Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake on MSX2

Has anyone else played this?

Some argue that it is the best in the Metal gear series. Released in 1994.
    Im inclined to agree with them.

Alot of its gameplay elements were used in future installments, and it also featured key plot elements about Grey Fox.

Due its insane rarity and high price, and the fact that its JPN only, the only way to play it properly is the translated rom.

Just curious, how many other NTSCers are huge fans of this like me?

Just about to start playing it on my Xbox. Jap version though hope it`s not too text heavy.

ps mgs is my fav set of games.

Comment

WHAT!?

Oh no, people are mistaking my topics again!

Sorry, I meant Metal gear on the MSX2, circa 1990, totally different to the metal gear on the xbox.

Its 2D, sprite based, made in 1990, on an ancient Japanese computer.

Its so rare and valuable its never been on auction, but people have estimetaed around the ?500+ for a mint copy, maybe even way more.

It is only playable via emulator on PC.
      I personally played the translated rom, the rom was translated by a proffesional group of translators.

Trust me, if you liked the Metal gear Solid series even a little bit, then you will absoultely love this game. Seriously, I rate this as the 3rd best game Ive played in my life.

Track it down, play it, love it, watch as your life collapses due to excess playing, then thank me later.

EDIT2:
      Cant find many images that work, google has plenty though if your willing to search.

Comment

It is only playable via emulator on PC
        not if you have a chipped xbox and a copy of fmsx

Comment

Omg, I have to get a rom of this . The day I completed Metal Gear Solid on Playstation was one of the best days of my life ['Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit, he's got a FAMAS, he's going to nail them, they're stuck under the truck . . . Yes! Foxdie! Bring it on!] . Solid Snake (along with Mr T and Dave Gorman) is THE MAN. Huxley, you reckon you could PM me links for the emulator and rom downloads?
          Cheers,
          The Real Pill Popper

Comment

Gah! I feel stupid now, I had no idea they had released a decent MSX emulator on the xbox, and I have a chipped xbox!

My mistake, sorry for doubting you.

Though you should try and get the translated version of the game.

Oh well, good to know there are other fans out there. Id guess that it controls quite nicely on a control pad.

Still, hopefully the posting in this topic will garner more interest in the game, get back and post your thoughts once youve played into it a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by otaku84
              Its 2D, sprite based, made in 1990, on an ancient Japanese computer.
              Think the Dutch would disagree with you on that one... ^_^

Its so rare and valuable its never been on auction, but people have estimetaed around the ?500+ for a mint copy, maybe even way more.
              Hmm more Ebay drivel. It's expensive but you can pick it up for around ?80/?100. It's uncommon as it is was only released in Japan but as I've had three copies in the last 3 years it's not all that rare. Was offered a copy for 150 Euros several months back too.

It is only playable via emulator on PC.
              You could of course play it on a real MSX 2 too...

I personally played the translated rom, the rom was translated by a proffesional group of translators.
              Group of MSX users that wanted to play it...

It's a good game even Mr Hideous says it's the best game of the series and the 2nd Metal Slug game on the Famicom is satans spawn (according to him...).

Comment

Thank you for clueing me up MD.

Damn, I blame EDGE and internet forums for filling my head with crap.
                I thought it never went on auction, ever. Thanks for letting me know.

It is damn nice though.

Anyway, you could play it on MSX 2, but youd lose all the plot since it isnt in English.

Hehehe, glad this is getting more attention. A great game, not many know about.

Comment

The old "Retro X" shop in Shepherd's Bush had a copy once I think. I definitely remember seeing two different MSX MGS games in stock, the more expensive of the two they were asking ?125 for.
                  Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Working...
                  X