Puyo Pop Fever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Puyo Pop Fever

Well, we got Puyo Xbox and GC before America and Japan! Its out tommorrow but someone I know who designed the promotional PAL material for the game got me an early copy of the Xbox version.

It is bloody excellent. Honestly. The Fever mode is a great addition, and rewards you for being able to spot massive comboes in a short amount of time. So good.

No Live support for Xbox, for which there really is no excuse. If I can do an online Puyo Puyo game, then Sonic Team could have done. Prats.

Oh well, its fun. More impressions (and screens) later.

Does it do 60Hz? I assume it does but just want to check.

Comment

NOM said it was **** :P

Play were doing the PAL GC version for ?14.99 delivered if thats of use to anyone.

Comment

NOM? As in Nintendo Official Magazine?

Comment

yeah, the issue with the fridge magnets in says "puzzle games are meant to be fun, this isn't" or something along those lines calling it a boring attempt.

Comment

Did they complain that it was in 2D and that they were playing the same game 10 years ago?

Comment

Its not 2D! (much)

The puyos are all 3D. Wickedy bo effects are all over the place. The game system has changed loads from classic Puyo Puyo .. NOM are willies.

And its a bargain price! ?20!

Comment

Can you cancel out the other person's combo attacks with your own carefully timed ones, like in PP4?

Comment

I saw the retail Xbox version today and it has the xbox live strip on the box? or is that just high score tables or something.

Comment

I wish someone would explain how you play Puyo Puyo to me. You get the little jelly dudes and stack them on each other. When you get 4 together they cuddle and dissapear which puts a stone block on the opponents side, which they cant get rid of unless they use a jelly dude combo to destroy them. Fine. But i've been playing PP4 and i am on like 5000 points with no lines at all stacked and the skeleton has almost a full screen and no points, then bam, about a million stones drop onto me and i'm screwed. Happens every time.

What am i missing

Comment

HAHAHA

NOM thats a laugh.

Not fit to wipe ya arse on.

Comment

Kirby-
                        I'm not actually much above your level, but I think I might be able to help you slightly. While you shove over one block for each line of four you do, you shove over noticably more if, by a line of four disappearing, another line of four falls into place, and then disappears. I think this is what people refer to as combos. If you can set up a chain reaction so one line is made, then another is formed, then another etc, you can shove over hideous numbers of blocks to the other guy, and suffocate him. That is why it is often advantageous for your screen to be half full or more, since you have more scope for these combos! In fact, some of my best (albeit often accidental) combos have occurred when my screen has been almost full, when suddenly everything falls into place, and hell gets loosed upon the opponent's screen.

Comment

Exactly, just like Puzzle fighter and Baku Baku, it's all about arranging the blocks into patterns whcih can be combo'd, the good players hardly ever go for the straight forward and obvious moves, you have to seperate out a colour with a different colour then destroy that to make the others drop into place. Link enough of these together and you have a screen crushing combo attack.

Comment

Dear Sonic Team

Please stop using Renderware for your games. It is far too tempting to do this to them:

All the best.

Love,
                            Ed

Comment

Aren't you the 1337 HaXXor!

Comment

Working...
                              X