Rainbow Six 3 LIVE witchcraft/shenanigans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rainbow Six 3 LIVE witchcraft/shenanigans

You're going to think this is superstitious claptrap. But ever since a group of us were unceremoniously chucked out of a lobby and forced to download the Rainbow Six 3 patch last weekend, Things Have Changed.

Ostensibly, the patch merely fixed a few tech issues and provided the welcome option to disable the fiddy cal sniper rifle. However, we play a lot of Terrorist Hunt, we being myself and a bunch of old Paragonian mates back in Britain, and now los terroristas don't stick to their usual patterns at all. They completely mix it up every time we play, meaning you actually have to be careful and maybe even a little frightened on every round. They're rushing us from doorways; loitering where they never loiter; sneaking up on us where they shouldn't be. The scariest trick is when you dash round a corner, *knowing* there is always, without fail, a bad guy there, and he's not. That means he's loose! He could be anywhere. All of a sudden the game ceases to be a cold, rehearsed, tightly choreographed culling and once again becomes four jittery men with bad nerves hoping they don't get shot. Which is all for the good.

So, has anyone else been noticing this? Or are we, as I suspect, the only people in the world playing Terrorist Hunt online? It doesn't even seem to be new routines so much as genuinely random (as it should be), but maybe we just haven't learned them all yet.

(All of this is on Elite level since, you know, we're hard.)

Heya! I used to play loads of terrorist hunt before the patch on elite and that was how the NPCs used to behave. Vanishing from their usual routes and basically making life harder for the team. In fact, it almost seemed like there were fewer enemies on elite than on veteran. In a level like the Crespo foundation, my friends and I once went through the first five rooms without coming across a soul, that was of course till one of us got shot in the head entering a dark room. Very good fun though.
    Elite is the only way to play terrorist hunt though. Very good fun.
    Oh, and I think the spawns are random...then again, I have never been one for figuring out AI patterns.

Comment

Yeah I've never noticed different patterns on the lower difficulty settings, but on Elite they definately mix it up a bit.
      It can be quite creepy sometimes aswell, especially on the Alcatraz level .

Comment

I have only played Terrorist Hunt in the days before the recent patch, and they definitely varied their routines on Elite.

I would say that the weirdest thing I've found about Terrorist Hunt is the fact that I've met some people who only play TH and never Team Survival. Shooting the CPU is ok, but imo nothing like testing your skills against other humans. I do think TH can be fun though.

Anyone ever played one player? I played the half way through the first level, and decided to go back to Live. Not that it was bad, just that Live is so compelling.

Comment

I played up to level 6 on 1 player. But that was because I didnt have live at the time.

Comment

I really enjoy the one player campaign. I bought RSix3 on lauch day in October, but didn't sign up for Live until two weeks ago. After everyone signs off early (all me Brit mates can only last until about 2 am, which is only 9 pm for me) I tend to continue my campaign. Up to the mardi gras level last night. I guess there's only that and the airport to go?

It's vital to me, that I can play it like that. I'm unlikely to buy a game that only really works online (CounterStrike) because it's too ephemeral and dependent. I want to be able to play my favorite games even if I'm away from a broadband connection or my Live sub expires.

Also, I don't want it to be unusable if in two years I dig it out for a go and all the servers are closed down or the players are gone. It'd be like booting up Perfect Dark only to find that all the bad guys have defected and are living safely in Wyoming under the witness protection program.

No, if they want my money, they have to give me a solid solo game.

Comment

I've never actually played through the campaign mode at all. Tactical shooters scare me because it's much harder (for me) to make sure the AI does what I want it to...I have never been good with a computer team

I used to play only TH online as well, before you guys coaxed me into playing the adversarial modes again. I enjoyed sneaking around with mates and having a good bash at the AI. My main problem with adv types of play online is just the fact that, barring some stroke of luck, you end up playing with either complete wierdos, or John Rambo types who are only concerned with their ELO and not the dynamics of teamplay.

Comment

I feel the same way. I keep my Friends list very pruned and tend only to play with people I know personally. More fun for me that way. I don't mind being on a team with my mates against a bunch of strangers, though, that's okay.

This is just RSix3 though. In racing games and such I don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by the shape
                  I feel the same way. I keep my Friends list very pruned and tend only to play with people I know personally. More fun for me that way. I don't mind being on a team with my mates against a bunch of strangers, though, that's okay.

Can I be your friend??

Comment

Originally posted by Cacophanus

Can I be your friend??
                    I didn't even know you were on Live...

Comment

Originally posted by martTM
                      ...of course I am on bloody Live

Comment

Originally posted by Cacophanus
                        Originally posted by martTM
                        ...of course I am on bloody Live
                        There's no "of course" about it. You famously play only one "game" on your Xbox, wouldn't tolerate it in the house otherwise, and frequently speak of having no free time since you began sketching the tail fins of airplanes, sat on your little rug out on the grass at Heathrow.

Come to think of it, what are the chances that Mart or I will even have whatever silly big robots game you're into at the moment?

CACOPHANUS
                        Available in: SUPER INVISIBLE MIND EXPLODE CHOKI DOKI IV
                        Voice: On

Please insert the disc SUPER INVISIBLE MIND EXPLODE CHOKI DOKI IV to join CACOPHANUS

Do you even have Rainbow Six 3? Are you aware of it? We're playing it tonight, 9 pm your time. You're welcome to join us. Except I'm not telling you my tag.

Comment

There's no "of course" about it. You famously play only one "game" on your Xbox, wouldn't tolerate it in the house otherwise, and frequently speak of having no free time since you began sketching the tail fins of airplanes, sat on your little rug out on the grass at Heathrow.

Come to think of it, what are the chances that Mart or I will even have whatever silly big robots game you're into at the moment?
                          I am currently "into" Homeworld 2 at present, which has a discernable lack of mecha (lovely game however). As for my Xbox Live regulars, they consist of PGR2 and the ****tily godawful piece of trash that is the excremental MechAssault (it's bad by the way). Bar that, I dabble in Rainbow Six 3 and laugh maniacally at CounterStrike.

Naturally, once Tekki Taisen is released I will have to change my identity (I may be infamous now, but people will kill me if they have to play against someone who can railgun them from a gazillion miles away...with their eyes closed). On a scale of 1 to mildy good, I ****ing rock at Tekki.

Nuff said...

CACOPHANUS
                          Available in: SUPER INVISIBLE MIND EXPLODE CHOKI DOKI IV
                          Voice: On

Please insert the disc SUPER INVISIBLE MIND EXPLODE CHOKI DOKI IV to join CACOPHANUS

Do you even have Rainbow Six 3? Are you aware of it? We're playing it tonight, 9 pm your time. You're welcome to join us. Except I'm not telling you my tag.
                          I have Rainbow Six 3, but I aint that great at it (no time to practice), will see if I can meet up tonight...but I maybe pubbing...

Looking forward to being shot in the head though!

Comment

Working...
                          X