Sabre Wulf GBA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sabre Wulf GBA

Did a quick search but couldn't find anything relevant so here's a thread for the impressive GBA version of Sabre Wulf. It came out in PAL land yesterday, not sure if either the US or Japan have confirmed dates yet.

The game starts with a quick retelling of what happened in the previous Sabre Wulf, released years ago on the old Spectrums. It unfolds that Dr. Doolittle Good (typical Rareware name ) has broken the Sabre Wulf free from the statue that was holding him captive.
    Upon his release the Wulf runs amok and starts stealing and causing havoc.

The game itself is a mixture of 2D platforming and a 3D world similar to that seen in Rare's other GBA game, Banjo Kazooie. You walk around in the 3D world interacting with characters and making the story unfold. On certain events the Sabre Wulf will break free and make a tunnel in the 3D world that leads you to the 2D sections.

In the 2D sections is where the game gains it's real interest. Rather than your standard Mario or Donkey Kong platformer it's more than just jumping on enemies heads etc. To get to the Wulf and recapture the stolen item you have to employ "creatures". These creatures have certain abilities that help you go further that can only be used limited times. One is like a bear and you bounce on his stomach to jump higher like a trampoline and another is a lizard like creature who sets his tail alight to destroy objects . There are more interesting creatures that do more outlandish stuff but half the fun is seeing them for the 1st time so I won't spoil them.
    Once you get to the Wulf you then have to make it back to the start of the level as fast as possible. If you're fast enough you'll get a gold medal, slower and it goes down to silver or bronze. Too slow and the Wulf will get you.

I quite like this game, the graphics are really nice and some of the ideas are quite impressive. The creatures work in a similar manner to Lemmings I thought, in the way they have certain abilities that have to be used at key points and can only be used a set number of times. There are lots of things to collect and the speed element at the end of the level in escaping the Wulf has already made me replay a few levels to get a better time.
    I'm still only a small way into it but I'm enjoying it so far.

Yeah I only noticed this was out yesterday during the week. Will look to find it during next week for procurement...
    Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Pretty good IMHO.

Can't skip the chatting bits by pressing START though.

As mentioned, it seems more puzzle based which I am not really too sure about. Having to restart a level because I used the bear in the wrong place was a pain.

Comment

Hrm. Was thinking about getting this (along with an SP) but yeah the first thing I thought about when I heard about the Lemmings-creature thing was what happens if you use them in the wrong places, and according the post above, it sounds like a pretty bad design flaw. :/

Still, we'll see eh?

Comment

Hmm, the whole placing a creature in the wrong place thing didnt bother me, as the levels arent exactly massive. Sure, it's happened to me, but not more than once per level :P

You do get upto 5 of each creatures, with the exception of the a few later ones. This is the best original GBA platformer to date, i love the clever blend of puzzle and platformer, and those challenges, they're just amazing!

An amazing title from Rare. I love it.

Comment

Nothing like the original then? Does he make the same clacky-clacky noise when he runs?!?

Comment

Working...
            X