katamari damashii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

katamari damashii

just realised Dengeki DVD has playable demos (wondered why it wouldn't work in a DVD player^^*)
    anyway, it has demo level of katamari damashii.

the controls were different to what I thought as you use both sticks to control; took me a minute to realise that before I started rolling the 'lump'.
    basically, the left stick controls like his 'left half' and right his 'right'; therefore to push directly forward boths sticks are pressed up, and turning by just pushing the one side. You can 'jump' (180 turn as far as I can see) by L3+R3, and dash using combination of the 2 sticks in opposite direction (up and down) twice.

at the start it is only possible to roll up small objects (beans, sandals..), after certain size the screen does that blur effect to inform that you can begin rolling up bigger objects (melons, cabbage..). until eventually, that cat and dog u see can be rolled up too~!!

the goal is to roll up the 'lump' to a certain size; 1.5m (from 50cm) in this case.

The ousama (king) chara is probably comedy, as his text is all in katakana, coloured, and uses heart symbols^^ my Japanese is too limited to get what he means tho._.

from this level the time limit is *really* tight, so there it is not so relaxing.
    this is really fun and focused gameplay, altho there might not be that much variation. Without doubt it is to get right away~

.bikutaa

Thanks

Sounds like a very interesting game, though it could still be limited. From the videos I've seen it just appears to ooze charm, so any flaws in depth can be forgiven.

The controls, do they act a bit like a tank? One stick foward, other back to do quick turns etc? Very different to what I expected.

Comment

yep, u could almost say it's tank like in turning altho u lose momentum quickly so have to shift back to 2 sticks up and keep correcting; tho are always 'stuck' to the lump^^*

just *so* much fun, 1m 80 just messing around right now, it is quite relaxing and just keep smiling throughout. the railing got rolled up, and laughing boy and screaming woman^-^

.bikutaa

Comment

Sounds interesting, i'll have to look into it more

- Kamatari

Comment

I've been reading up some first impressions of this game elsewhere, and it sounds amazing. Kind of like how Jet Set Radio burst onto the scene all them years ago and was just so unlike anything else. Impossible to put down, impossible to hate.

Apparently the presentation and music is better than Mr Drill: Drill Land, which I find very hard to believe, but such a statement is enough to get me importing asap. I really shouldn't as money is tight, but damn...music better than Drill Land?

Comment

Ive been tempted too. The cover is just so damn cool

I'm sceptical about how long the fun will last however. I look forward to more impressions.

And if its anywhere as good as my beloved jet set radio I will buy no questions asked!

Comment

So many games and so few kidneys to sell.

Thanks for the info, looks and sounds good.
              I am seriosuly tempted to raise this on my list as the next purchase simply because of its wierdness, I feel like something refreshing.
              Then again, Siren on import is also calling out......

Having played it, do you think it has the kind of universal appeal that would lead to localisations (such as monkey ball), or is likely to remain in the land of the rising sun indefinetly?

Let us know when you find anything else.

Comment

Japanese PlayStation2 - lots of reasons to get one, but I love the machine because of the unusual games you get on the Platform - Fantavision with its twisted FMV, Dog of Bay, Kuri Kuri Mix to name a few.

Katamari Damacy is Namco's lastest release on PS2, and its certanly a departure from their recent schedule..

In this, er, you play as a green little L-shaped headed dude, who - for some typical Japanese reason - is in charge of controlling what begins as a ball through various levels. A big god type, er, dude, tells you about the level before hand (in Kanji, no less), and you begin a level.

As I said, you start by controlling a ball, and with the ball you have to roll over various objects on the ground, such as matchsticks, or chess pieces, or toy monkeys and spiders. You are given a couple of minutes to play in a level, and in that time, you have to have reached the required size. First of all you have to measure 10cm (I presume in diameter).

Now you can't just go and roll over a toy monkey with a drum to start off with, you have to start on the small stuff. So you gradually pick up bigger and bigger stuff. As you do this, the shape, size, and physics of the ball changes. For example, when you pick of a large stick of chewing gum or a large yellow spider-crab-thing, it doesn't make a smooth sphere any more, so your ball is not rolling smoothly.. Very cool. Some bits of each level aren't reachable either until you have grown in size so you can tackle curbs and ledges etc.

Control is like a tank. Its analog only, and to go forward you push both the L+R sticks forward, to turn you can either let L centre and keeping pushing R forward, or push L backwards fuly, and R forwards fully. You get the idea. You also have a like a turbo charge up feature, so you can roll through an area and grab loads of stuff. Its great fun, and after 20 mins or so the controls feel really great, and you are zipping around the level.

Graphics are nice and simple 3D, with bright colours and pretty basic textures, but the levels are large and there is loads going on - it looks very nice and the style is great.

Music - someone said its better than Mr Driller Drill Drill Land on GC and I'd have to agree - its very very cool indeed, and just makes you smile and get IN with the game - its awesome.

The game is very Japanese in style and weirdness, and I love it for it.. Proper game IMO, and its great to play and just very enjoayble so far. Levels are nice and varied, it has a 2 player split screen mode, and its nice and different. Good work, Namco.

Importability - I don't know any Kanji. I know VERY basic Katakana (like loading, saving, yes, no) and I have not come across any problems, but obviously the story is a mystery.. Not that it matters.

Oh and the cutscenes - you thought Japanese Fantavisions were weird? You're in for a treat here! More to come later..

Comment

Thanks for the impressions dc-arena. Sounds absolutely top-drawer.

I've just read GameCentral's superb review of Katamari Damashi, although apparently it mentioned there's no plan for a European release at this stage.

Comment

Where is this GameCentral, and how'd they review it so quickly?

Bah!

Comment

I believe you can find GameCentral on your television, by pressing the 'text' button. One of the old channels, number four I think.

And my copy shipped on the 16th. That's literally days ago!!

Comment

Yeah ta, just found it. 9/10 mmm.

Mine shipped yesterday morning, so hopefully it'll come for the weekend. Stupid me went for standing shipping rather than TNT though. Oh well.

Comment

I'm so happy Namco decided to make a new puzzle style game. I'm seriously tempted to get this. I have to finish something first though.

Comment

I'm loving this as well, its ace.

If anybody is looking for the soundtrack, yesasia have it up for pre-order:

not released till 19th May

Comment

Just seen some gameplay videos of this, and I am TOTALLY SOLD. Is ther ANY REASON why I shouldn't get this game? I think I'm going to have to hold back a bit until next month, because this month has been expensive.

Comment

Working...
                              X