AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!! X box live

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!! X box live

Ive had broad band fo ra rround six months now Problem free.

I run all my pc`s from a Linksys BEFSR41 router via my D-Link DSL-300G+ dsl modem.

Ok so I went out and bought an XBOX and live kit and live games after much pestering from my XBox owning friends.
    ft:
    I followed the instructions but the Xbox says it cannot connect.
    I tried it direct to the modem and still no joy.
    I have tried changing all the settings on the Xbox.

Ive even tried to give the XBox the IP address settings that are given to the modem when it completes its connnection.

I am using Gio Internet who say they are XBox compatible, but when I asked them to tell me what settings they used they did not respond.

Anyone out there got any Ideas ???

If I cant sort it I will be getting rid of it as the only reason I bought it was to play online games with my friends.

Have you set the all the settings to Automatic and tried connecting?

Comment

I had similar problems when I got the beta back in november (boast). After a phone call to the foreign chappies at tech support, I deduced that tech support knew bugger all and I'd have to do it the hard way. So, get the following info from your PC, and input it into your xbox live manual connection bit.

IP address
      Primary DNS
      Secondary DNS
      Subnet Mask
      Default Gateway
      MAC Address (also known as physical address)

if your running XP, go to (start), run, type in cmd<enter> then in the DOS prompt, type in ipconfig/all and it'll list all the info you need.

sorry if you know all that, don't mean to patronise.

Comment

What version of the firmware is running on your router as Microsft say that you need to be running at least v 1.42.6 to work with Live.

Comment

Thanks Guys but Ive already tried both of your sugestions with no results.

I too have found out that tech support know all about the things you dont need info on and not a sausage about the things you dont.

Im gonna try again fom scratch and let you know in a list what I have done e.t.c

Comment

It should work out of the box, with the auto config. Only problem you may have is the hosting of some games as there is a bug in the UPnP forwarding (hence the firmware upgrade).

Anyway, sounds like you're linking it up wrong - I hope you're using a patch cable to connect the XBox up to the router and not a cross-over. Once connected, you don't even need to go "live" to see that it is working as the XBox will grab an IP from the router; check the clients table and you'll see the MAC address from the "live" dialogs on the XBox. You can even see the little lights blinking away to themselves too, when working... bless

Comment

Ok im a network engineer so the cable prob is a dead ender.
              Any ways I checked that just to make sure with certified cables.
              Thanks for the ideas though. 8)

Info I have found out is that Gio Internet Services use PPPOA and the Xbox uses PPPOE as does most every provider.
              The two are not compatible.

I cant set up the Xbox to dial in itself as it cant do PPPOA, so setting the modem to dumb mode is no good This is the same problem I have with the router, there are a load of functions it can do that I cant use on it).

Looks like I may have to change provider.

Just want to check though... Is anyone using Gio Internet ???

They say they are X Box compatible, Im not so sure.

Their tech support makes Micro$oft`s look A1 Ive had no response from them at all and send three emails and two phone calls.

Any one looking to connect via them should seriously think about it.

They are good on price ?17.99 a month for 512k and no 12 month contract but thats not everything, you need a good tech support department. Id get better support from my local hairdressers and they know nothing about the X Box.

Comment

If your DSL provider uses PPPoA(TM), use a router which supports said protocol, such as the D-link 504. This will then provide the xbox with the ethernet connectivity it requires.

However, I don't believe this is the issue. If you're using the D-link DSL modem (which off the top of my head has 2 sockets, one to wire to the dsl filter (rj11) and one to connect to a nic/lan (rj45). The rj45 will also provide the ethernet connectivity you require (done this myself).

Looks like I may have to change provider.
                If you want PPPoE from the ISP itself, you'll either need to switch to Cable, or have business/BT fitted DSL. Most (if not all) the DSL providers outwith these offer DIY DSL, which tends to use PPPoATM.

Comment

I don't think your router can be causing the problem if you have linked the xb direct to the modem and still no joy... however... If you definitely want to rule it out (if you suspect that it doesn't support the protocol you require), you could always try configuring a Win2k server as a software router and see if that works. If so, then the router is having "issues".

Comment

You guys are right about the modem it has the RJ11 for the line and RJ45 for connecting to the lan/router or straight to your pc network card.

As far as I can tell when using network spy ware the X Box is seeing the router and the modem but not getting an IP address to work from, though the dhcp is offering it one...

Got a reply from Gio internet, I think Im the only person ever to get one Proved one thing only. The suport team all have their heads up there Butts ft: Sacrcastic and a complete dick sums him up.

Any ways apart from telling me stuff about the X Box I didnt know he did tell me it was a black games console. I was totally unaware of that...

Tried To set it up using my server sharing the connection and still no joy.

Begining to think it may be the X Box which is not working properly.

One of my friends is going to bring his X Box over to see if it can work the connection, that will hopefully rule that out.

Comment

A new thought just bought the DVD option pack for it and well check out my other thread at---

Do you think it may be related ??

Comment

Well the Xbox supports PPPoA fine so whoever told you it didn't is clearly talking rollocks!

I presume you've turned off any IP Filtering and Firewalls? Also is Port Forwarding turned on?

How is it connected exactly? You have a router/modem going to your ADSL line, the PC is in one port and the Xbox in another port?

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby
                          Well the Xbox supports PPPoA fine so whoever told you it didn't is clearly talking rollocks!
                          What? That clearly isn't true, otherwise you could wire it directly to a DIY ADSL install without the need for a) a PC, b) an ethernet modem or c) a router.

Comment

Well i dont know about direct or DIY installs because i have an engineer fit, but if the guy meant it wouldn't operate over a PPPoA service at all it's wrong.

Comment

I believe an engineer fitted DSL install provides you with rj45 (read ethernet) ports on the faceplate, as with ISDN. This isn't the case with DIY installs, so PPPoE connections are possible.

If your DSL provider uses PPPoA, you require any one of the 3 options I outlined above.

The assertion that the Xbox "does not support PPPoA" is correct, it requires an ethernet connection (PPPoE) which the above 3 methods provide.

Comment

Working...
                              X