss things.
As for Shinjuku i used to live there. There isn't a great deal of game soft or consoles although the ok softmap there is ok

mingo
02-03-2004, 12:04 PM
i got most things plus lots of bargins on my list :D lots of stuff to carry home. i went to Shinjuku yesterday, its very manic to say the least it also snowed as well. Went to Ueno today and its a great tourist place.

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
02-03-2004, 09:15 PM
Glad your picking up all your stuff
Whats Sakura hotel like?, what other peple are staying there?
Any Swedish Au Pairs?

mingo
02-03-2004, 09:47 PM
sakura hotel is okay, got a really small room. Havent noticed the people stayin there because i am only there to sleep, i am out the rest of the time.

on another note, i picked up Castlevainia LOI special edition brand new for 3800 yen which is about 19 pounds. PA.com sell it for 70 pounds :wub:

Chadruharazzeb
04-03-2004, 09:36 AM
Ace!! (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3513623.stm)

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
07-03-2004, 02:37 PM
How are you gettin on on Tokyo Mingo?
What are you getting up to ?

mingo
09-03-2004, 06:23 PM

got all my stuff except a LE DC and 64DD due to lack of money/lugguage space :( and lots more aswell. Been all around Tokyo such as Ueno and not just the electronic areas. Also went to Rainbow Bridge and Panasonic centre where i had a quick blast of MG:TS and LoZ:4swords. Some advice, bring more money then you expect to spend - you will see much more stuff that you want that you never planned too, and if you want to use your cashcard to withdraw money the only place that i found accepted my card was Citybank, the closes one to the Sakura Hotel is in Shinjuku i think.

arokib666
11-03-2004, 02:07 PM

and if you want to use your cashcard to withdraw money the only place that i found accepted my card was Citybank, the closes one to the Sakura Hotel is in Shinjuku i think.

erm...you can also use your debit/credit cards in cash machines in all japanese post office buildings

mingo
12-03-2004, 11:44 AM
I'm back now, got past customs without any problems and wasn't even over weight with my lugguage. I put my Panasonic Q in my hand lugguage and flattened the box and put it in the suitcase.

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
12-03-2004, 05:01 PM
I'm back now, got past customs without any problems and wasn't even over weight with my lugguage. I put my Panasonic Q in my hand lugguage and flattened the box and put it in the suitcase.

Sounds like a plan, how much did you pay for your Q, by they way?
Also, what did you get up to at night?, am i right in thinking you went on your own?

mingo
12-03-2004, 05:18 PM
Sounds like a plan, how much did you pay for your Q, by they way? Also, what did you get up to at night?, am i right in thinking you went on your own?

paid ?120 for it, and i went with my Girlfriend so.................

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
12-03-2004, 08:18 PM
Sounds like a plan, how much did you pay for your Q, by they way? Also, what did you get up to at night?, am i right in thinking you went on your own?

paid ?120 for it, and i went with my Girlfriend so.................

?120?, thats some sweet action
I may have to ad that to the list, i leave Monday, cant wait!

mingo
12-03-2004, 09:44 PM
the Q's are pretty hard to find in the main shops, you need to go to the smaller shops on the side road, i also saw them in Toy's "r" Us for about ?180 new.

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
14-03-2004, 10:57 PM
Leave for Tokyo tommorow, on my own, im a bit overwhelmed to be honest.
Looking forward to getting Twin Snakes on the release day

MD
17-03-2004, 01:27 PM
What things should you definately have in Japan?

I'm taking a Digital Camera (so I can bore you lot silly with a Diary...) and a MP3 Player and my Laptop as well as a very very useful USB Battery Charger (for MP3 player and Camera...)... ^_^

Anything else that is a must have?

mingo
17-03-2004, 01:32 PM
A camera is a Must, but try to bring as little as possible, you WILL need the luggauge space.

MD
17-03-2004, 01:39 PM
I have a 30KG Limit and on the unlikely event I exceed that, I have a friend who is visiting London so can bring stuff with him. ^_^

mingo
17-03-2004, 09:07 PM
I have some pictures of me and my gf in japan uploaded now

www.freewebs.com/mingostar

Click on Pictures, and 56k beware.

I have loads more but to tired to put them on at the moment

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
19-03-2004, 11:08 PM
been in Tokyo for 4 days now, to be honest i have been spending nearly all my time with my Japanese pen(now girl)-friend, she is an absolute cracker. I have had little time for Akiba, i nipped in to buy a SFC and a few games, but found it a TAD dissapointing, i did get most ofthe thing i wanted though.
Tokyo is absolutley unbelia****ingble, especially if you have a pretty girl to show you round, we went to a Love-Hotel, very cool, very odd.
KOF 2003 is doing brisk business, Gulity GearXX is doing really really well, hard to get on a machine at lunch time.
Can anyone reccomend a place to get PCBs?
I came here mainly for the games, but i have found other things here much more fun.
Has anyone here played that Sega - SerieA multi player game at all, i dont understand it at all.
Tips for Tokyo
1) Write a fake David Beckham autograph for your Japanese pen-pal, trust me, this will be the best decision you ever made
2) errr, do 1) and the rest will follow

dave heats
20-03-2004, 12:13 AM
Can anyone reccomend a place to get PCBs?

I seem to remember the Akiba backstreets are amazing for that sort of stuff.

Im going to be booking my flight in the next few weeks for a month from around the 10th of June. Tsugoi ne?!

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
20-03-2004, 08:48 AM
WonderSwan Color fpr 6 quid today, boxed, very nice!

Tonma
20-03-2004, 06:43 PM
There is a shop on one of the roads that runs parallel to the main street quite close to the big LAOX that sells nothing but PCBs.

You'll have to keep a close eye out for it as its got whitewashed windows and just a couple of sun faded arcade posters in the window to identify it.

You'll have to know exactly what you want though as its not the most shopper friendly shop you'll have ever been in.

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
21-03-2004, 01:51 PM
Pissed it down in Tokyo yesterday, took refuge in that big Sega Arcade in Akiba, did not win a single game of anything all afternoon, there were some serious gamers in there, girls too!
Today went to Ginza and Roppongi with Megumi, very, very nice places. No games at all, enjoyed it anyway
Note: Not seen 1 person playing on a GBA all the time ive been here
Off to Saitama on Teusday, ill keep a look out for some bargins.
The sakura hotel is OK, too many whinging, moaning, fat arsed Americans tho, all requesting Low-Carb food. i will smash one of their fat Republican faces in tommorow.
I hate them, just hate them

dave heats
21-03-2004, 09:29 PM
Hotel:
Juyoh Hotel
Second cheapest in Tokyo when I went, and if you dont mind annoying whiny tourists its great, its also only 2 stops from the Akihabara, for those big into games.

Thyve got free net access, green tea machine on each floor, reasonably clean rooms, safes, and even public baths. (never tried those)

Overall a good hotel at a low price, about 2900 Yen a night, which is what? ?14?

Otaku Im currently planning this summers trip, and am probably going to be staying here. I have one critical question though, is the air con in the room any good? If you could post some more thoughts on the hotel that would be superb.

I was looking at staying at Sakura again for a few days, but they are now around ?30 a night. Its not worth anything like that price.

MD
22-03-2004, 03:09 PM
Got a nice phone call from Japanese Airlines (JAL) today telling me the flight I'm coming back on is overbooked, would I come back the next day and in return fly business class and they'll pay half the cost of a hotel. Hmm so would I stay in Tokyo an extra day, get half an extra days accomodation (which will end up being near full cost) and get to fly back in a seat with decent leg room and more free booze? Yes please. ^_^

:p

MD
22-03-2004, 05:11 PM
Is it worth visiting Sanrio Puyoland? (With a japanese woman with me, I think man in late twenties visiting it alone would raise some eyebrows...) ^_^;

In fact I'm planning to visit

Studio Ghibli Museum
a couple of Art Galleries
Honda and Toyota centres. ^_^
Sony and Panasonic centres. ^_^;

Anywhere else worth a visit? (Cheap or free is good...)

mingo
22-03-2004, 06:00 PM
Is it worth visiting Sanrio Puyoland? (With a japanese woman with me, I think man in late twenties visiting it alone would raise some eyebrows...) ^_^;

In fact I'm planning to visit

Studio Ghibli Museum
a couple of Art Galleries
Honda and Toyota centres. ^_^
Sony and Panasonic centres. ^_^;

Anywhere else worth a visit? (Cheap or free is good...)

Yeah Sanrio puroland is quite cool and beutiful, my GF loves Hello Kitty ect so ..... theres not much there tho, 2 Rides and about 6 live shows. Its worth a visit to Ueno, for the Park and the Market. Also Harajuku is a good place for shopping for clothes and seeing loads of Japanese people dressed up as anime characters.

tokyochojin
23-03-2004, 02:41 PM
you should check out the Sony centre in Ginza mate, there's also a good Softmap around there. Also take your new girlfriend to Ikebukero and go to the Sunshine Plaza. Its a shopping centre but grab the lift to the 251st floor and check out the ****ing view!! amazing mate^^

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
25-03-2004, 12:15 PM
you should check out the Sony centre in Ginza mate, there's also a good Softmap around there. Also take your new girlfriend to Ikebukero and go to the Sunshine Plaza. Its a shopping centre but grab the lift to the 251st floor and check out the ****ing view!! amazing mate^^

251st?????

It is called Sunshine 60, or city, and is.... guess?
60 floors high
I went with my GF, very nice indeed

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
25-03-2004, 12:22 PM
In gate 15 of Narita airport now
Floods of tears in departures from Megumi, very hard to leave Tokyo behind, especially Megu-chan and Yoshinoya, the best salmon eggs this side of the Pacific.

Tips for Tokyo?
Well dont let me catch you eating in Mc Donalds, why go to all the way to Tokyo to eat American processed crap?
Yoshinoya et al are much cheaper, and sooo much nicer.
Someone here said eat at McDonnalds in Tokyo?, if i see you i will commit and extreme physical discourtesy upon you.
Sushi bars are just superb, amazing variety, and rarelky more than 130yen/plate
Roppongi?
Well they are calling my flight now, i will tell you some great stories when u get back\

tokyochojin
25-03-2004, 04:33 PM
Sh*t sorry mate, i thought it had 251,dunno were that number came from??? I always thought that it was alot higher than that though. Anyway hope you and megumi (chan?lol) are re-united soon matey! i know the UK is gonna seem like **** now.. :mellow:

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
27-03-2004, 12:29 PM
Sh*t sorry mate, i thought it had 251,dunno were that number came from??? I always thought that it was alot higher than that though. Anyway hope you and megumi (chan?lol) are re-united soon matey! i know the UK is gonna seem like **** now.. :mellow:

Cheers, i hope we will be together soon to, however she goes to live in Australia in 6 months to live there 4 a year, so nevermind, Not to be
God the UK seems pretty bloody awfull, i cant wait to go back to TYO.
Im going for a month, staying in an apartment, next time, should be great.
Might give ECC a call while im there!

dave heats
27-03-2004, 06:36 PM
What apartment is this you speak of Justin? I'm going for at least a month this summer, and am currently looking around for accommodation.
The favourite so far is the Juyoh hotel mentioned earlier in this thread, which is just ?14 a night.

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
28-03-2004, 06:07 PM
What apartment is this you speak of Justin? I'm going for at least a month this summer, and am currently looking around for accommodation.
The favourite so far is the Juyoh hotel mentioned earlier in this thread, which is just ?14 a night.

Sakura House, i think.
Anyone have any other suggestions for appartments?
I quite like Jimbocho, ill look there i reckon

dave heats
28-03-2004, 07:40 PM
Ah, thats the apartments who sakura hotel are linked to. I remember hearing about them and seeing various brochures in the hotel. Thanks for reminding me, Ill have a look now.

dave heats
28-03-2004, 08:11 PM
I like the look of some of their apartments. One question Justin, Im hoping you can answer it anyway.

This 30,000 yen deposit sakura house require. Is this 30,000 taken off the rental bill, or this is an additional cost?

For example, say theres a apartment on there for 100,000 a month. By paying the deposit, would that just leave 70,000 of the rent to pay?

Either way, it works out cheaper than most hotels, and provides you with lots more freedom and choice. Back of the net!

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
29-03-2004, 06:15 PM
I like the look of some of their apartments. One question Justin, Im hoping you can answer it anyway.

This 30,000 yen deposit sakura house require. Is this 30,000 taken off the rental bill, or this is an additional cost?

For example, say theres a apartment on there for 100,000 a month. By paying the deposit, would that just leave 70,000 of the rent to pay?

Either way, it works out cheaper than most hotels, and provides you with lots more freedom and choice. Back of the net!

I cant remember mate, they showed me round an apartment once, but i had been out in Roppongi till 5:30, and had the worse hangover id ever had, so i forgot everything they said, sorry.
Pocari Sweat helped cure the hangover by the way, 2 litres of that and 2 of that 370Yen mixed Fruit/Veg drink cleared me up later that afternoon however.

tokyochojin
29-03-2004, 11:42 PM
that 30,000Y is only a deposit you get it back when you leave! or if they trust you they will knock it off your last bill...hope that helps :happy:

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
30-03-2004, 09:43 AM
that 30,000Y is only a deposit you get it back when you leave! or if they trust you they will knock it off your last bill...hope that helps :happy:
Have you used Sakura house before?, or had an apartment in TYO?
Cheers

Supergoal
31-03-2004, 01:13 AM
your best bet is to become a "Himo", life comes free with luxuary :D

Enjoy..hehehe

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
01-04-2004, 08:06 PM
Some general tips for your Japan visit
Yoshinoya et al are wonderfull, really cheap but really nice quick food. They are not a place for chit-chat, you go in, point to what you want, eat it double quick, and your gone. Jimbo-cho is full of great noodle bars like this.
You can very easily get by on 10 quid a day for food.
If your flagging after walking around all day, but a 2litre bottle of Pocari Sweat(200Yen), it really helps your energy levels, really great stuff, and amaxzing for curing a hangover.
AsoBitCity is a bit **** really, i know its moving location, but you wont fond any rarities or bargains there, they have a bigger selection at HMV, im not joking.
Someone said they could spend a whole day there, doing what exactly?
Trader shops are great for 2nd hand stuff, as were 2 other stores hidden away, towards the far end of the main street, away from the station.
Look for small SALE shops, they have clearance stock going for piss-all most of the time.
If you cant seem to find many games shops, and you cant read Japanese, look for a sign which says "TV", this usually means videogames on that floor.
You have to go for at least 3 weeks, anything shorter is just 2 short, not enough tme to enjoy it.
If you go to Roppongi, stay out untill 5:30, be a man.

Sakura hotal is OK, there are 5 staff members, here is my review of them
Night Guy, young frizzy hair - Un-helpfull, , and a bit shy. Not up to normal Japanese politeness, anal about the internet, didnt care about problems you had with the hotel.
http://www.sakura-hotel.co.jp//graphics/sakura-hotel_staff_seto.jpg

Woman, never saw her smile once, really miserable and unhelpfull, pissed me off no end, by charging me for checking out of my room 10 mins late.
http://www.sakura-hotel.co.jp//graphics/sakura-hotel_staff_miho.jpg

Middle aged guy, again unhelpfull, didn't give a ****, really anal about the internet, charged me for time i spent on the PC trying to fix it. Git
http://www.sakura-hotel.co.jp//graphics/sakura-hotel_staff_kanda.jpg

Middle guy, with glasses, sound guy, really helpfull, no problem with anything, nice guy, wanted you to enjoy your stay
http://www.sakura-hotel.co.jp//graphics/sakura-hotel_staff_ishida.jpg

Older guy, great guy, really helpfull, lots of suggestions, liked to chat, was interested in helping you enjoy your stay, nice man.
http://www.sakura-hotel.co.jp//graphics/sakura-hotel_staff_yoshida.jpg

They seem to be aiming more for a Japanese crowd now, place was full at lunchtime with cheapo sallarymen. They seemd to be changing focus, away from gaijin.
there u go
more later[/url]

MD
02-04-2004, 05:15 AM
Spent about an hour in Tokyo Narita airport on route to Shanghai and couldn't resisit buying a densha de go electronic game... ^_^

Currently enjoying life in Shanghai ^_^

Found a shop that sold games and bought some sealed Dreamcast games quite cheaply. ^_^ (and yes they are originals...) also got a Hori knock off Joystick for the PS2 and Xbox. Hopefully going to find some more game shops. Sony have a large presence in Shanghai which is surprising, but the machines and games are advertised everywhere and games are easy enough to find. Neither Microsoft nor Nintendo have that much presence and games and machines are fairly hard to find (but more about this when I can upload my diary...).

Enjoying life here as everything is soo cheap, been here for a week and spent about 60 quid (and that included the games for the DC and the Joysticks). Food is terriblely cheap, it's hard to believe that a decent bowl of noddles with vegetables costs about 35p from high street noodle shops. Even a several course meal from a nicer resturant is less then 8 quid... Travel is about 14p on buses and tubes and if you want to travel by taxi then it's about 3 quid for a 15 KM journey... Even soya milk drinks which i drink lots are about 63p for 6 (they are about 50p each in the UK...). Found a few arcades, and the cost of a game like Initial D? 2 yuan (about 14p...)

Packets of noodles are so cheap it hurts, I'm going to buy lots of food here so I don't have to buy them in Tokyo.... (where I am off to on Sunday...)

Sketcz
03-04-2004, 02:22 PM
Hotel:
Juyoh Hotel

Otaku Im currently planning this summers trip, and am probably going to be staying here. I have one critical question though, is the air con in the room any good? If you could post some more thoughts on the hotel that would be superb.

I was looking at staying at Sakura again for a few days, but they are now around ?30 a night. Its not worth anything like that price.

WHOA!
Didnt see this post until now, sorry about that.
Air con was great, one in each room, but I unplugged it so I could play my turbo Duo I bought there.
TV, aircon and a lamp. (might have been a fridge, maybe not.)
Great net access, totally free. 3 PC's rarely a queue.
The bed was a bit dodgy looking, it seemed to have dirt all over it, but luckily they give you those special sheets things which you cover the duvet and in. It was so hot anyway that I slept uncovered with the aircon on.
The area was ok, only 1 stop from Akihabara. Theres also a shop right next door where I bought alot of food.
There were no good resturants that I saw there, except fro the dodgiest beef stew place Ive ever seen, some seedy old many game me a bowl of rice and beef and proceeded to mumble in a low voice. There never seemed to be cutomers there. Wierd stuff.

Theres also a rentable safe for storing valuables.
Never had any trouble with the staff. I left some valuables in key places, and everything was left untouched in a pile on the table. Even hid money in funny places, all of it was there at the end of the day when I returned.
So its quite safe. Was for me anyway.

Ok shower room, never went to the public baths. Never really a que there, but i showered with sandals on, didnt want to catch anything.

Single rooms are big enough for 1 person and a suit case, small table and the bed.

They have crap slipper selection, I mean they didnt even have british size 12!

Free green tea machine as well, drank it all evening.
Beer vending machine.
3 smokes machines.

Its smoking too, which was great for those who smoke.

theres also a mini garden in the foyer, so it looks nice.

Its not great, perhaps 2-star? You get what you pay for, but there was nothing bad about it. Except maybe whiney American tourists. >_<
Bare bones stuff basically. Nothing bad, but nothing fancy.
I recomend it. Especially if your there for only a couple of nights.
Not the ritz but perfectly adeqaute. Functional. What you pay for basically.

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
03-04-2004, 11:56 PM
Allready planning my next trip
6-8 weeks in an apartment, give me plenty of time o experiance living in TYO rather than just visiting.
I may do some freelance teaching while i am there.
10 days is absolutley no-where ner enough time for Tokyo, you will just be rushing all the time.
Ohh i cant wait

dave heats
04-04-2004, 02:46 AM
Where will you be doing freelance teaching Justin? Im going for a month at the moment, but could stay longer if I had a source of cash.

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
04-04-2004, 12:56 PM
I am knocking up a web-site, handing out flyers and advertising in that Tokyo classified free mag for gaijin.
This is not really legal, on a tourist visa, but is gererally allowed because of the need for english teachers.
How are you getting on with finding an apartment, Heats?
Aslo what is your budget, for the whole trip, if you dont mind me asking?
im looking at 5 grand, for 6 weeks

dave heats
04-04-2004, 03:33 PM
Ive pretty much sorted the apartment and flights. Im currently looking at 400 for the flights, and around 550 for the apartment for a month. Thats not including the deposit, but that will either be refunded or taken off the bill anyway.
So, my total budget is only going to be around 1800 or something like that, allowing around 1,000 for travel, and accomodation, and 800 or more on food, travel and spending money.

5 grand sounds like quite alot for 6 weeks, or will you be 'living it up' while youre there?

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
04-04-2004, 04:21 PM
Ive pretty much sorted the apartment and flights. Im currently looking at 400 for the flights, and around 550 for the apartment for a month. Thats not including the deposit, but that will either be refunded or taken off the bill anyway.
So, my total budget is only going to be around 1800 or something like that, allowing around 1,000 for travel, and accomodation, and 800 or more on food, travel and spending money.

5 grand sounds like quite alot for 6 weeks, or will you be 'living it up' while youre there?
Yeah 5 grand is a touch high, but i will be getting a JR rail pass and going all over for 2 weeks of that.
Where are you getting your appartment from?
Do you have a link?
Do you eat at Yoshinoya et al, while your in Tokyo?
You can eat 4 square meals a day in those Noodle-Donburi bars for less than a tenner a day, which is great.
Next time i think i will rent one of those pre-paid Vodafones, i didnt know about this till late on in my stay last time, have you looked at this?
You can et them from arrivals at Narita from 9till8

dave heats
05-04-2004, 01:10 AM
Well so far its looking like Ill be getting the apartment from sakura house, who seem to be the only apartment agency I can find thus far. Its just under 100,000 yen for the month, and has everything I need, such as an internet connection, private bathroom + kitchen etc. I've emailed them just to make sure its available for the dates I want, and if it is, its all systems go. And I really dont care about location, as, call me nuts, but I actually enjoy using the Tokyo subway.

Last time I was in Tokyo I basically survived off cheap noodle bars and snacks from the sensational Family Mart across from my accomodation. The great thing is, with an apartment and a kitchen I'll be able to buy actually half decent cookable food, rather than the snacks that dont need to be heated (like those luscious Horn chocolate biscuits! mmmmmmm Horm).

Im not sure exactly how much I was spending a day on food before, although it was around 10-15pounds.

I didnt know about those prepaid phones either, and they seem like a good idea. Phone bills are the only expenditure not covered in the apartments monthly rent, so I was hoping to find a mobile of some kind to use. Have you got any more info or prices on these phones dude?

Also, let me know if you get anywhere with the teaching. Its something I intend to do once I finish Uni (on the JET program), and Id quite happily spend this summer helping Japanese kids to say 'London' properly.

MD
05-04-2004, 04:37 PM
10 to 15 quid? Your mad or doing something wrong, been here for one and a half days and my entire food budget has been about 4 quid...

I like the subway system as it's quick, quiet and fast and all the signs are in English and with a bit of intellegence you can find the right exits...

I like Tokyo been here for a day and already managed to buy 55 odd games... O_o

Also found out that maps can lie and found out I can walk from Asakusa to Akihabara in 45 minutes... saving me a good 300 Yen. ^_^ Could probably walk to Shinjuku if I tried.

Anyway off to bed, got more shopping to do tomorrow.

^_^

dave heats
05-04-2004, 10:20 PM
Well tully sandwiches were about 2pounds, and combined with everything else such as huge bottles of pocari sweat of galpis 10-15 was my budget each day.

I must apologise for my lack of GBP sign btw. Im in the states, and cant seem to find the pound sign on the KB. :pft:

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
05-04-2004, 10:44 PM
The Pre-paid phones look bloody usefull, if you arrive before 8PM, you can get them outside Arrivals at Narita, near where you go downstairs to get on the subway.
Are Sakura house letting you arrange everthing via email?, they told me once you had to view the apartment and do the deal in person.
The guy could have been wrong tho

MD
06-04-2004, 03:01 AM
I normally found water out of a tap free. You can also cunningly put these in bottles and drink it out of them. The hotel I'm styaing at also supplies green tea bags, so I can drink that too.

As for food, as most hotels have a kettle you can cunningly boil water and with a wire mesh or some tin foil and some paperclips you can steam and boil quite a lot of food and you can then buy (or even better bring) packs of noddles. I've managed to buy fried tofu and packs of vegetables quite cheaply too. ^_^

Oh as for the pound sign, hold down ALT and type 156 on the numeric pad (with Num Lock key on).

^_^

Joy more game buying. ^_^

dave heats
06-04-2004, 02:25 PM
The Pre-paid phones look bloody usefull, if you arrive before 8PM, you can get them outside Arrivals at Narita, near where you go downstairs to get on the subway.
Are Sakura house letting you arrange everthing via email?, they told me once you had to view the apartment and do the deal in person.

Yeah, you still have to actually sign the contract and pick up the keys from their offices in Shinjuku, but you can reserve a room by putting down the 150,000yen deposit. You can do this online, and its just a way of making sure you get the room.

I still havent heard back from them yet, so Im off to email them again.

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
06-04-2004, 02:29 PM

Yeah, you still have to actually sign the contract and pick up the keys from their offices in Shinjuku, but you can reserve a room by putting down the 150,000yen deposit. You can do this online, and its just a way of making sure you get the room.

I still havent heard back from them yet, so Im off to email them again.
Seems like a great deal though, almost too good to be true!
I actually really like Jimbocho, it was quiet-ish and very conveniantly located, they don't have any apparments there tho.
It would be handy if there were some othe apartments companies we were aware off

tokyochojin
10-04-2004, 04:05 PM
You guys should try a gaijin house in the west of Tokyo, you can normally get a good deal like 40,000Y per month with something like a 10,000 Y deposit. Its a cool way to live and will help with improving your Nihongo and you can meet some cool people. Check out the Tokyo notice board and i am sure you will be able to find something there. As for teaching English ( i don't wanna preach or anything) but it can take time to find private students and usually you offer the 1st lesson free so they can decide if they like the lesson. There is sooo much competition now for this, but good luck ne. You could always find bar work though? It pays ok 1000Y per hour is about the norm..

Btw MD can i ask how the weather is now?? Getting a little humid yet?? I always started to get ill at this point because of overusing the aircon. Have great trip matey!

macosx!
11-04-2004, 08:23 AM
Just got back yesterday, did couple of days in Tokyo, then down to Hiroshima, then Matsuyama on Shikoko, then back up to Osaka. That JR pass is fantastic value, the five hours trip down south on the Shinkansen was a joy.

I'd definitely recommend Osaka for stay and now prefer it to Tokyo, only spent a few days there before, but spent a week there this time. Fantastic city, more buzz to the place than Tokyo and in all two centralised regions rather than many Tokyos separate ones. Den Den town is absolutely superb for gaming goodness and IMHO better than Akhibara.

MD
11-04-2004, 04:44 PM
The weather is fine, warm but can get a little sticky in the afternoon, but with the window open I am fine. ^_^

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
12-04-2004, 08:06 PM
Pre-Paid mobile phones, for when you in japan

http://prekei-japan.com/

or

very cool

http://www.jcrcorp.com/

MD
12-04-2004, 11:59 PM
Yay cheap... although at $99 a week I think buying a 1000 Yen Phonecard works out better value... unless of course you get the cheap option and want to pay to get calls. :blink:

It's only an option if you know several people in Japan, else it becomes an expensive toy.

gooner
14-04-2004, 08:39 PM
Anyone know any good resources for learning japanese? or atleast a bit of the lingo?

MD
16-04-2004, 03:02 AM
Ah well trip over, will write it up and post it up somewhere.

As for learning Japanese if your going to be a lazy Gaijin just buying games that you only need to know the japanese for "Hello", "I want", "Thank You", "I don't understand" and "I don't speak Japanese". That's all I used and it worked well (*).

Still going back after France and during xmas. ;)

(*) Although it does help if you have friends who speak Japanese and better still cute women to help you in return for speaking English to them. ;)

Prine
16-04-2004, 05:52 AM
How much would it cost to stay in a 3 star hotel in Tokyo?? For around a 14 days

As for the food, any chinese resturants around tokyo?

tanoshimi
17-04-2004, 11:21 AM
Just came back from my first trip to Japan, including 3 days in Akihabara.

Firstly, massive thanks to Otaku84 / Dave Heats for supplying the map on page one of this thread - even though Akihabara really isn't spread over a big area, this was really helpful to get our bearings on the first day there. I've made notes on quite a few changes/additions which I hope to copy up here as soon as I've had chance (and I have photos to show some of the more important storefronts / signs) so that this can be of use to more first-time visitors.

I was pleasantly surprised as to how cheap everything was in Japan - the subway is excellent (and runs *perfectly* to time, as you'd expect) and you can eat good food for less than 300Y per meal. I was led to believe that Tokyo was one of the most expensive cities in the world, but coming from London, it's nothing!

My main spoils were a famicom GBA SP (11,000Y), a sakura PS2 (18,000Y), Drummania (13,000Y), N64 Bangai-o (3,000Y) Donkey Konga + 2 Controllers (5,500Y) and loads of PS2 and Gamecube games for around 2,000Y each. I could have bought so much more (including that Steel Battalion controller for 9,800Y!), but my back was breaking as it was.

The only other thing I'd add is that I know that everyone here is a videogamer, and that may be one of the main attractions of going to Japan. However, if you went to Japan and only stayed in Tokyo/Akihabara you would miss out on so much of one of the most interesting, beautiful, and culturally-rich countries of the world (as well as some of the most hospitable people you will ever meet).
Although we were only there for a very short time, we also went on the shinkansen to Kyoto, spent a day at Oshino at the foot of Mt. Fuji, saw Osaka, went to a Yomiuru Giants baseball game at the Tokyo dome, drank in the New York bar on the 58th floor of the Tokyo Park Hyatt hotel ('lost in translation'), drank sake at a hanami party in Ueno park, spent Hana Matsuri (Buddha's Birthday) at Senso-ji Temple, saw Ikebana in Meiji-jingu shrine, sang Karaoke till the small hours in Aoyama... and I personally wouldn't have missed any of that for all the videogames in the world.

I hope that anyone visiting Japan enjoys their trip as much as I did - if any other first-time visistors have questions I'm more than happy to share any advice I can.

t.

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
22-04-2004, 06:01 PM
Just came back from my first trip to Japan, including 3 days in Akihabara.

Firstly, massive thanks to Otaku84 / Dave Heats for supplying the map on page one of this thread - even though Akihabara really isn't spread over a big area, this was really helpful to get our bearings on the first day there. I've made notes on quite a few changes/additions which I hope to copy up here as soon as I've had chance (and I have photos to show some of the more important storefronts / signs) so that this can be of use to more first-time visitors.

I was pleasantly surprised as to how cheap everything was in Japan - the subway is excellent (and runs *perfectly* to time, as you'd expect) and you can eat good food for less than 300Y per meal. I was led to believe that Tokyo was one of the most expensive cities in the world, but coming from London, it's nothing!

My main spoils were a famicom GBA SP (11,000Y), a sakura PS2 (18,000Y), Drummania (13,000Y), N64 Bangai-o (3,000Y) Donkey Konga + 2 Controllers (5,500Y) and loads of PS2 and Gamecube games for around 2,000Y each. I could have bought so much more (including that Steel Battalion controller for 9,800Y!), but my back was breaking as it was.

The only other thing I'd add is that I know that everyone here is a videogamer, and that may be one of the main attractions of going to Japan. However, if you went to Japan and only stayed in Tokyo/Akihabara you would miss out on so much of one of the most interesting, beautiful, and culturally-rich countries of the world (as well as some of the most hospitable people you will ever meet).
Although we were only there for a very short time, we also went on the shinkansen to Kyoto, spent a day at Oshino at the foot of Mt. Fuji, saw Osaka, went to a Yomiuru Giants baseball game at the Tokyo dome, drank in the New York bar on the 58th floor of the Tokyo Park Hyatt hotel ('lost in translation'), drank sake at a hanami party in Ueno park, spent Hana Matsuri (Buddha's Birthday) at Senso-ji Temple, saw Ikebana in Meiji-jingu shrine, sang Karaoke till the small hours in Aoyama... and I personally wouldn't have missed any of that for all the videogames in the world.

I hope that anyone visiting Japan enjoys their trip as much as I did - if any other first-time visistors have questions I'm more than happy to share any advice I can.

t.

I totally agree, if you just spend all your time in Akiba, you will miss out on a great country, especially the food and the chicks.
Its interesting to visit small town Japan, like Hanno city just outside of Tokyo. The quality of life outside of Tokyo is pretty lousy really, nothing to do, ****ty houses and you can't buy games anywhere.
Another tip for you is that all the women in the Manhatten Show Bar in Roppongi, are actually Russian Trannys.

MD
23-04-2004, 01:41 PM
There is life outside of Akihabara?!?! :o

Nah must be a lie to make sure that people don't get all the good games. :lol:

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
23-04-2004, 04:21 PM
There is life outside of Akihabara?!?! :o

Nah must be a lie to make sure that people don't get all the good games. :lol:

Did you just spend all your time in Akiba?, eastin dehydrated Noodles?
Oh dear, Oh Dear
Did you stay at "The Gamers Choice" Sakura Hotel?

kotatsuneko
30-04-2004, 05:25 PM
dont forget the sweet :

http://tangotown.jp/tangotown/

run by GomiGirl a regular at ****edgaijin.com

stop trying to play shmups on da keitai n get learnin ??

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
05-05-2004, 12:54 AM
And how is Dave Heats trip going, everything sorted?

dave heats
05-05-2004, 09:11 PM
Yeah man, all the organising went well. I'm going to be over there from the 28th of June until the 28th of July.

Flying with lufthansa for ?406 all in, and staying at the Hotel Asia center of Japan on the first night. After that, I'll be renting an apartment from the geezers at Sakura House.

Got travel insurance for around ?26 for the month from Atlas Direct, who were the cheapest/best value I could find.

All in all, its going to be a most awesome trip. Unfortuently Uni work is at astronomical levels at the moment, so I have to get through revision->exams first.

Anyone else over there during the forementioned dates?

MD
05-05-2004, 10:40 PM
Good luck with lufthansa, cheap normally means the worst flight you can ever imagine... ^_^; Its better then Aeroflot or Turkish airlines but not by much....

Still im going in August. ^_^

dave heats
05-05-2004, 11:47 PM
Yeah, Ive flown with Lufthansa before to Tokyo.

Not many luxuries on board, but cheap and fast connecting flights. All I care about tbh.

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
06-05-2004, 12:04 AM
Im insanely jellous, cant wait to go there in an apartment,
2 weeks is no-where like enough time in Tokyo, is it?
With a month,i imagine you can happily waste a day in the Akiba Sega arcade, without watching our holliday clock ticking down
ahh the memories
Have a good 'un!

MD
06-05-2004, 01:03 AM
Id rather spend an extra 100 quid and get a direct flight, decent meal, sake, decent entertainment, cute cabin staff and no waiting around dodgy german airports. ^_^

2 Weeks is plenty of time, but a month is better. ^_^ Esp if you live near Aki. ^_^

MarkyB
06-05-2004, 01:11 AM
i agree with MD

whe i flew with luthansia or whatever they were called, the flight was uncomfortable, crappy telly....crappy food..i mean literally inedible..... obviously it all goes on what you can afford... but i'd also rather pay extra if i can afford it

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
06-05-2004, 02:07 AM
I went via Air France, from manchester
I drank 10 bottles of free wine, and so slept the entire journey, which was nice
Its also about ?350 more expensive for a direct flight, not 100

kotatsuneko
06-05-2004, 03:12 AM
virgin do very good flight deals esp on returns if you can stand economy.. mid week flights are normally very good if you get a mid day flight..

check eikoku digest and weekly journey (you can get em from the japan centre, the rice wine shop etc for free) theres a small japanese travel agent on regent st around the corner from topshop that used to do very good deals, worth a look..

aki can be done in a day,any longer than that is imho a complete waste of time, unless you like travelling 12 hours plus just for that...

MD
06-05-2004, 07:02 AM
You can get a direct flight for around 500 depending on when you travel (although most of the time it is around 800). I would recommend JAL first then Virgin or BA as these are the only ones with direct flights to Tokyo, something nice about an 11 hour flight without changing hassles.

Indirect flights then you have Air France and SAS the rest are a bit rubbish. Alitalia isn't recommended, mainly as they look like they are going to go bust at any moment.... ^_^;

And you can't seriously do Aki in a day, you could walk around it but to visit the 2 decent arcades and visit all 12 decent games shops and to check out the collections would take a good few days.... I spent about 9 days out of 12 here, all well worth it. ^_^

I'm booking my apartment from a company scaryily called PAL... ^_^; It's more expensive then Sakura at 168,000 Yen, but its a private apartment with own bathroom, washing machine and everything else I going to want and it's likely not to be with a load of americans. ^_^

kotatsuneko
06-05-2004, 10:58 AM
hmm i *did* do aki in less than a day, its very easy to navigate if you are familiar with shop in tall buildings.. unless you shop like an unplanned headless chicken its pretty easy, anything more than that is a waste, you may as well just buy via mail order really.. its not a nice area, nothing much pleasing to the eye, noisy smokey etc, theres far more to see in tokyo, or better still get out of tokyo as its one big ****hole really.. worst food in japan too..i honestly cannot see why anyone would actually go to japan just to see aki, some of the cex crew went last year (the girl at the rathbone branch begged via messenger for help as they hadnt booked accomodation) and they completely wasted a week going to aki every bloody day .. whats the point of that?

go halfway across the world, shop like mad, get back dont play half the stuff, put all the plastic toys on some shelf, end up selling half of the stuff here, tons of the other stuff is unplayed... something wrong with this picture...

ana are far better than jal also, they have never crashed, whereas jal have crashed a good few times, and with lax security and very rude staff, i`d avoid jal like the plague.. note that some internal ana flights are shared with air-do which can be shaky as air-do pilots are all ex military and use old military air routes, the planes are also all second hand, but for intl, you can`t beat ana first class no siree.. the economy seats are very tough on tall people though.

i`d go for a weekly mansion over a gaijin house any day of the week.. unless you really want stuff nicked or hang with tons of people too lame to get a job and who probably dont speak more than tourist japanese

just my opinion though.. it`d be far better to experience something of japan and have something to show for it rather than just a load of games your kids will have to sell off or throw away when youre dead lifes too short !

pscl227
08-05-2004, 08:57 PM
Hi, im 17, and im going to tokyo for my 18th birthday with my dad, were statying in the hilton in shinjuku...........so what do i do once were there, what are the sites to see, good places to eat, and most importantly wehre is the best place to pick up games?!?! also is there any kind of shopping district/shopping centers completly dedicated to pc / console hardware like there was when i went to singapore?
cheers, pscl227

p.s. im getting free flights there and back hence the fancy hotel were stayin in :D :D

dave heats
12-05-2004, 09:27 AM
Dude, not sure if youve noticed, but theres 9 pages of this topic answering all of your questions. :blink:

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
13-05-2004, 01:16 AM
Hi, im 17, and im going to tokyo for my 18th birthday with my dad, were statying in the hilton in shinjuku...........so what do i do once were there, what are the sites to see, good places to eat, and most importantly wehre is the best place to pick up games?!?! also is there any kind of shopping district/shopping centers completly dedicated to pc / console hardware like there was when i went to singapore?
cheers, pscl227

p.s. im getting free flights there and back hence the fancy hotel were stayin in :D :D

Yeah man, the best place for Videogames is Roppongi, but only after 10PM, you get some great bargains there, dude.

Where to eat?
How about trying what the locals eat?, Mc Donalds

What to do for fun?
Hmmmmm Try reading topics on import gaming forums, on visiting Japan to buy videogames
There is a good one here
http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/viewtopic.php?t=19458

Have fun, and dont get raped :wub:

hankwangford
21-05-2004, 09:49 AM
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I'm going! Yay!

Anyone looking for a cheap flight over there, head to www.ebookers.com and book up for 6th-21st August. You can go with Aeroflot for ?412 a ticket at the moment (plus a ?10 surcharge but whatever). You may even see me on the flight.

And you'll love that. :P

Bleeders
21-05-2004, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the ebooker link. I'm this close >_< to booking a 3-week trip there.

Would a week and a bit be sufficient to see just Tokyo, since I want to see as much of Japan as I can if I decide to go.

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
21-05-2004, 03:56 PM
I dont think a week in Tokyo is anywhere near enough, there is so much to see and do, you will be rushing aound like a maniac, if u go just for a week.
3 weeks would be good

Bleeders
21-05-2004, 04:02 PM
So 3 weeks would be enough to see all of Tokyo?

I wouldn't mind venturing to places like Osaka et cetra as well.

darkangel
22-05-2004, 09:58 PM
Yeah man, the best place for Videogames is Roppongi, but only after 10PM, you get some great bargains there, dude.

Where to eat?
How about trying what the locals eat?, Mc Donalds

What to do for fun?
Hmmmmm Try reading topics on import gaming forums, on visiting Japan to buy videogames
There is a good one here
http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/viewtopic.php?t=19458

Have fun, and dont get raped :wub:

How about Akihbra: AKA: Electric City? Theres a map of it somewhere on the earlier pages, that place is mental. :wub:

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
23-05-2004, 05:16 PM
How about Akihbra: AKA: Electric City? Theres a map of it somewhere on the earlier pages, that place is mental. :wub:
Akihbra: AKA: Electric City?
No such place, it doesn't actually exist, its like a gamers inside joke.
When i was in Tokyo, i got most bargains in Ropponngi after about 11PM.
Give it a look

MD
23-05-2004, 06:29 PM
Surely Shinjuku at around 1am where they even have these guys outside that nicely offer you to show you where the entrance is. They normally have pictures of anime girlies or women, but that's just a Japanese gamer thing. It's important to buy at least one drink or you won't see any of the real bargains under the table.

DjSatansfury
23-05-2004, 06:50 PM
Aye, the same as in London, all the best game shops are in Soho and if you go to Kings X after 1am, you will often find gamers playing handheld duel link up goodness

tokyochojin
23-05-2004, 07:18 PM
Your both wrong, as everyone knows that "real mens" games are to be found in the Shinjuku Sanchome area ;) I have also heard that many guys play shoot em ups there too!

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
30-05-2004, 02:49 PM
A little tip for any Tokyo visitor, keep your passport (or a photocopy) with you at all times, japanese policemen, with nothing beter to do, sometimes stop westerners to ask them what they are doing in Japan, having your passport w Visa will save you a lot of awkward questions.

MD
03-06-2004, 12:46 PM
Well booked my ticket to Japan, cost me a fortune (?870) but it's a direct flight with BA (my first choice JAL came back to me to tell me the flight was full). Going from the 13th August to the 6th September when my girlfriend is on her summer holiday. ^_^

Although now struggling to find somewhere to stay for 3 weeks. Want to stay in an apartment (need a kitchen), but most of the places I've contacted have written back to say, sorry you can't book an apartment this far in advance, please contact us in Mid July. Anyone got any suggestions? Apart from booking a back up hotel first and then trying again in July?

Probably going to spend too much time in Akihabra again, but I still fail to see how anyone can say they can do it in a day. You don't find any bargains if you do it in a day, it's the difference between spending 4000 Yen on a game or 980 Yen on a game (sometimes even more....). Plus looking at games takes a while even if you can read katakana / hiragana. My first night of going around Aki around 7pm and buying games is a good memory. ^_^

tokyochojin
10-06-2004, 02:36 PM
My first night of going around Aki around 7pm and buying games is a good memory. ^_^

Dude, you shouldn't be in Akihabara at this time??most places close in Aki around 9. Get yourself over to Shibuya or omote sando, and get some beverages down you.

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
10-06-2004, 04:55 PM
Shibuya is indeed marvelous, but for a genuinely deranged evening of carousing head over to 6 trees, you may even get interviewed by Rob Pongi himself.
I had a marvelous conversation with a bloke from Ipswich about winning eleven, I also nearly had sex with a Russian she-male, before a nice man from Derry warned me off.
I also got mistaken for an American GI by a Japanese girl in the Gas Panic, we later went to a love hotel, which was nice.
Yokohama is ok for a few beers, lots of nice Chinese girlies there, who moan about the Japs.

MD
11-06-2004, 06:03 PM
Places I went to in Tokyo...

Ueno - Where I got off train from Narita airport...
Asakusa - Where I stayed during the night
Akihabara - Where I stayed during the day
Kanda - Post office for cash
Ginza - Nice indian resturant
Shinjuku (both ends of the station which seem a mile apart...) - Nice arcades and met someone there
Ebisu - Waited for someone
Naka-Meguro - Had lots of Lemon sours and met quite a few people
Kuramae - Walked past it when walking from Asakusa to Akihabara
Mitaka - Studio Ghibli Museum

That it. ^_^;

Still looking forward to August. Damn you July...

I remember being relatively sober the whole trip too. ^_^ Only got drunk once and that was mainly because lemon sours don't taste alcoholic... ^_^; I know Akihabara at 7pm sounds a bit sad but I needed that games rush. I've already planned my next next trip too (Mid Janurary 2005...). I will probably explore Tokyo a bit more this time, not sure if I will get as far a love hotel though. Although I'm sure you didn't play tiddlywinks Jushin, did it look like a normal hotel room or did it have some weird stuff in it?. :P

dave heats
14-06-2004, 08:31 PM
Well, 2 weeks today I'm off to Japan for a month, and I'm starting to really look forward to it now. The past month or so has been really hardcore at Uni, so I've got a load of planning to do in the meantime. Flight is going to be harsh, but Im taking my laptop for flight entertainment, and my iPod for plane/subway marathon journeys.

Regarding apartments, as mentioned earlier in this thread I initially intended to use Sakura House to acquire an apartment for 1 month. So, a few weeks ago I checked their website and found an ideal apartment. Nice price, internet connection, private kitchen and bathroom and in a nice area. "Great!" I thought, and after checking on the site, it appeared that it was indeed available 2 days prior to when I needed to stay. After emailing them to request reserving the apartment, I didnt hear from them for 3 days, by which time it was apparently "no longer available".

After that, I tried reserving another 3 apartments, but due to their appalling communication and a website that isnt updated not nearly enough, the same "no longer available" reply was always waiting in my inbox days after the original message was sent.

At the moment, Im trying to arrange a very tasty apartment through another company, and hopefully all will be sorted. If all else fails, sakura house assure me they will have a fairly drab looking apartment free on my required dates. Needless to say, Im hoping I dont have to take them up on their offer.

All in all though, going to Japan for a month alone is going to prove a very beneficial experience for me. Its been a tough year at Uni, and current girl problems/lack of having a girl problems are making me go stir crazy simply sitting at home playing JSR. When I went last summer, it was my first visit to Japan, and I had alot to learn about living like a Tokyo-ite.
As I'm sure many here are aware, certain aspects of Tokyo can be daunting at first, such as using the public transport. Going back with prior experience ,and actually knowing what to do on the subway and train lines is a great feeling. In fact, this is gonna sound really sad, but Im actually LOOKING FORWARD to using the subway again. Its only once you leave that you realise what an effiecient and good value transport system it really is. And i miss the little jingles that play at each station, and the hanging adverts.. and the white gloved pushers.....and the......

Btw, is asobitcity still open, or has that horrific closure already taken place? Aki wont be the same without that place.

Ginza
14-06-2004, 08:36 PM
I'm seriously considering doing what bobontheway did and spending a year in Hong Kong. Personally that sounds like gaming / gadget heaven but the downside would be id have to teach but bob made that sound pretty cool aswell. I'm meant to be heading off to Uni in September but if all doesnt go to plan then ill be considering the year in japan. Ill probably do the same after Uni aswell

MD
15-06-2004, 01:16 PM
Sounds like Sakura house is being imcompetent or got a better booking offer... when I tried to book an apartment with them, they were fecking useless saying 'Ring us when you are in Tokyo and we will see what we have', er no... Stayed in a self catering business hotel instead cost around 7000 yen a night but was clean and in a nice area.

Apartments for a short period (i.e a month) seems to be fairly hard to do, as booking in advance is basically a no no... Found a company that offers good apartments, however they are more expensive then Sakura House but it won't be full of dodgy americans. ;)

Tokyo metro is excellent, really liked it. Especially in the evening when all the OLs went home. ;) I also liked the way that if you get on the first train you can stand next to a window and see out the front. ^_^ The only thing I didn't like was the fact that some stations you have to enter via a certain entrance to get to a certain platform as there isn't a bridge or cross over...

Astrobit city closed when I was there in April. Still looked like an average store anyway, but they had posters on the wall showing another place (new astrobit city?).

Zanza
16-06-2004, 01:37 PM
Hi, great thread, i myself will be going to japan for 5 weeks, starting beggining of august, the tokyo stuff is a great help on where to go in tokyo, but has anyone got any good information on Osaka (places to look for games, places that are a general must see), or any other regions of japan, as im going for 5 weeks i hope to travel about abit, especialy to Osaka. Thanks for the help! :P

Kungfu
16-06-2004, 02:04 PM
Cool thread everyone, will be embarking on a year long trip soon first stop SEA. Have always had a passion for videogames and would be a great experience to visit Japan but I don't think my shoestring budget could survive in a first world country. Is it really as expensive as I believe or am I misinformed?

dave heats
16-06-2004, 05:37 PM
Well Tokyo can be as expensive, or inexpensive, as you want it to be. As a few of us have mentioned earlier in the thread, we got by living off family mart food and ramen, costing less than ?10 a day. Hotels can be found for around ?14 a night, and the subway is cheap and a pleasure to use. I recomend you read through the earlier pages of this thread, as we've discussed stuff like this in more detail before.

Alternatively, you can experience first hand why Tokyo was again voted the worlds most expensive city earlier this week, by eating ?140 sushi dishes and staying in 5* hotels, taking a taxi everywhere and buying from Ginza fashion shops.

Tokyo is only as expensive as you make it.

Kungfu
16-06-2004, 07:00 PM
How does the rest of Japan compare in daily living costs?

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
16-06-2004, 07:39 PM
Tokyo is cheap, man.
What i ate
Breakfast: Yoshinoya - Salmon Eggs over Rice Y390
Lunch - Rahman - Y400
Dinner: Sushi Y170 per plate, usually 5 plates - Y850
Supper: Yoshinoya, or similar, Donburi Bowl - Y350

If your walking round sweaty Akiba all day, you will need plenty of Pocari Sweat Y130 litre bottle
Going out in Roppongi is expensive though Ashai and Sapporo are like Y600-800 pint.
Beer from Lawson is cheap Y130 pint, if you like drinking alone, in youe hotel room

Subway is cheap, like Y230 average

Hookers are expensive, Y10,000 oral, Y25,000 full

You could eat at McDonalds, but then someone like me might kick you in the groin, if you did.

I went outside of TYO, to Hanno City, and found it to be the same price as Tokyo.

Places in Tokyo you need not bother with: Odaiba, and i thought Ginza was pretty forgetfull

MD
16-06-2004, 08:04 PM
Tokyo is cheap, man.
What i ate
Breakfast: Y390
Lunch - Y400
Dinner: Y850
Supper: Y350

Thats like Y2000 a day or Y14000 a week or about 70 quid a week. ^_^; That's outragous. :O

I managed on around a few hundred yen a day (most of the time...).

My total meal, drink (alcoholic and non alcoholic), snack bill for 12 days came to 21,312. (this did contain 3 decent resturants and 2 nights out which added over half the cost...)

If your walking round sweaty Akiba all day, you will need plenty of Pocari Sweat Y130 litre bottle
You could of course drink tap water it's even cheap at Y0.

Going out in Roppongi is expensive though Ashai and Sapporo are like Y600-800 pint.
About 3 or 4 quid, which compared to London is about the same...

Beer from Lawson is cheap Y130 pint, if you like drinking alone, in youe hotel room
Or with someone else if your lucky. :P

Hookers are expensive, Y10,000 oral, Y25,000 full
And how many hookers did you buy then? :o

I would have thought if you tried then sleeping with someone in Japan was easier then completing Outrun 2.

You could eat at McDonalds, but then someone like me might kick you in the groin, if you did.
Make sure you go into McDonalds and ask for a smile. :P

Places in Tokyo you need not bother with: Odaiba, and i thought Ginza was pretty forgetfull
Ginza is okay, has some nice places and is nice to walk around, has the Tokyo palace gardens just up the road. ^_^

dave heats
16-06-2004, 09:33 PM
Anyone used the Keisei skyliner from narita airport? In the past Ive only used the Narita Express from JR, but on this trip its going to make alot more sense to get the skyliner straight to Nippori (the landlord of the apartment I'm renting is picking me up from Nippori St, how schweet is that?).

In the past Ive been able to book the narita express online from the UK, but it seems the skyliner can only be bought on the day at arrivals. Are the ticket booths easy to find/english speaking salespersons?

I found the express fairly pleasant journey, apart from the seats facing each other, reducing legroom and also making it difficult to avoid eye contact with the person opposite!

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
16-06-2004, 10:23 PM
Well you could go all the way to Japan, and live like a bloody tramp on dehydrated noodles and tap water.
But i went to Tokyo for more than games, i went to experiance the county as well, and to know a country is to eat a country, or so the saying goes.
If you just go for the games, you may as well stay at home and buy what you want on ebay.
Japan has a massive ammount to offer, and its worth spending a few quid to experiance the country, rather than as a massive games shop.
Trapesing around Akiba all day, for 14 days, then going back to your hotel for Nissin Cup Noodle, dont sound much fun to me.
If thats your idea of fun, then go for it, if you want to experiance Japan, why not spend the MASSIVE sum of ?10 per day on food.
The food over there is the best ive ever had, by the way

venom743
17-06-2004, 07:00 AM
Well you could go all the way to Japan, and live like a bloody tramp on dehydrated noodles and tap water.
But i went to Tokyo for more than games, i went to experiance the county as well, and to know a country is to eat a country, or so the saying goes.
If you just go for the games, you may as well stay at home and buy what you want on ebay.
Japan has a massive ammount to offer, and its worth spending a few quid to experiance the country, rather than as a massive games shop.
Trapesing around Akiba all day, for 14 days, then going back to your hotel for Nissin Cup Noodle, dont sound much fun to me.
If thats your idea of fun, then go for it, if you want to experiance Japan, why not spend the MASSIVE sum of ?10 per day on food.

My thoughts exactly. Being able to buy games is just half the experience. There is life and games outside of akihabara. Many people believe that the best game shops are in akihabara but I dont think so.
Food in Japan is fantastic and you dont have to spend much to get something nice.

Other restaurants to try:

Matsuya- very similar to yoshinoya except the choice is far greater.
Tenya- Really good tempura
Wakko- Excellent tonkatsu restaurant

MD
17-06-2004, 11:42 AM
Heh you guys are too easy to wind up...

and to know a country is to eat a country, or so the saying goes.
Sadly being Vegan meant that most places were off limits to me, and the places I did find which were vegan friendly were er expensive. ^_^; Made eating in London seem a bargain.

I'm sure it was, I did eat some sushi but it was fairly expensive for what it was. ^_^; Making it was a lot cheaper, nicer to share too. ;)

Many people believe that the best game shops are in akihabara but I dont think so.
And where would you say they are then? :)

Kungfu
19-06-2004, 10:09 PM
Just interested if you guys who have been to Japan have ever used a love hotel?

hoyteamx
20-06-2004, 10:28 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm moving to Japan next week and, amongst the nervousness and excitement that comes with moving abroad, I'm wondering about videogames! The questions I have are...

I'm moving to Shikoku (some way from Tokyo!) and was wondering if there are any good online videogame stores that ship to Japan. Are there any in Japan?

Where can I get US imports?

How much does the Xbox retail for?

How complicated is it for me to get Japanese consoles to work in the UK (or other electronic equipment for that matter)?

And will UK dvds work on japanese dvd players (and vice versa)?

Cheers

tokyochojin
20-06-2004, 10:38 AM
Just interested if you guys who have been to Japan have ever used a love hotel?

I used a few mate (you need to if you have share room/wife/family living in Japan with you! although you should use a much cheaper and easier to *ahem* accsess Karaoke parlour (eh supergoal ;))
although i suspect Jushin-Thunder-Liger has a more knowledgable experience of such things ^0^ care to share an essay Jushin?

MD
20-06-2004, 07:29 PM
Karaoke parlour? Sounds interesting, want to expand further? :D

I've walked past some low key love hotels, low key because someone pointed out to me that it offered rates for rest and overnight stay... ^_^; Although the red lighting around the building should have been a clue. ^_^;

Kungfu
20-06-2004, 08:31 PM
Yeah tokyochojin would also like to hear about the karaoke parlours as it appears you have a good story to tell ;)

dave heats
23-06-2004, 09:54 PM
I'm currently compiling a things to do list of activities I hope to get up to over in Tokyo, and would like to go to the Studio Ghibli musuem. One problem though, I dont know where it is! Any info on where it is, how much admission is and if its actually worth seeing would be appreciated.

Also, if anyone wants to post some of the things they got up to in Tokyo to give me a few ideas that would be great. On my last visit I did the general touristy things, so Im after some more bizarre/off the wall things!

MD
24-06-2004, 09:48 AM
It's well worth a visit to the Studio Ghibli museum. :D Has some really nice exhibits including quite a bit of original miyazaki artwork and every so often they have a room which focuses on a specific film, when I went it was Laputa. :D Had a nice pre first world war plane (not sure if it ever flew though...). If you like Studio Ghibli movies then it's the place to go.

You have to buy the ticket in advance (you can't walk up and buy a ticket...). Information is here (http://www.jtb.co.jp/eng/ghibli/TicketSystem.html). You need to specify the day you want to visit the museum and bring your passport with you when you buy the ticket. It costs about ?8.

The Studio Ghibli museum is in Mitaka which is easily reached from Akihabara and Shinjuku train stations, you need either the Chuo line from Shinjuku or the Sobu line from Akihabara, make sure that if you take the Chuo line that it will stop at Mitaka station, it takes less then an hour. (I went from Akihabara). Here is the train map (http://www.jreast.co.jp/e-info/map_a4ol.pdf) (you will need adobe acrobat reader).

From Mitaka station, turn left and walk down some stairs and you will come to a road which branches right next to a river, walk down this road (with the small river / stream) to your left and follow the signs at the end of the road.

Can't really say what else you can do as I spent a lot of time in Akihabara, visiting Shinjuku and the Hello Kitty shop, in arcades and spending time with female company. :D

tokyochojin
24-06-2004, 10:05 AM
Get yourself over to Club Asia in Shibuya mate, or if you like your Trance? Velfarre in Roppongi is a dream. Its a massive underground nightclub and is f*cking amazing. You enter the place via a huge glass paneled lift and as you go down you can see everyone going crazy on the dance floor.

If your into Hip Hop just try most clubs in Tokyo (and if you wanna pull with no effort, check out Gaspanic. The roppongi versions are the best)

Also mate, get yourself down to Harajuku for some eye candy and of course thats a stones throw from the Meiji jin gue (meiji shrine/woods) which is quite a cool and spiritual place.
The bright lights of Odaiba are pretty cool and a nice place to take the ladies. Kamakura? Get yourself there to see the Buddha, and of course if you like your togger get yourself to a J-League game. Although this depends on when you are going.

Of course it all depends on how long you are going for? If you are going for a month, you can easily build a social rapport in that time. Just having a few mates and experiencing how the Japanese hang about is cool, and getting a bird is a must ;)

Enjoy dude, and if your over there after September you can give me a call if you need any help?

dave heats
24-06-2004, 08:35 PM
Ok, well I'm gonna do my best to get to the Studio Ghibli museum, if I can find the time. Looks cool.

Thanks for the suggestions tokyochojin too, I'm gonna hope to go out a few times during my stay, and whilst I positively hate the place during the daytime, Roppongi seems to be the place for nightime activities.

I've decided to go to Kyoto or Osaka for a few days at some point, not sure when, not sure where Im going to stay either, but I'm looking forward to seeing true 'Old Japan', and also a ride on the bullet train.

Also, many thanks for the offer of helping me out in September buddy. Not sure if I'll be over there then, but if I am, you'll probably hear from me!

tokyochojin
29-06-2004, 11:06 AM
well i am gonna be there for at least a year so give us a pm' if your in the neighbourhood.

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
30-06-2004, 02:38 PM
Love Hotel eh?
Well i only went to the one, in Ikebukero.
I actually mistook it for a capsule hotel at first, anyway we went in, and it was all disapointingly normal, paid the woman behind the counter and went to what looked like a cheap Vegas motel room. There was no fetish stuff in the room, sadly. We just had a drink, and selected a porno movie, which turned out, as most of them are, to be a rape vid. With a girl being abducted from a train by a group of men.
Id been in Japan for a week by that point, so i was well used to rape porno's by then.
So we just gone on with the abhorrent business of sexual relations, and left.
Its perfectly acceptable to take hookers in there, but i only ever found russian she-males. ssadly

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
30-06-2004, 03:46 PM
By the way, which appartments did you stay in? Mr Heats?

MD
30-06-2004, 07:27 PM
So we just gone on with the abhorrent business of sexual relations, and left.
You make it sound like a business transaction and sounding llike 'I wish I was in akihabara or somewhere'... ^_^;

MD
01-07-2004, 07:33 PM
Decent Gachapon place. :D

Ginza
01-07-2004, 07:44 PM
If all goes to plan me and my mate are going to Japan for 18 days in mid August. Iv been using this place to look at hotels and flights and places to go etc. Ill know for certain if we can go probably by next week.

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
02-07-2004, 09:08 PM
You know what i miss about Japan the most?
Dirty, dirty sex with loose minded J-Girls
That, and the food

DjSatansfury
04-07-2004, 01:23 AM
Or Both, at the same time? :ph34r:

MD
06-07-2004, 03:40 PM
Anyone been to an Onsen before? Or a Ryokan?

MD
08-07-2004, 10:56 AM
Yo Dave, what Tokyo like now then? We want a report now. :)

Are you sweating buckets or is the weather okay?

Find any loose Japanese women yet?

I did see that Rez set when I was in Aki last, but ignored it as it was over 15,000 Yen. ^_^;

dave heats
09-07-2004, 05:34 AM
Yo
Its been a enjoyable trip so far. Im renting an apartment from Gaijin House and tbh the place isnt anything special. Its got everything I need such as kitchen, bathroom, tv and internet etc. But its all so small. When I first walked into the place I didnt actually see the kitchen its so nondescript. Its just a ****ing space in the wall with a sink and stove, a fridge and a storage area. Ive got microwave, toaster etc here, but it doesnt feel like the sort of place you can prepare food, theres no worktop space for a start.Needless to say Ive been eating out whenever possible, apart from breakfast when I partake in my daily coco pop ritual. Speaking of which they taste different over here.. ^_^
To be honest on the food front what Ive tried of Japanese food this time around hasnt impressed me. Its expensive and most of it has tasted like ****. Personally Im not a food coniseur anyway, I eat to survive, not to sample delicate tastes and similarly melodramatic food related bollocks. In fact, I hate eating generally. If I didnt have to, i frankly wouldnt. Theres a few dishes that are OK, and yoshinoya's cool now and again, but generally I couldnt give a ****. I'm not here for the food.

And the bathroom in this place is a joke quite frankly. Put it this way, the door opens outwards. It HAS TO open outwards, its that ****ing small. Its cramped, stale, no storage space whatsoever and its the sort of bathroom you feel dirtier after having been in. Its a typical solid unit japanese bathroom that you find in hotels, with a waterproof lining covering the walls and a waterproof flooring. Ive been in them too many times in the past and I ****ing hate them.

Anyway, thats enough venting about the apartment. Its a good place overall, real close to a yamanote line station and has good air con. And god knows ive needed the air con the past few days. Still, this place is about a trillion times nicer than any of the holes sakura house have to offer for more expensive monthly rents. I recomend everyone to avoid them. Dont give the ****ers any business. Christ knows they dont deserve any, ****wits.

The weather is unbearably humid lately, and has been 30+ anyway. So at the moment the heat feels heavy and unescapeable. Unfortuently to do everything Ive wanted to do, its involved walking great distances around Tokyo in the mid day sun, when temperatures are at their highest and the humidity triples the unpleasantness. Like yesterday for example, walking all over shinjuku back and forth between the government buildings and the park, was exhausting. It seems to be affecting everyone, but I dont know how the sarari men do it tbh with you. Wearing suits in this weather is a punishment worse than death.

So far Ive pretty much revisited all my favourite places from last trip, now armed with my trusty digital camera. Last count I think I took 400+ photos. Unfortuently Im about a half hour yamanote line ride from shibuya and harajuku, so its become a bit of a mission to get there. I love that area so much though, and the backstreets leading from Omote Sando to Shibuya are fantastic. Its just a shame the humidity and the heat makes walking great distances so draining, both physically and mentally.

Revisiting Meiji Jingu was a good experience too. Bought some souvenirs, saw a wedding and hung my wish on a tree. I hope it comes true ^_^

Thankfully I'm about 4 minutes from Akihabara, so I'm finding myself going there quite alot. Its brilliant, as going each evening is a different experience each time. Checking out the different stock they have in trader and sofmap on the backstreets is a joy to behold, and you never know what youre going to find each day. Like yesterday in one of the trader stores they had a samba de amigo box, with ver2000 thrown in for ?65. The sheer size of the box made it impossible to bring back with me though. IM already going to be struggling bringing my haul back. Its been fun actually having time to explore AKiba this trip though, as last time it was all a bit of a blur, and I had to rush due to me being accompanied by a non game playing buddy. Ive bought so much stuff though, and most of it for stupidly cheap prices. Like the gundam cube you all know about, eternal arcadia boxset for less than ?10 and my now beloved rez set for ?60.

I'll be going to the Tokyo Bay area next week, but will avoid the place like the plague this weekend. Last year I went to a comic convention in the Big View, and the cramped train ride along the bay was not much fun. I dont think theres any conventions on next week, but Im going for the architecture mainly, being on a architectural Uni course and all. The fuji tv building and big view and mental designs. Ive pretty much been to all the gardens Ive wanted to visit, and will revisit the government building in the evening to get some decent nightime views of tokyo from the north tower. Already been to the tokyo national museum which isnt that great, and need to revisit Ginza to get some digital photos.

Unfortuently its looking like I will be coming home a week earlier than planned due to circumstances at home beyond my control. Still, 3.5 weeks in Tokyo on my own has/will have been a good experience. Now if I can just fit it all in my suitcase....

Oh, and Ive attached a few photos. Ive had to shrink them down something rotten (97k maximum file size limit = daylight robbery). So if they look like ****, dont blame me guvnor.

MD
09-07-2004, 08:10 AM
It's funny as I've now booked my apartment and it's a stones throw from Akihabra (Akihabara at night is very very quiet... I've walked through it at night... It's great too as I don't have to go far to get my daily games fix. :D ) and for 24 days it is 142,000 Yen which sounds expensive but it's all in (don't even need to pay a deposit...) and it's cheaper then Sakura house. It has a balcony, seperate bathroom and toilet and the place is reasonably large at around 22 sqaure meters. Seen pictures of the kitchen and I could cook it in too (even has a rice cooker, tea maker, microwave, 2 hotplates, fridge freezer, washing machine...), no internet but that's not too much of a hardship. It has a TV so I'm bringing my PS2. :D

The funny thing is that places that cater to gaijin exploit the fact that it's harder to rent places in Tokyo and charge slightly more for worse places... this place I have got as my girlfriend has booked and paid for it (I will pay her back when I get to Tokyo...) but I couldn't book the place because I'm not a Japanese resident...

Sakura house sent me an email 5 weeks later saying they have a place but it was more expensive at 175,000 Yen (with deposit and was tiny...) and most of the other places that rent places I have to contact in late July / early August to see what they have... and again decent places seem to start at around 150,000 Yen... ^_^;

dave heats
09-07-2004, 09:01 AM
Well thats the thing. Only 2 rooms out of about 15 in this apartment block are rented for gaijin, the rest are japanese folk it seems. Either their rooms are way different to mine, or they just deal with it. Its not bad, but I certainly couldnt live in this place.

Taking a ps2? Dude, you should just buy one over here or something. Get a ltd edition version, play it while youre here, and sell it on your return. Or keep it of course!

Oh, and I wasnt joking about the heat over here at the moment. I heard on the news earlier that 4 people have died due to the heat, and quite a few others are in serious conditions. Its HARDCORE. I just saw a motorcyclist get hit by a car in Akiba too. The carnage is unavoidable! :ph34r:

dave heats
11-07-2004, 12:50 PM
Im having to pretty much stop my game buying now. Im worried it wont all fit in the suitcase.

Oh and has anyone ever been to singapore airport? Ive got an 8 hour wait there next monday before my connecting flight to Heathrow. Im hoping theres a cinema or something! haha, i can dream.

Look what I found today....

Pavey
11-07-2004, 12:56 PM
I was is Singapore airport in February and there was a huge X-Box promotion going on,with 2 player game pods everywhere to play while you waited,so we played Halo throughout our stopover.

There's a fairly good electronics section aswell where i got my ipod from (20gb for ?230) and some ps2 games for sale.
And a McDonalds i think.
Nick

dave heats
11-07-2004, 01:06 PM
AH mcdonalds, thats my food sorted out then. How long was your stop over Nick? 8 hours is sounding like a really long time right now. Ideally I'd like to get some sleep or something in the airport, but unless they're beds available I wont be sleeping with a few grands worth of stuff in my hand luggage.

Also, does singapore use the same 2 pin plugs as Japan and the US? As i dont want to waste the batteries of my ipod and ibook before the flight itself. :(

Pavey
11-07-2004, 02:29 PM
I was there for only a few hrs mate. I seem to remember that Singapore has the same voltage/plugs as the UK,as my Ipod came like that aswell.
I think there may be a place to sleep just outside the airport,a Holiday Inn type affair,but dont quote me on it.

Pavey
11-07-2004, 02:30 PM
Also the whole place is wireless,so you'll be able to get online while you wait.

erp
13-07-2004, 11:33 PM
i'm also planning a trip to japan sometime soon.

been once before, about 5 years ago, that time with a japanese friend. this time, however, i'll be going alone, which is both exciting and a little scary.

i plan to travel around the country as much as possible, and videogames are pretty low on my list of priorities to be honest - akihabara was neat and all that, but the majesty of kyoto's temples and the beauty of the rice and tea fields have had a far larger impact on me.

one of the things i also want to do while i'm there, and this is the thing i want to ask for advice on, is to visit okinawa for a few days. some of the (excellent) hotel links already posted on this thread do list hotels for okinawa, so hopefully booking accomodation shouldn't be a problem. but what's concerning me is how on earth do i go about booking the flights between okinawa and mainland japan???

it's probably worth noting that, although i can blurt out a few broken sentences, my practical knowledge of the japanese language is essentially non-existant.

has anyone else ever done anything similar to this and can offer me any advice?

thanks in advance.

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
14-07-2004, 12:17 PM
Good reports Mr Heats, who did you book your flights with?
Most flights have a stop-over in Paris, Milan, Frankfurt or Copenhagen, who did you book with?
Do you know, i was only 1.5 kg's over my baggage limmit and they tried to charge me at Narita, bloody facists.
(Got round it by putting my SFC in a shopping bag got from Narita's Lawson store)
Watch out for that, the Japanese loooooove enforcing rules like this.

buster_broon
14-07-2004, 12:35 PM
i leave my present job a day before my 40th Birthday and i get a nice lump sum cash payment which should clear half the mortgage

so i have spoken to the wife and we are going out to Japan for a month or so just because i can buy loads of stuff there and i love everything about the culture

never been and i'm dying to go at some point but its a nice dream to look forward too

gives me 8 years to learn Japanese

dave heats
14-07-2004, 12:51 PM
Man, youve got me worried now. Was your suitcase full of really heavy stuff? Im going to have to take 2 suitcases. Im buying another case tomorrow as Ive bought that much stuff. Ive got a gamecube, a few boxsets, cds, ps2 games, figures and clothes in one case at the moment. The other will be relatively light, I just want to buy a fairly solid case to protect the things inside.

Im flying with singapore airlines, and they only allow one piece of handluggage per person on board. However Im hoping they will let me carry my rez boxset aswell as my laptop carry record bag with me onto the plane, as I dont want it to get completely destroyed in transit.

I was originally meant to fly both ways with Lufthansa, stopping in Frankfurt both trips. However seeing as I have to return a week early I ended up giving my Aunt, who works for a travel agency in the UK, a ring to sort my flight out. An 8 hour wait between flights next week, but Ive got my neo geo pocket with me, and also singapore airport sounds amazing. WHilst I was joking about hoping there is a cinema there, it turns out THERE IS ACTUALLY A CINEMA THERE. And its free. So in between sesions of metal slug, reading micheal moore or 1984, eating junk food and watching free films I should be ok.

To be honest with you Im looking forward to going home now. Its been an experience being here for the past few weeks, and Ill be coming back next year hopefully (depends on whether I decide to buy my dream FTO or not...), but staying here alone for nearly a month has'nt been all that great at times. I did all the touristy things in Tokyo last summer, so this year its been more a case of just checking out other things Tokyo has to offer. Ive been to Akihabara too many times quite frankly, and spent far too much money there. In fact, Ill be selling alot of stuff when I get back to repay a credit card bill that must be enormous by now. Theres been many times on this trip Ive longed for some company, and wished that some of my buds from back home had tagged along with me like last year.

The weather has made me really irritable lately too for some reason. You cant escape the humidity and heat. Tbh Im just waiting for some more things to go completely wrong on this trip before I get home, and by the sounds of it, I'll probably get completely ****ed over with baggage weight limits.
I'm a strange one tho, as when Im on holiday I generally get more stressed out than when I'm at home. Most people go away to chill out, but when Im in a group or obviously on my own I end up doing all the organising and planning and get quite panicked out at times. Like for example, now I am seriously worried about this luggage situation (cheers justin! haha). I find when I'm away from home my brain just doesnt switch off at night and I struggle to sleep. Ah i dont know, Im just seriously highly strung at the moment!

Its true enough what they say, experiences are best when they're shared.

dave heats
14-07-2004, 12:59 PM
Buster I wouldnt recomend coming to Tokyo for a month really. You could quite feasibly explore Akihabara extensively and see all tokyo has to offer in 2-3 weeks maximum. Next year Im coming with a few m8s who havent been here before, and I'm only going to need a week to show them Tokyo's sights. I'm hoping to spend the other week or so going to Okinawa, Osaka and Kyoto.

Its clearly your call, and youve got 8 years to decide (now thats a long time) but to be a tourist in tokyo for a month isnt recomended. There simply isnt that much for a tourist to do. My landlord was frankly baffled that I'm staying here for such a long time without being here on business or anything. Tbh with you, I could have done everything ive done so far in a week.

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
16-07-2004, 01:48 PM
I agree with you, it is far better to see TYO with a friend.
Its hard to make friends with the Japanese the mindset is too different, girlfriends are not a problem, as any awkward pause in the conversation can be resolved by sex.
My suitcase just had clothes, candy for my fammily and quite a few books, i didnt put any games in it, as it was allready 21.5 Kgs.
I put everything in my hand luggage, and as i say i got a plastic bag from the airport Lawson to put my SFC in, you can take 1 plastic bag on the airplane with your hand luggage, so if i were you id get a plastic bag and put your games in it.
The airline staff just assume its Duty free, bought from the airport.

Hurrahhhh, going round Malaysia and Thailand et al for 2 months, starting week after next, good old graduate loan extension, so no posty for a while, have fun in Japan, anyone who goes.
Byeeee

coyott99
20-07-2004, 04:57 PM
hi everybody, I read all your comment about Tokyo ans so yesterday I decide to go over there in august... from 5 to 16 in fact . I choose Alitalia as flying company (less expenssive than any other) and send a mail to make a reservation at Juyoh Hotel. 5 minutes ago, I receive a message to tell me they are full...! :( I thought I sould have a cheap hotel... Well, is any of you able to tell me where I can go for a goog price...? Thanks :mellow:

tokyochojin
20-07-2004, 06:19 PM
Try www.sakura-house.com mate, they might have something for you.

coyott99
21-07-2004, 01:46 PM
Arigatoo gozaimasu Tokyochojin-san. I've already try sakura house and I red they offer house for min one month... :blink: But members of Juyoh Hotel were very kind and gived me an other adress, 5 min from them... It's hotel New Azuma (http://www9.ocn.ne.jp/~h-azuma/uk/) and they offer nearly the same condition... they are not expensive (3.100 yen a night for this summer) but I red they don't offer water or green thea... they are vending machines ... so not as cheap solution than Juyoh :dry: And as Juyoh, it is far in the north of Tokyo (near Minoma station). I hope it is not a problem to join the rest of the city anytime? And just can't wait to go there :D It all thanks to you people; you convinced me with all the description...
By the way, I read it is top heating now... the most important since 1923 ("Tokyo temperature hits record high as heat wave continues")... I hope Mosquitoes are not going to survive this heat. Just hate them. I would like to find a good cheap camera there so I could make nice pictures and send them here. Anyway, I'm going to LOVE this trip. thanks everybody.
hum, one more thing: Hankwangford, are you still going to there from 6 to 21 August? Hope can see u :happy: Ciao from Belgium

coyott99
23-07-2004, 05:08 PM
Tokyochin : you were right... I look again and find hotel :blink: ... thanks again

edandersen
25-07-2004, 08:56 PM
I'm randomly taking myself over to Tokyo for a fortnight in just over a weeks time (4th-18th) and returning just in time for A level result fun. I'm staying with everyone's favourite (!) Sakura Hotel where they have called me "Mr. Ed" in my emails for a week. I should come dressed as a horse.

I'll eat well (?20 nosh budget a day) and will restrict my shopping. I plan on getting pissed as a fart on numerous occasions. If any of you chaps fancy getting drunk one night if you are out there, I'm up for it, but not fussed if I end up on my own for a fortnight to be honest. Chunky american gaijin will be the only other option for company.

I'll be blogging on meh website!

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
02-08-2004, 02:48 PM
No sticky any more?
Can anyone help me out with a link, i need a flight from bangkok to Tokyo 1 way in October, expedia and ebookers give hilarious prices, anyone know any better for asian travell?

Cheers

Sarkster
02-08-2004, 03:39 PM
have you tried flight centre? flightcentre.co.uk you might have to call em though as they only quote UK -> somewhere else prices on their website. They are usually quite cheap.

hankwangford
02-08-2004, 04:09 PM
hum, one more thing: Hankwangford, are you still going to there from 6 to 21 August? Hope can see u :happy: Ciao from Belgium

Sorry, didn't see this thread recently for some reason :S Sure am :D Come on Friday, you mother****er, be here NOW.

edandersen
02-08-2004, 05:00 PM
Boo at lack of sticky chaps!

Off tommorrow .. I CANNAE WAIT I TELL YE!

edandersen
04-08-2004, 10:03 PM
Morning chaps, I'm here safe and sound.

I heartily recommend Sakura Hotel in the end, bloody nice place for the price and a great location.

If you haven't been here already, I seriously recommend coming - everything is so cheap! 70p a bottle of coke! GBP1.50 for 20 fags! Pints no more expensive than the south east of England -- hell, you can get an entire meal and a pint of Guinness for a fiver if you know where to look.

About to do the whole Akihabara thing. JOY

tokyochojin
05-08-2004, 10:15 AM
Jushin, check out Airline network. I always use them from travelling from the UK to Tokyo although i am unsure if they do any other departures other than from the UK. Anyway worth a try mate. 26 days for me to go until i am hooked into the 'sarary' man traid in Tokyo, so if you wanna hook up for a beer when your there give us a shout ;)

coyott99
08-08-2004, 07:00 AM
hi everybody
hello from Juyoh Hotel in Tokyo. Much nicer than the New Azuma one...
super hot here at the moment... feel crazy!
Big thanks to you all for the informations about this beautiful and crazy city.
returning :)
bye

MD
09-08-2004, 07:14 AM
I'm off in 5 days for a few weeks, looking forward to my apartment in Akihabara. :D

How you two finding the Japanese heat?

edandersen
09-08-2004, 08:36 AM
Its chuffing hot. I have hidden in the GeraGera manga cafe in Akiba for the last half hour. Just haggled a lovely discman`s price down 20%. WIN!

AND I just got the Space Channel 5 Part 2 DC boxset for 50 quids. Fluffy white headphones = teh cool.

dave heats
09-08-2004, 06:39 PM
It was way too hot over there last month. Looks like I'll be going to California next summer, Tokyo's kind of lost its magic for me somewhat. Been there two years on the trot, and theres only so much you can do. Was thinking of going snowboarding in Japan and going to Tokyo for a week, but its pretty pointless. Still, Ill be teaching over there at some point anyway >_<

Ed, did you get the SC5 boxset from the smallish store right close to the Akiba station 'electric town' exit? Or from elsewhere? Btw, if youre after boxsets, the main sofmap store on the highstreet has some rare sets in its glass case on the 3rd floor from time to time. Check it out.

MD
12-08-2004, 06:11 PM
Hmm this topic has fallen off the first page, so going to bump it. :D

Off to Japan tomorrow, can't wait. Hopefully might meet one or two of you when I am there. :)

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
13-08-2004, 02:58 PM
Jushin, check out Airline network. I always use them from travelling from the UK to Tokyo although i am unsure if they do any other departures other than from the UK. Anyway worth a try mate. 26 days for me to go until i am hooked into the 'sarary' man traid in Tokyo, so if you wanna hook up for a beer when your there give us a shout ;)
I sure will mate, dunno when it will be depends on how much money i spend in Thailand, Ill probably be there in late Oct.

Why isnt this thread a sticky any more? even when its not being posted on, it has pages and pages of everything you need to know about gaming in Japan.

People may not be able to find it if it slips down the forum

just an ides

DjSatansfury
13-08-2004, 03:00 PM
Because marcus decided a sticky cull was needed. And seeing as at the time no one was posting, and only about 4 of you post, it got de-stickied.

PM him or check the Comment and Suggestions page. It's on there somewhere

Typhoon Thompson
16-08-2004, 01:29 PM
Just booked my tickets to Sydney and then hitting Tokyo for 25 days on the way home 1-25th November.

Anyone else going to be around in Tokyo at that time?

sithlordx
29-10-2004, 12:56 PM
whats the cheapest flight for just a 3 or 4 day trip to Tokyo?

Tom Salter
29-10-2004, 12:58 PM
I could only find flights for ?400 cheapest, and they were proper nasty budget ones. Can't remember where I found them, but they were somewhere in this thread ;p

MD
29-10-2004, 01:41 PM
Serioulsy it's not rally worth the effort for a 3 or 4 day trip, as the cheapest flights are going to be with Turkish Air, Lufthansa or Aeroflot and you'll end up spending about 2 days of your trip just flying (or flying then waiting pointlessly for ages to get to your connecting flight), you will also have Jetlag as sleeping on flights is sometime difficult to do. A lot of direct flights you have to spend at least 5 nights in Japan or they charge a premium...

If you do want to spend at least 5 days (a week is minimum really) you can get a direct flight with JAL or Virgin for around 600 quid if you book at least 21 days in advance.

sithlordx
29-10-2004, 01:46 PM
Yeah im thinking of a 9 day trip now providing I can get the time

Any links??

moosedeer
15-11-2004, 09:28 AM
Im thinking about going to japan next year. I was thinking about going about 21st march to the 4th of april, is it nice this time of year in japan?
How much money am I going to need for this?
Thanks
Moose

Typhoon Thompson
15-11-2004, 11:46 AM
Not sure about the weather but spending money wise I am surviving on about 10 quid per day (excluding games purchases). I mostly eat stuff from the little shop next door, take aways, noodles, baked goods etc, and my room has a fridge which is V handy.

Hotels are around 15-30 quid a night depending if you just want cheap and cheerfull or a room with some, erm room. :)

Trains/ tubes to get around are dirt cheap, from one side of Tokyo to the other will cost you 3 or 4 quid max.

All in all I am very suprised how cheap Tokyo is after being told by most people that is was a very expensive place to live.

In my 3 weeks here I think I will have spent just over a grand all in.

:)

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
15-11-2004, 05:32 PM
Leaving for Sapporo tommorow, my cheap as f*ck flight means i have to travel

Manchester - Frankfurt - Dubai - Tokyo - Sapporo

What a nice little tour of the world that is, shame i wont actually see anything.

Loking forward to find what bargains i can in Sapporo, it wont be as good as Tokyo or Osaka, but you never know

Zanza
15-11-2004, 07:12 PM
Aye Osaka's Denden town was tehwin
picked up a boxed ps2 seaman with controller and microphone for the equivelent of ?2 in Superpotato, altho im confused as wether or not i have to talk to my seaman in japanese ??? Also seven samurai 20xx for ?4 still sealed, which altho was pants, was worth at least 2 of those ?4's. Its shocking just how big the electronic shoping area's are in japan, it was litterly the size of liverpool, and just stacked with huge electronic shops/department stores. Mind blowing.

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
15-11-2004, 10:24 PM
altho im confused as wether or not i have to talk to my seaman in japanese ???

Yeah, we all get lonely at times in Japan...................

I couldnt let that comment go unnoticed

Zanza
16-11-2004, 10:31 AM
cant belive i let that one slip (T_T)

Nobu
25-11-2004, 02:35 AM
Wow, really nice thread. In fact, so nice I had to register so I could be a part of it. Will be going to Tokyo and Kyoto (and then back to Tokyo) during a stay of twelve days in Japan, from the 28th of March 2005. I feel like a kid waiting for the day of departure to come. Travelling with my local Aikido-club so I expect to be reporting in here with lively stories on the outcome of great Senseis at Hombu Dojo trying to improve this disillusioned Norwegian's Aikido. Can't wait!

Are there any galleries or similar pages set up by you guys, from your trips to the land of the rising sun? Would love to see more, and to get more advice on what shops to visit and how to survive the first meeting with Tokyo's tube system. And what clubs to go to in the nighttime.

Looking for places which feature music like The Chemical Brothers, The Prodigy, Fluke and similar (don't know what genres to put that under really. Wipeout-soundtracks? ;)) and more rocked places. Are there any clubs which have a sort of neo-melancholic approach? Radiohead-ish Blade Runner is what I'm thinking.

Anyway, won't bombard this thread with more requests, but I would like to thank all the major posters in this thread for all the info they've provided. Would love to hear more.

Edit: By the way: Would someone list up more dishes and places to buy them? Not to mention actually how to order something. I don't speak Japanese, unfortunately, and I'm quite nervous as far as ordering and buying stuff is concerned.

Zanza
25-11-2004, 10:42 AM
If your intrested I can post my photies from kyoto. Its a fantastic city, I only spent 2 days there, but I managed to cram in several of the amazing shrines, and national tresures, could of done with 3-4 days to see everything I wanted to. Ill give you some recommended places to visit if your intrested, but I have to wait till I get home to get my info, and photies.

Nobu
25-11-2004, 03:32 PM
Would very much appreciate that. Seems Kyoto is the place to go for sights of the more historic type? Looking forward to going there.

Nobu
30-11-2004, 01:32 PM
How about those pics Zanza?

Could people list up their favorite shops here, btw? Would be nice to see some argumentation for that as well. Could be a nice little list to go by once some of us eventually get to Japan.

moosedeer
30-11-2004, 02:02 PM
I would love to see some pics aswell.
Is there some kind of clothes district in tokyo? (well there seems to be one for everything else) Id like to get some cool new clothes while im out there, the kind of stuff i wouldnt be able to buy back at home.
Also could people give me a few average prices of stuff out there e.g. a beer,train/bus/taxi fares,food (bearing in mind i dont like fish, so sushi is pretty much out but i will give it a try).

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
07-12-2004, 07:54 AM
Got back from Sapporo last week.
I stayed with a friend who isnt interested in games at all, so i didnt bother dragging her round the games stores looking for rare Saturn games.
Picked up a few SFC titles in a junk store for pennies Zelda - Front Mission - SOM - AJPW - Geoman all for Y120 each.
Got a DS, but havn't played it much at all really, probably because Pro Evo 4 on live has so captivated me (What have i become??????)
Wouldnt recomend Sapporo for a gaming expeition as you might expect, unless acompanied by someone who knows the scene. (see that excellent seing the invisible article on here a year or so ago, MORE PLEASE!)
Sapporo as a city was great, more relaxed than Tokyo and Osaka, the people looked different too in some way i couldnt put my finger on.
I re-discovered my love of Yoshinoya Gyudon and that Salmon eggs dish - Great VFM.

So there you go
4 day Trip to Tokyo in April with work, life is not at all bad!

dave heats
07-12-2004, 09:18 AM
I'll be over there in March or April for 2-3 weeks, so if we're there at the same time, we should hook up Justin.

I just got back from snowboarding, so I'm trying to pay that off in the meantime.

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
08-12-2004, 05:16 PM
Yeah mate, that would be awesome

I'll let you know the dates

JTL

darkangel
08-12-2004, 05:21 PM
Hi everyone, I was just wondering if theres any Gap year organisetions which do good programmes to Japan?

Personal opnions would also be apperciated :)

Cheers dudes! :happy:

Nobu
07-01-2005, 02:48 PM
I just found out which hotels I will be staying at, during my trip to Japan (Tokyo-Kyoto-Tokyo), from March 29 to April 9. Has anyone of you stayed at either of these hotels, and if so, could you give me any details on it? What I'm most curious about is bathroom and shower facilities, and location.

Tokyo: Shinjuku New City Hotel
Kyoto: Hotel Station (unclear)

Well? :D

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
23-01-2005, 12:14 PM
Might be worth bumping, what with the sudden increase in Japan trips

Kungfu
23-01-2005, 01:30 PM
It seems that a week doesn't go by without someone informing us of an upcoming trip to Japan but why is it so rare for anyone to report back about how their trip went?

You know, I just wondered.

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
24-01-2005, 10:48 AM
I think everyone who cames back here is just too depressed about being back in this sorry excuse for a country to write about their trip.

the UK does seem ****e for a few weeks when you come back from Nihon

Kungfu
24-01-2005, 01:59 PM
Been away for 5 months upto now travelling through South East Asia, and to be honest am a little worried about how I will react on my return to the UK.

Saurian
24-01-2005, 02:27 PM
I think everyone who cames back here is just too depressed about being back in this sorry excuse for a country to write about their trip.

the UK does seem ****e for a few weeks when you come back from Nihon

I was like a ghost when I came back - this place is so depressing and it all hit me at once when I got back here. I couldnt talk about my trip at all, not even to friends. But when I was there I was proper happy and went on and on about what a time I was having!

huxley
24-01-2005, 02:52 PM
oh great so I`m gonna have a come down when I get back am I?
the Aki map on page one doesnt work for me.
Can some kind sole post another link please.

Nobu
25-01-2005, 01:11 AM
Two months and four days until I leave for Japan. Will return the 9th of April, after visiting Tokyo and Kyoto, and then back to Tokyo again. I've mentioned this before, but what I was wondering is if anyone will be in either place during that period of time...?

Kungfu
25-01-2005, 07:01 AM
Nobu which Airline are you flying with out of interest?

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
25-01-2005, 10:49 AM
I will be going in mid-May with work, which is nice.
I only managed to get the gig because i MASSIVELY overplayed my Japanese language skills. (Also nobody else wanted to go to Japan on their own)
I'd better arrange some language lessons before then, really.
Flying business class with Virgin!!!!

Kungfu
25-01-2005, 02:10 PM
[QUOTE=Jushin-Thunder-Liger](Also nobody else wanted to go to Japan on their own)QUOTE] :wtf:

You must have some bizarre colleagues, I would of jumped at the chance.

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
25-01-2005, 03:34 PM
[QUOTE=Jushin-Thunder-Liger](Also nobody else wanted to go to Japan on their own)QUOTE] :wtf:

You must have some bizarre colleagues, I would of jumped at the chance.
Just your normal office staff with no interest in Japan, besides flogging our Credit Card links to websites over there.

Tychom
25-01-2005, 03:45 PM
Me and a mate will be in Tokyo for two weeks from mid-March, bumming about eating, drinking and generally looking around.

Still trying to decide on a hotel though..

huxley
25-01-2005, 07:34 PM
I`m gonna be in Tokyo from the 30th of May for 2 weeks with a mate staying at the Kieo Plaza flying on Virgin

Nobu
27-01-2005, 02:12 AM
Nobu which Airline are you flying with out of interest?

All Nippon Airways. I don't know if that's crap or not, but according to the guy in charge of the whole thing, our Aikido Sensei, it seems to be of average quality. Though perhaps someone here would be able to fill us in on that?

tokyochojin
27-01-2005, 02:27 AM
Nippon Air= Cute stewardesses=sorted.

Kungfu
27-01-2005, 08:44 AM
Nippon Air= Cute stewardesses=sorted.

Will bear that in mind when I book my flight. ;)

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
27-01-2005, 10:17 AM
Anyone have any recomendations for hotels in Shibuya for around ?50 a night?
If not, then Shinjuku
The web aint proving to be very helpfull

womblingfree
27-01-2005, 05:59 PM
Anyone have any recomendations for hotels in Shibuya for around ?50 a night?
If not, then Shinjuku
The web aint proving to be very helpfull

For 50 pounds a night you can stay in Love Hotels in Shibuya or indeed anywhere else. On weekdays they will be cheaper.

You have to leave by about 11 or 12 the next day but they have far better facilities than cheap hotels in those areas. I mean big TV's, karaoke machines, games consoles, jacuzzi's.

You don't have to be about to shag someone to stay in one and in fact if there are a few of you you can all bundle into a room for the same price.

One bit of advice, stock up on food and drink before you go in. The drinks are really expensive in there and once you're in you usually have to stay in the room till you leave. Everything is usually automated.

Here are a few:

http://www.tokyo.to/backissues/apr00/tj0400p6-10/

If you don't fancy that then try Holiday Inn.

EDIT:

By the way this thread really should be stickied again.

Nobu
27-01-2005, 06:45 PM
I forgot to mention I'm going Economy Class. Meaning I could be drowning in some fat bastard's spare flesh, or falling through the floor of the plane. Those Business/Club Class seats look insane though. Oh well. Hopefully I'll be out cold for half of the flight, so I won't collapse once we get to Narita.

Edit: And yes, sticky sticky.

Jushin-Thunder-Liger
28-01-2005, 09:27 AM
For 50 pounds a night you can stay in Love Hotels in Shibuya or indeed anywhere else. On weekdays they will be cheaper.

You have to leave by about 11 or 12 the next day but they have far better facilities than cheap hotels in those areas. I mean big TV's, karaoke machines, games consoles, jacuzzi's.

You don't have to be about to shag someone to stay in one and in fact if there are a few of you you can all bundle into a room for the same price.

One bit of advice, stock up on food and drink before you go in. The drinks are really expensive in there and once you're in you usually have to stay in the room till you leave. Everything is usually automated.

Here are a few:

http://www.tokyo.to/backissues/apr00/tj0400p6-10/

If you don't fancy that then try Holiday Inn.

EDIT:

By the way this thread really should be stickied again.

Yeeeess, but as its a business trip i'm not sure i want to be claiming expenses for a love hotel!
I have been in a few before and really enjoyed it, last time i stayed in 1 was with a Dutch girl in Roppongi, man that was awesome.........

The theme was a bit baffling, it was like a Hello Kitty knock off, i fealt like a bloody peadofile having sex amongst all that.

Anyway, the Holiday Inn sounds allright to me.

Also, is that club called "Club Asia" still open? I went once and had a great time, it was easy pickings ;-)
I think it was in Shibuya, am i right?