Breakdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breakdown

So it?s a sci-fi action adventure title only to be found on the Xbox, apparently you play as Derrick not the best name ever for the all action hero you?ll be portraying but still. Your confronted when you first load the disc up from the usual high end presentation you expect from a Namco, a little intro to set the mood of the world ending that type of thing.

You start off in a hospital bed, looking around wondering where the hell you are suffering from amnesia, some guy is waffling on in the background about your there last hope, and then a strange woman appears from nowhere, looks like she?s materialised from some sort of time jump shakes you around and the shoots off again. After getting to grips with the control method through a series of tests (training missions), you make your way back to your bed to rest and have some food?now the doctors have put your lunch out, you take a bit from a nice looking burger, hey hang on why?s the picture going all funny, the dirty little bastards have drugged the maccy d?s, unless it was off as usual, you fall back into bed like you?ve had too many beers. Night night you think?Then all hell breaks loose the doctor in the control room above gets shot and a load of army guys burst into your room ready to blow your brains all over the wall, and you can?t do anything due to you having that happy meal, lucky then the bird we saw earlier makes a daring entrance and quickly dispatches with the nasty men with guns, and that?s just in the first 5 minutes.

Namco have done something a little different hear as we know by incorporating hand to hand combat in this first person shooter .Gone is the weak kick from duke nukem, and rubbish crate smashing crowbar from half life. There are a few moves I have seen unto yet in my 90 mins of play, left trigger seems to do a quick jab that can be followed up with a kind of forearm smash, all so if an enemy is on the ground you can kick them, the right trigger is your more powerful hand for punching and also after a few presses let?s out a kick to the face. The usual guns come to arms as well, locking on and changing target s with a press of the A button and R trigger to unleash the fury of bullets.

Also when you walking around trying to get out of the hospital which is been over run buy the army who?s only mission is to see you with a gravestone above you rotting corpse. You basically start to hallucinate, seeing all manner of trippy things like cats that glow, to your own arm being stripped of flesh and muscle only to leave a skeletons arm in its place?Luckily that goes away, sometimes derrick brings his arm in to view to show it glowing with a lightning effect, this is to symbolise his powers returning to his weakened body. You will need you powers quickly too as your confronted my biomechanical enhanced men that dispatch you with ease.

I?m enjoying it quite a bit despite the fact I have seen a few unhappy previews, and it does all feel a little familiar, a bit half life in its general feel of scripted moments, fire through door ways and people being thrown around to your disbelief. The one thing that it used well is your general view from inside Derrick?s head, moving around as you perform task and seeing your arms flailing around in front of you as you try to grapple onto a pipe or moving up ladders.

It?s good so far, I hope it keeps on delivering?..

Cheers for that! Great post! Keep up the good work!

Comment

I've been looking forward to this for sometime, mainly as it tries to do something I think could add a little something to every future FPS with its highly realistic first person view. I really hope it does work too, though we shall see.

I'm hoping for my copy to turn up early next week so I can get a review out as soon as possible.

Comment

You got that quick, it's only been out two days!

Thanks for the impressions. Unless I hear lots of positive comments, this is one I'm going to pass by. I've never seen melee combat in a first person game done well (Heretic and Hexen both left me cold and the combat in Everquest is the worst part of the game).

That's not to say someone might not get it right. But spatial awareness is severely compromised in first person games, which for fighting multiple enemies hand to hand is a nightmare.

Comment

From what I understand of the game (which is admittedly very little), the hand to hand\ shooty ratio is fairly even over the entire game.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteJ
            From what I understand of the game (which is admittedly very little), the hand to hand\ shooty ratio is fairly even over the entire game.
            It seems so from what i've seen, shooting the normal human guys and smacking the more powerful one's in the face.

But then again you can uppercut the humans to the moon (well across the room)

Comment

Having seen and played the game for a brief while I was quite impressed. The game just seemed to ooze a certain coolness that is typically associated with Namco.

One of the things that struck me most about it was the similarities with Zettai Zetsumei Toshi/ Disaster Report. The environment and its subsequent hazards will be familiar to anyone who has spent time with Irems survive-em-up.

I'll play it a bit more before I make any concrete decisions on it though.

Comment

A Japanese FPS game? On a console? That'll never work! Except.... it does.... I've been playing it for a couple of hours and I'm really enjoying it. It's brave of NAMCO to launch their survival horror game in this format, instead of the traditional 3rd person style chosen by Konami and CAPCOM. The story is intriguing, and there are many really cool sequences and environments too.

Originally posted by spoiler
                I love the cat hallucination that precedes the sections where you are transported into the other dimensions. Stright out of the Matrix. lol
                It ain't as good as Siren (which is another Survival Horror that utilises a first person view much of the time), but it's a new idea and it's entertaining to play. Will the Japanese actually finally buy an FPS this time?

The website has plenty of nice artwork too. http://www.project-breakdown.com

Comment

One cool little thing i found last night while playing, was that if you run towards an enemy and pull both triggers at the same time you slide across the floor taking their legs from underneath them, then tapping the left trigger at the end of the slide does a elbow to the face as you rise from the floor....

Very cool

Comment

I heard that there's not much action in breakdown...that their's fights far and few between and that all the graphics look the same. I mean every hallway looks gray and it's hard to tell whats what in the game. I hope before they release it in the US & UK they go back and fix a few things and put more color in?

as this is Namco were talking about....I highly doubt that will happen.

Comment

Admittedly the variety of textures is very poor and will probably be the first thing you notice... reminded me of Goldeneye initally. Don't let it put you off though.

The game seems to have an even split between combat and environment negotiation, but it seems well paced and the fighting is satisfying, if a little fiddly at first.

Comment

Friend of mine picked it up today. Very nice looking game. The fps hand to hand feature makes u feel as if ur in the game that much more. And the movement of the character like going up the ladder or hangin off the bar in traning mode( cause i aint seen any more past that) is very slick and well done.

Will give it a go more and keep checkin back here on other peoples thoughts. Nice game so far.

Comment

Bloody Hell Derick can .....

Originally posted by spoiler
                          Fireball

Comment

I don't know how many of these they produced for the Japanese market but....ouch

1 GBA Pokemon Fire Red Pokemon 282,924
                            2 GBA Pokemon Leaf Green Pokemon 221,316
                            3 PS2 Hajime no Ippo 2 ESP 83,458
                            4 PS2 Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne Maniacs Atlus 27,859
                            5 PS2 Exciting Pro Wrestling 5 Yukes 22,039
                            6 PS2 The Rhapsody of Zephyr MMV 4,675
                            7 PS2 Shikigami no Shiro II (ltd pack) Taito 4,361
                            8 PS2 Shikigami no Shiro II Taito 4,089
                            9 DC Izumo Studio e-go ! 3,721
                            10 PS2 Secret Weapons over Normandy EA 2,362
                            11 XB Breakdown Namco 1,636
                            12 PS2 Simple 2000 Series : The First RPG D3 Publisher 1,545
                            13 DC Tamakyuu NEC Interchannel 1,431
                            14 PS2 Gungrave (Red Best Selection) Red Entertainment 1,240
                            15 DC Wind - a breath of heart - repackage version Alchemist 636

Comment

Looks like it sold 1 copy per Xbox then

Comment

Working...
                              X