Let's talk PC Engine/Turbo Grafx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's talk PC Engine/Turbo Grafx

I'm considering picking a machine up but I am absolutely clueless about it and have never played one, in fact I don't think I've ever seen one in real life But I'd like to see what all the fuss is about 1st hand

What are the best games for it, I'm after stuff that's exclusive or better on it than alternative consoles

Am I right in thinking the JPN console is the PC Engine and the US one is the Turbo Grafx? Can a US console play JPN games and vice versa?

Any info would be much appreciated

Geezer

Good choice mate! Definitely tied with the Neo as my Retro console of choice.

You are correct in saying the Japanese model is the PC Engine and the American is the Turbo Grafix. Avoid the American one to be honest, it's ugly and not many games were released for it so you would need to track down a Hucard converter to let you play Japanese games on it.

Which machine to buy is pretty complicated. You have your Basic PCE which will only play Hucards but is very cheap. You also have the various models of Duos which is what I would recommend. Reasonably cheap and they will play all Hucard games and most cd games you can throw at them.

You can also get a handheld one (The GT) which despite going through batteries like they are going out of fashion is a great machine and you also have a PCE LT or Laptop which is the Ultimate in designer cool. Even looks quite futuristic now.

As for exclusive or better versions of games there are loads. It is up there with the Saturn as the shooter machine of choice and hosted some superb arcade conversions too. Obviously the R-Type conversions spring to mind but you also have classics like Soldier Blade, Rayxanber III, Salamander, Parodius, Kikikaikai, the PC Kid series, the Wonderboy games and absolutely loads more.

If there is a particular genre you like then I can be more specific with recommendations 8)

Hope that convinces you to go for it.

Comment

My choice would be to go for a Duo. It doesn't matter which as they can be picked up pretty cheap. I may even go for another Duo, possibly a Duo-R.

As for games, if you are a shooter fan, this is THE console to own. At the moment I'm addicted to Gunhed and Parodius(better than the SFC version!!!!!).

Comment

Is the CastleVania game any good for it? I believe it's the same as A Vampires Kiss on the SNES, whats different between them? I'm "hoping" the audio on the PCEngine ver is loads better as it's a CD game. and what PC Engine would I need to play it as I've been after a PC Engine for ages, but never known which one to get so I can play the last castlevania game I need to track down

Comment

This sort of question has been asked before.

Hardware and Hucard games:

CD Rom games:

Comment

A friend of mine is selling a White PCEngine/CDROM suitcase setup. All is boxed and includes an original pad and 2 Avenue 6 pads. He deffo has R-Type 1, Parodius and SF2' and prolly others that I don't remember. Post back if your interested and I'll give you his e-mail.
            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Been looking at the pc engine for some time now, still not sure I 'need' this console. I used to have a core gfx, but will go for one of the duo models this time.

btw check this out:

Pc Engine

Comment

I should be getting a Duo R, Shububiman 3, Spriggan, Metal Stoker and Legendary Axe delivered tomorrow courtesy of VGI. I've never played PCE games before, but I'm really excited
                I've also got Rayxanber III and Browning coming soon.

Now I just need to get hold of someone who'll undertake the RGB mod for me...

Comment

Thanks to all for the info, looks like I'm going to take the plunge

Is ?60 including EMS shipping a good price for the machine, boxed with instructions etc.?
                  They are all the same price from OtakuMW, is the only difference between the PC Engine and the PC Engine Core Grafx 1 and 2 the system colour?

With regards to games I am really up for solid shmuppage and old school platformers. Please recommend some that are light on the pocket to start with 'cos my Saturn collection has kinda totalled my bank balance

Also, I noticed that there a quite a few Sega games on it, why is this?didn't Sega have the Master System to put their games on?

Comment

It's a system that was amazing back in the day that has aged poorly. The arcade ports were fantastic but now they can found on other systems and are more accurate. Genre by genre the Mega Drive and Super Famicom are far superior. I would even argue that the recent Hudson remakes make the originals obsolete. There are lots of shooters on the format but again, the PSone and Saturn examples are better.

Dracula X is amazing though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jashin
                      Now I just need to get hold of someone who'll undertake the RGB mod for me...
                      Saurian does a fantastic RGB mod for the Engine. You can't tell the machine has been modded - it's that good.

Oh, and in terms of hardware aesthetics, the original white Engine has never been beaten.

Comment

I'd get the original White Engine...may not have all the bells of whistles of the later models but clearly is the cutest looking console in the world ever.

How I miss mine....

Nope better stop otherwise I'll be looking for one too...argh!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by SS004
                            btw check this out:

Pc Engine
                            I've bought from him before, he is a good seller to deal with. He was trying to get $1600 for Darius Alpha alone a few months back so if you can afford it that may be a good deal. I paid about ?650 for my Darius Alpha so the rest of it is fairly cheap.

Comment

I don't think it has aged poorly at all, probably the opposite in my eyes.
                              For a console made before the MD and super famicom it holds up well I think.
                              I think the pce could have handled most things the snes and megadrive could do, not including mode 7 or any on chip upgrades to carts.

Hardware wise the design of it is simply amazing, the more time goes on the more I appreciate it's design.
                              A LT in a cdrom add on looks the business.
                              Only a navi saturn+screen looks better.

I like all three consoles mentioned.
                              Discovering a nice game thats over a decade old I had never heard of is interesting.
                              Comparing conversions is also interesting for me, sometimes better graphics and better sound on higher powered hardware does not equate to better gameplay.
                              The pc engine comes out winner with some conversions when it comes to gameplay imo.

Disagree with the original versions of the hudson games becoming redundant though.
                              If anything, I appreciate the originals more now after playing the updated versions.
                              I got into pc engine super star soldier much more after playing the GC version too, and pc kid was always in rotation even before the updated version was released.

I just wish I had the money to buy pc engine stuff at the time of release.
                              The days before ebay and online retailers were too harsh for me to consider collecting for more than one format.

Comment

Working...
                              X