Crying for a Remake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crying for a Remake

I'm sure we have these every once in a while, but here goes anyway.

My GF got me one of those Atari joysticks which plug into the tv for Christmas and I happened upon a game that I'd never seen or played before.

Circus Atari.

The game itself is so simple and yet its gameplay was so addictive that it got me thinking about the scope for revamping the game for the 21st century. You know move it to 2.5d, put some combos and other gameplay tricks in there, have proper sound and full on comedy graphics, 2 player mode. The potential is huge.

Just wondered if anyone else had thought about this or had similar designs on an equally worthy game.

You've never played Circus before?

Sadly the Atari Joystick crumbly affair isn't very good. ^_^; If you can find the original(!) and an Atari 2600 you can play it with some paddles (much more fun...).

I'm sure someone could do a new remake of it but like Space Invaders it would have limited appeal and there is still the question on who owns the Circus rights (it's not Atari, but Exidy are a little quiet these days...)

Comment

I can see that the paddles would afford a better degree of control, but the stick just gives it a twitchy goodness that appealed to my reflexes.

Just imagine the insane number of party games you could make with this simple mechanic though.

2 on 2 match ups, 3 player steal the clown, triple jump, racing, target practice, there is so much potential left untapped.

Put in some x-rated violence to keep the kids happy and you could have another sleeper hit like Monkey Ball.

Comment

Can?t remember the name now but I think there is similar game(play) like Circus Atari on a 16-bit machine but it?s at fire rescue - jump game.

Speaking of addictive, I play Time Pilot (Konami Collector's Series) on the GBA atm thinking why hasn?t anybody picked up this gameplay in a modern shmup?

Would like to see a sequel to Splatterhouse 3.

Comment

I've still got Circus for my Atari. My dad still has it set up to his tv, it's the only game he ever plays. Been playing it for about 18 years now

Comment

What`s his hi-score? He`s gotta be the circus daddy

Comment

Well, no. He's still crap at it.

66 year old people not renowned for their reflexes 8)

Comment

Thats great your dad plays videogames Big AL.
                I bet he has better reflexes than most 66 year old guys.
                With the years I have spent playing games, i will probably be riddled with arthritis at that age....i will be glad even if i can hold a joypad.

My friend works at a residential home, apparently tetris was a huge hit with some of the older residents.
                Seems to be more popular with the men from what she told me, older women seem to like bingo more.

Has he tried tetris at all m8?

Comment

Nah, I think tetris would make his head explode.

Circus Atari, Super Breakout and Yars Revenge are pretty much the only 3 games he's ever played.

Comment

66 year old people not renowned for their reflexes

Aye but he was only 48 when he first got into it.........I see what you mean.

Comment

Working...
                    X