Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow (Multiplayer online)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow (Multiplayer online)

Just picked this up from my local Currys (turns out they have had it in and selling it for two days).

Hardly touched the Single player game to be honest, just dived straight in to Multiplayer:

Having picked the multiplayer option I chose to play through the two awful training missions, in which confusion seemed to be the main goals for the developers. I was a little nervous to say the least about what was in-store when i went online.

There seem to be plenty of games to choose from and 3 different modes. I went for the first in the list which was the Neutralisation mode. Here the "simple" objective is for the spy's to locate and neutralise containers.

It took a few turns just to get to grips with roughly what the hell you do, where the targets are etc. There seem to be a huge number of moves available (at least as a spy) but in the heat of the game I haven't had the time (or bottle) to try them all out.

I was surprised by just how much you really must rely on stealth. The mercs can easily kill you with a few of shots but its fairly tricky for them to get a chance. The spys move quickly once they know you are on to them and hitting them before they disappear is tricky. If you lose sight of them for a split second they are gone. If you communicate properly with your team mate you can have a great game of cat and mouse operating.

You definetely need to play through the maps a few times just to get a grip on where entrances and exits to the varying sectors are, where you can besy operate (within shadows etc) and where you will simply need to put the gun away and peg it!

Lag seems non-existent so far. There is a graphic to show connection quality when choosing a game, but working out quite what it is meant to represent is an art in itself.

Overall i am very impressed so far. I looked forward to this game but was slightly doubtful that it would be what I hoped...so far so good.

Is it region free?

Comment

Originally posted by Destrukticor
      Is it region free?
      Don't know as I only have a PAL XBox.

Having played the game a bit more a few things strike me:

- Communication is vital. A few games I have played people have hardly spoken. You can see your team mate on your radar only if you are fairly close, otherwise they could be anywhere. On some maps you really need to work together.

- Map size. Some maps are fairly big and it can take a while to work out where an alarm has been activated. You really need to learn the maps inside out to be able to effectively take on the opponents.

There seems to be a horrible crash that has occured a few times...to other players too. It has only ever happened to me in the lobbies. My xbox totally freezes and I need to reset to solve it...In game so far is still totally lag free.

Comment

the lockup bug only happens in optimatches - and Ubisoft are already rectifying the problem (should be a update for it sometime this weekend)

just had a nice little game with g-wings - both of us were spies and there was only one mech. g-wings kept him busy by hanging from a pipe and taking shots at him whilst i dropped down into the shadows and defused the bomb. then i broke his neck (guy wasn't that clever as a mech since he was running round like a mad ****)

some tips for peeps to get going with - mechs eyes adjust to the darkness better if you head slowly into darkened rooms or chill out (stand still) in the darkness for a few seconds. communication is very much the key to this game, tell each other what you are doing and divide and conquer. learning the maps is a must - you need to know the quickest routes to the nd133 and know exactly where each one is located

Comment

Camps

Just stayed on for another and the guy went crazy...started jumping in the air throwing granades. Trying to get me as I hung upside down. Killed himself three times

Thanks for the tip on the Optimatch bug.

One other tip for everyone...be careful when you drop off ledges, pipes etc, it's VERY easy to knock a team mate unconcious

Comment

indeed it is

when i had him in an headlock (before snapping his neck) i called him a chump - probably what sent him over the edge for the next game (press white button when you have someone in an headlock and you (the spy) can taunt them in their ear)

i have got too adjusted to using the light meter in the single player game - with it not being present in the MP its giving me the ****ters when i am in what i presume to be broad daylight when in reality i am hidden in the depths of blackness, that guy ran past me 3 or 4 times before i got the chance to snap up his neck

Comment

Does anyone know when the ?60 Live Pack is due out?

Comment

Originally posted by camps
                when i had him in an headlock (before snapping his neck) i called him a chump - probably what sent him over the edge for the next game (press white button when you have someone in an headlock and you (the spy) can taunt them in their ear)

I am SO getting Live just for this.

Comment

IT'S REGION FREE!!!!!1111!!!

for those that wanted to know - just tried the PAL one on an ntsc xbox - booted up fine and dandy

Comment

Camps - or anyone else - do you know if the PAL version had 480p ripped out or will it work in prog scan on an NTSC box? Bit of a big ask I guess but hey

Comment

Originally posted by camps
                      IT'S REGION FREE!!!!!1111!!!

for those that wanted to know - just tried the PAL one on an ntsc xbox - booted up fine and dandy
                      Thought so, good ol Ubi Soft Sigh of relief, i was risking haveng to wait another week if it was not region free. You dont know how happy i am

I'll be on tomorow snaping all your necks Like a disabled chicken that cant lay eggs. Your all mine

Comment

Originally posted by evilmatt
                        Camps - or anyone else - do you know if the PAL version had 480p ripped out or will it work in prog scan on an NTSC box? Bit of a big ask I guess but hey
                        All my PAL games run in 480p on my chipped Xbox with the video mode set to NTSC.

Comment

Is it widescreen?!

Seeing as its Ubi Soft I expect not ft:

Comment

just had a monster session with TommyG, Soi, MrDark123 and R3d D3VIL (mr dark left and red devil joined)

needless to say this game is ideal as a 2 v 2 - the levels are big but not too big that you don't have time to get from one side to the other when your alarms go off.

probably easier at the mo to be a merc - though its much more fun to be a spy (headlock surely is the online move of the moment)

not gotten used to all the levels yet - i have 2 sort of 'down' but the others are still 'headless chicken' mode - the easiest level is Cinema, but its also damn fine to play. in fact all the levels are good but i think the hospital one is a bit too big (might be better as a 3 mercs vs 1 spy level)

communication is very much the key - either between your team mates or stealing your opponents coms (spy bullet or spy trap (hold white button down on both to eaves drop) - one classic moment was when i was playing against tommy and soi and i shot tommy with a spy bullet, i then spent the next few minutes pissing my sides as i heard him discussing how i was shooting from somewhere

final match we had feature myself and tommy as mercs - we laid a few spy traps in good places - and could respond almost immediately to any signs of intrusion. our last kill (which won the match) was tommy chasing the spy into where i was waiting with a grenade ... team work at its finest

tomorrow night is when this one should really pick up - the next few days will be strictly training but after that expect some hard fought battles to take place

Comment

Beat me to it Camps...

For a first go that was awesome. Playing a Merc is like being a baddie in Metal Gear Solid, only far cooler. Not having played SC before, I'm finding being a Merc quite a bit easier as it plays quite like a conventional FPS -but with better gadgets.

The game plays completely differently as a Spy, as not only is the view changed but so does your path around the levels. The Mercs can open most doors just by walking towards them, while a Spy cannot open some doors at all. Spies can only open some doors, and the ones they can open have to be hacked, which takes a couple of seconds and leaves you vulnerable. To balance this a Spy can use a host of tunnels and hang pipes than the Mercs cannot use. This means that from a complete novice's point of view playing as a Spy is harder, as it requires a more detailed knowledge of the map ?particularly as the tunnels are often hidden in the shadows.

The game has serious potential, but it is too early to judge it.

Comment

Working...
                              X