SNES RPGs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SNES RPGs

Hi i want to boost my SNES game collection to RPGs when i was younger i never really played them etc... and recently i keep on hearing the quality of RPGs on the snes. So im curious to see what the ones to get and maybe how much i should be paying for them.

I'd have a butchers here:

A trusted source of unbiased RPG news, reviews, podcasts, and more, RPGFan offers extensive coverage of RPGs, graphic adventures, visual novels, and related genres.

Comment

Unfortunately all the ones i like are expensive nowadays and generally on NTSC release you didn't specify which region but since were on an import forum i'll assume NTSC for now, not gonna put prices as i'm sure there are many on here who could give you a better idea on cost.

Super Mario RPG. A Nice collaberation between square and ninty kind of the precursor to paper mario and mario and luigi superstar saga also only a few converters apparently run this properly.

Secret of Mana- My fave Square game more of an action RPG fantastic music and the added bonus of 3 player multitap support. Bliss, also got a rare PAL release as well.

FF6\3 - For some the BEST Fantasy for others the second best behind 7 fantastic visuals fantastic story some of the greatest SNES music ever and some of the more memorable characters in a nintendo game.

I'm sure others will chip in and but some other cheaper gems though the the ones i've mentioned are the three most obvious ones hope that helps though.

Comment

Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia are two good ones, although I wouldn't say they are the tip-top of the genre. Illusion Of Gaia was released in Europe as Ilusion Of Time though, so you can track down a copy for any region. They're the first two games in the Soul Blazer trilogy - the third game in the series was, of course, Terranigma.

Other than that, Final Fantasy 6 and Secret Of Mana are both classic games which I am sure you would enjoy. To be honest I don't agree with FF6 being anywhere near as good as 7 was, but it's an intricate story with a blend of interesting characters. Secret Of Mana is just an all round excellent title and is one of my favourite games of all time.

Comment

Chrono trigger I suppose, nearly finished it on emu (stupid thing crashes just before end boss i think) and was a pleasent romp, not as good as mana tho

Comment

I have PAL Lufia II here - Eventhough it's so rare and talked about I can never get into it whenever I try. Do I have to play for like 10 hours before it gets good or what?

Comment

Chrono Trigger is just about the best Rpg ever. Fact. well Fact IMO. It cost me ?45 quid on ebay though, but then I was prepared to pay anything for it. But it was worth it just to hear Frogs music.

Comment

Ive said this about a thousand times! SHADOWRUN! 2nd best RPG on the snes. Fo' sheasy!

Breath of fire aint too bad neither. All Snes RPG's are readily available, at the right price. but dont pay too much as the memory is never as good as the reality when you play it again or for the first time. Nostalgia baby, its a killer! makes you want somat that dont exist no more!

Comment

If you have time on your hands then I'd reccomend Seiken Densetsu 3, its not too hard to build a cartridge with the translation on and its completely worth it

I'm also enjoying Rudra's Treasure at the moment, again another translation but it was squaresofts last game for the snes and has a pretty unique fighting system.

Comment

Oh also dont forget Tales Of Phantasia, this has an amazing intro - vocals! A first for SNES i think.

Comment

*Looks at games rack*

Terranigma? Check.
                      Soul Blazer? Check.
                      Chrono Trigger? Check.
                      Secret of Mana? Check.
                      Earthbound? Check.
                      Actraiser? Check.

*Blows huge raspberry*

Comment

Originally posted by Blu3Flame
                        If you have time on your hands then I'd reccomend Seiken Densetsu 3, its not too hard to build a cartridge with the translation on and its completely worth it

I'm also enjoying Rudra's Treasure at the moment, again another translation but it was squaresofts last game for the snes and has a pretty unique fighting system.
                        Are you able to wire up carts with custom roms now? I tried emailing SnesDev a while ago form the Bahmut Lagoon thread but they have vanished and there is no way i am going to re wire eeproms into an old cart but would be very very interested if someone else could.....

lmk

Comment

Unfortunately I never got round to it, my plan was to build an eprom writer but I never got that far instead I ended up desoldering a load of mask roms from snes carts to see how they all worked Then spent my time dumping some of the undumped game to the PC for ZSNES team to have a poke at, I think doing a cart like Bahamut Lagoon would be out of my grasp.

There is a company working on a flash cart for the snes which would be the next best thing imo, I will let you know if I get any more news on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Blu3Flame
                            There is a company working on a flash cart for the snes which would be the next best thing imo, I will let you know if I get any more news on it.
                            now that sounds interesting....

Comment

Indeed They have already produced Megadrive and Master System flash carts and I know their next release is going to be the PC Engine flash cart but they have recently added drivers for a snes cart. So it looks like they have something up their sleeve.

Comment

Working...
                              X