An old game, a new addiction...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An old game, a new addiction...

I was sat in my flat last week with 2 of my flatmates. One Canadian and one american and they were both playing a game i hadn't played before for the snes (on an emulator). Anyway i tried asking them what it was but i got no response due to the fact that their eyes were fixed firmly on the tv and they seemed locked in a head-to-head game. After i cry of disbelief fromthe American (Spencer), Gabe (Canadian) turns around replies "Tetris Attack". They try to explain the slightly complicated way that you play (okay not complicated but it hurt my head at the time) and i've now had a 3 lesson break from teaching in my school and i can't stop playing this game. Bright colours, fast puzzle solving, little Yoshi and mario characters. Anyway i don't even know why i wrote this thread i'm just taking a rest from playing because it got the the stage where i was shouting in disgust when i got beaten by the computer and allthe students in the library would look at me with that look of "What the hell is he doing..."

*oh and if someone would be kind enough can they host this for me as my avatar*

Yep, it's a fantastic game, better than Tetris IMO, and one of my all-time favourites. I thought I was goood getting 99,000 on it once, and about 3,000 in time trial mode; then I discovered a site where people were getting about 10,000 in time trial, and hundreds of thousands in endless mode.

But it *is* a classic, and I'm not surprised you were addicted to it. I must get myself a copy for the GBA SP...

Comment

I love it when you're introduced to an old game and then love it and its usually puzzle games! I actually never got into Tetris attack (to fiddly for me) but I got the snes rom of dr mario because I'd heard of it and me and my sister were instantly hooked on multiplayer for about three weeks. I had the music stuck in my head for about three months.

Hmm I'm gonna go and investigate some more puzzle games I didn't really play back in the day....

Comment

This version for the gba which you speak of has now finally comfirmed a long running mental puzzle...

do i buy a gba sp... the answer.... GOD YES.

If anything will make a 13hr flight home from hong kong in june and the 13hr flight back in september go faster then Tetris Attack is it!

Huzzah!

Comment

I got this for the original Gameboy apon release all those years ago Its probably one of my favourite puzzle games ever up there in my Top 3 alongside Magical Drop 2 and Wario's Woods. Just need to own the SNES and N64 variants for that overwhelming sense of completion. [Panel De Pon, Tetris Attack and Pokemon Puzzle League]

Comment

Man, i had the same problem this week. For the first time in my life i am enjoying puzzle games, i have started to play Dr Robotniks Mean Bean Machine and Puzzle Bobble/Bust a Move!!! I cant seem to stop (i think the fact i am completely sh*te helps, cos i need to improve) I don't know wether my game tastes are changing ( I dont seem to have time for long RPG's )or wether i am becoming an old fart! also enjoying Super star Baseball but thats another story. 8)

Comment

Originally posted by jezzace
              dr mario... I had the music stuck in my head for about three months.
              Ha ha. It's crazy, isn't it? I remember a couple of the tunes like I heard them today, and I haven't played the damn game for years. It's a great two-player puzzler.

Originally posted by Bobontheway
              do i buy a gba sp... the answer.... GOD YES.
              If anything will make a 13hr flight home from hong kong in june and the 13hr flight back in september go faster then Tetris Attack is it!
              Result! What a great excuse for buying a GBA SP. Not only that, but you'll get it ?20 cheaper in HK...

Originally posted by Blu3Flame
              Just need to own the SNES and N64 variants for that overwhelming sense of completion. [Panel De Pon, Tetris Attack and Pokemon Puzzle League]
              I think Pokemon Puzzle League ranks alongside Tetris Attack (well, they're the same game at heart after all); but TA just shades it for me because of the characters -- I never could get along with those Pokemon trainers in PPL making comments to each other. It all got a bit repetitive. That said, PPL has a fantastic range of options and a bloody difficult 3D mode, and sits proudly alongside TA on my shelf.

Originally posted by Tokyochojin
              i have started to play Dr Robotniks Mean Bean Machine and Puzzle Bobble/Bust a Move!!!
              Heh. This is easily my favourite thread on this board so far. Dr Robotnik is another ace game, a two-player classic: have you tried Puyo Pop Fever yet? I'm still waiting for my copy to come from Play, so I can find out whether the Fever mode is all it's cracked up to be...

Comment

can anyone tell me what puyo puyo game was released on the DC? might invest if anyone has anything good to say on the title

Comment

wohoo just completed medium difficulty so now on to hard. I have no lessons to teach today (it's 10:41am at the moment and i finish at 4, lotsofplay time ahead of me) so i shall beat this game on Hard and then attempt the Super Hard difficulty that my flatmate Gabe is currently attempting.

Oh and can anyone recommend a good place for my to get my avatar uploaded?

Edit: Damn yo0u stage 9, my newcomer tetris attack skills are no match for Hookbill the Koopa *que overly dramatic music*. The library staff are finding it amusing at how many times i almost win and then lose (occasionally because they poke me).

Comment

Originally posted by tokyochojin
                    can anyone tell me what puyo puyo game was released on the DC? might invest if anyone has anything good to say on the title
                    Puyo Puyo 4
                    Puyo Puyo Fever
                    ^^ Released on the Dreamcast

Comment

Yes Tetris Attack is a classic. I remember getting the Game Boy version when it first came out. Brilliant stuff although as puzzle games go it was pretty easy.

As regards Puyo Puyo on the DC, Puyo Puyo 4 is well worth picking up for the sheer wealth of modes available and the brilliant 4 player mode. Still IMO both Sega Tetris and Puzzle Fighter are the best DC puzzlers.

Comment

Originally posted by Blu3Flame
                        Originally posted by tokyochojin
                        Puyo Puyo 4
                        Puyo Puyo Fever
                        ^^ Released on the Dreamcast
                        There's a third Puyo game on the DC. It's a shoddy dance game and is best avoided.

Jay

Comment

Oh god no!
                          My flatmate has just moved back to america an taken with him.... the pc with Tetris attack on it. This means i can only play it in my school which is just not that fun because i can't hear the music and i have to keep moving my chair to let students past. Can't afford to buy a gba yet either since i've just paid for my beijing trip, need new clothes and i'm in desperate need of a haircut.

Comment

Working...
                          X