Psyvariar 2: The Will To Fabricate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Psyvariar 2: The Will To Fabricate

Firstly it must be emphatically stated that Psyvariar 2 is simply one of the finest shoot-em-ups ever created. Whilst many venerate the opae from Treasure, and rightly so, it is clear that Takashi Ewagano's latest one-man foray utterly eclispses anything within the genre.

The game itself hasn't really undergone any drastic gameplay changes from the original. The main difference now though is that spinning has to be undertaken manually. This is not really a problem, because you can hold back whilst spinning to keep the spin active (as long as you remain mobile that is). Moreover, the lack of two player cooperation only helps to cement the true arcade nature of the series.

The nature being the anxious joy of scraping shots to near death, only to be rewarded for your insanity. This has been honed. We are now presented with a buzz field and a considerably more vunerable ship. The consequent upping of the ante only makes the gameplay more exciting and vibrant.

We also have two mecha now (rather than ships), one is tuned for quicker buzz and the other for better firepower. They also upgrade, like in the original, but this only occurs at the end of a stage rather than midway. Buzz levels also vary depending on what point you are in the level and not just during boss encounters.

The default difficulty (Normal) is cathartic fun whereas the pro-level (Very Hard) is utterly insane (the amount of buzz available dramatically decreases making it very hard to level-up and consequently kick-ass).

In short, Psyvariar 2 is an addictive and engrossing game that is clearly set to be sickeningly deep (the shot patterns are utterly disgraceful in terms excessive intricacy).

Ikaruga? Pah! Gather round, the best shoot-em-up ever created is Psyvariar 2.

Ah thanks for the info Caco, now I've just gotta wait till my copy arrives.

Comment

I also think it should be mentioned, that this would be an outstanding game on any system (even the bloody N-Gage)...that is how robust the actual gameplay is. Thank **** it's on the Dreamcast, eh?

Alan, I have a question though. How much does a Psyvariar 2 arcade cabinet go for these days?

Comment

Caccy - does Psyvariar 2 retain the "roll" button?

Comment

Not that I have found (but I was using the DC arcade stick). It has to be undertaken manually, like in the arcade.

Comment

Alan, I have a question though. How much does a Psyvariar 2 arcade cabinet go for these days?
            Can't say I've had a look yet, I assume if it runs on Naomi that the disk will cost the same as a regular new release.

Comment

Lets hope someone finds a roll button, otherwise us dpad users are going to have some trouble...

Comment

you can only configure the buttons to shot or bomb, theres no way to change 1 to roll, unless it changes when u put a pad in (which is doubtfull)

added :

Buzzing : by pressing left then right (or visa versa) you will start a buzz aslong as you keep moving it wont stop (was it like this in the first i cannot remember)

Lack of modes gone is the replay and the chance to play 1 stage, all you have to choose from is arcade or options. (maybe in the PS2 version this will be added)
                if you continue it starts you back of at the begining of that area, instead of where you died. (which could be usefull for practicing)

havnt figured out the scoring yet/or the size of the hitspot.

It seems alot more polished than the original, also the controls seem tighter(is that just me being used to the DC stick over a hori ps2 stick though)

some nice patterns, its almost like watching a fireworks display.

Comment

Buzzing : by pressing left then right (or visa versa) you will start a buzz aslong as you keep moving it wont stop (was it like this in the first i cannot remember)
                  No, in the first you had to keep moving left-right to roll. Maybe this was done to make up for the loss of the roll button.

havnt figured out the scoring yet/or the size of the hitspot.
                  Is there a secret option menu in Psyvariar 2? In Revision to get to it you had to press L1 + L2 + R1 + R2 + Start when the "Press start for options" was flashing. In that menu there is an option to display the hitspot for your ship and the enemies.

Oh well, I'll now go back to Revision until 2 comes out for the PS2.
                  I just hope the PS2 version has a revision equivalent so the wait isn't for nothing.

Comment

I'm loving this.

My personal highlight so far is *that* spider-mech. Stunning.

Comment

I find it hilarious that anyone could call this the best shooter ever It isn't, BUT, it's bloody good and I consider the first to be an over-rated piece of rubbish I really did NOT like Psyvariar and to be perfectly honest I half expected P2 to be in the sales forum tonight. Well it isn't.
                      The levels are still painfully/unforgivably short as before BUT Psyvariar finally has soul. Gameplay is both tight and fun at any level, it certainly looks the part, design work is much much better, the bosses are brilliant and the music is stunning. Colour me impressed!
                      If anyone else out there is passing this up because they didn't like the first - give it a try.

Comment

Okay, why is Psyvariar overated rubbish? Bearing in mind that the game was coded by one guy and possibly has some of the best shot patterns and consequent gameplay implentation ever seen in a vertical shoot-em-up (the buzz system is antagonistically inspired, whereas Radiant Silvergun's and Ikaruga's "harvesting" mechanic is pretty limited). Justify **** like that, I at least did.

Treasure also made that godawful PlayStation 2 version of Silpheed. Ugh.

Comment

Cacophanus why do you spend so much time in your posts about Psyvariar talking about Treasure? What have they got to do with it?

Also, the number of people involved in making a game should be completely independent of your quality assessment of said title.

Psyvariar is a great game (and I agree many of the shot patterns are fantastic), but IMO it doesnt have the depth, or artistic appeal of either RS or Ikaruga, not that is bears any relevance to this thread.

Comment

rjpageuk kinda covered it. Just my opinion mate. Thought it was worth stating for anyone else who might dismiss the sequel (not that they'd dare on this forum )
                            I'll keep it short - yes I was impressed by Psyv's shot patterns and score attack depth but the game is IMO far too short and otherwise bland and badly designed, only rewarding with a lot of effort. For my tastes Don/DoDonPachi offers the same benefits with much more style and finesse and at any level you want to take it to. But that was just an example. And who mentioned Treasure?
                            Also, I wouldn't put a game ahead of other classics just because it was developed by less people. I'm going purely on my opinion of what plays good.
                            Anyway, lets leave that now. This thread's about Psyvariar 2, and it rocks. 8)

Comment

My mention of Treasure's opae is a pre-emptive strike against the "me too" nonsense that erupted after the first Psyvariar was released (stuff like "it's so derivative, and clearly Ikaruga is better"). All this was undertaken via a "might is right" mentality that merely cemented their opinions via herds of people regurgitating the same thing rather than justifying why Psyvariar was derivative.

I also can't understand how anyone can say Psyvariar lacks depth? Just because it leaves the onus on the player to experiment is not a fault in design and if anything supports its arcade heritage to the hilt.

I, for one, have thoroughly blitzed Radiant Silvergun and it is an amazing shoot-em-up, but there is only one way to play the game. You beat it (all dogs etc.) and that's it. You can go back and reminisce, but you play it the same way each time. Many shooters do this, Psyvariar doesn't. The design is robust enough to allow the player to experiment and explore the capabilities of what they can do both physically and mentally.

The fact that it was coded by one guy is testament to the fact it took Treasure a whole army of coders (in comparison) to create Ikaruga and Radiant Silvergun, and both those games can only be played the way Treasure wanted. The versatility of Ewagano's mind is astounding really.

Comment

Working...
                              X