Pokemon Colosseum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pokemon Colosseum

Got this earlier today from VGP and have played it for about an hour or so and noticed no one else has put it up on here so will put a few early impressions up.

Those expecting a full blown 3D pokemon RPG may be dissapointed. It does have a story mode, it is imo damn fun too from what I've played so far, however from what I've seen, it appears the free roaming of fields, forests etc hunting for wild pokemon is no where to be seen. The game starts with you breaking into Team SNATCHUM's secret base, where you steal a machine which turns pokeballs into snag balls.

Rather than aquiring pokemon by hunting for them, you steal them from other trainers. I don't want to go too deep into it but there are pokemon with a black aura, these are the ones who have been the target so far I won't say anymore on it as it gives away a bit of the plot which I must say I've found intriguing, it is nice to see it's not just the same old start with nothing, then get pokemon, then get badges, the developers have really tried to make this different.

However sadly as I said, this has led to the loss of the open fields, so far it's just been travelling from towns and other selected areas with just cut scenes of you on a futuristic bike. The battle engine is solid, and is pretty much just the sapphire and ruby battle engines with some nice solid 3D graphics, and I do like camera shake as it pans around the battle. The graphics overall aren't stunning, they're perfectly functional though and the music ranges from what you'd expect from, to some gorgeous orchestral stuff.

All in all been good stuff so far and as soon as I get the TV back I'm gonna plough on though I must note, so far there has been no challenge in the battles at all, it's been simply keep telling your pokemon to attack, though now the scene has been set, I'm sure that'll start to change. I wudn't recommend getting the bonus disc tho, (unless u get it free) as all it has on it are 2 trailers, one for the game, one for a new DVD, and a pokemon to download to the GBA version.

The bonus disc also has a patch for the bug that prevents berries from growing after a certain time period, which might be useful for people playing the game long-term, but other than that, unless you're desperate to get your hands on Jirachi it's not worth having.

Has anyone been able to get a European GBA cart to talk to the US version of Collosseum? It worked fine on the bonus disc (for both the berry fix and the extra Pokemon) but the full game seems to be having problems connecting to the GBA - I just hope I'm not going to have to buy (and play) a US copy of Pokemon Ruby to get my own Pokemon into the system...

Comment

I'm afraid I can't get any solid evidence for you (my Ruby is US, while my Sapphire is AUS) however according to Planetgamecube not even the bonus disc worked with the PAL copies of R/S, so I wouldn't expect the US Colloseum game to be compatible with UK carts either.
      As for my thoughts on the game, I haven't played for long but so far I basically echo what Smeghead said, it's a solid, enjoyable and simple RPG that gets the job done and the Colloseum mode is the same as the Stadium games (minus the gym leader tower and (sadly) the GB tower, so there's no speedy leveling up a far as I know ).

Comment

Well, I can guarantee that the UK Sapphire works with the US bonus disc, because that's how I got my Jirachi.

Comment

Got this a few days ago from Tronix and I'm not sure what to make of it.

Whilst the RPG mode is fun it feels too simplistic, perhaps even pointless. The original point of Pokemon to me was traveling across the land to hunt down rare Pokemon and train them up. Now you can't travel between cities and explore as it's all done by a cut scene of a space age motor bike. This means you don't get Pokemon in the normal way. How it works now, as touched upon by Smeghead earlier, is that certain Shadow Pokemon are identified as such during a trainer battle. Said Pokemon are then snagged (read stolen) from the opposition trainer, something that wasn't possible in the other games. Because these Shadow Pokemon have been treated badly you have to make them love you, doing so allow them full access to their moves and the ability to evolve.
          It all feels "planned" to when you obtain new Pokemon, I preferred the spontaneousness of the GB versions, where to an extent, you could collect Pokemon how and when you wanted.

The other mode is essentially the same as the N64 version, only slimmed down. What I miss the most, besides the ability to play the GBA version on the TV via the transfer pak, is being able to have full access to my GBA Pokemon. How it works is you connect the GBA to the Cube, but, and it seems the only way to do it, you can only transfer 6 Pokemon across, the ones that are in your GBA squad at that moment. These 6 are then registered so they can be used in the Colosseum tournaments. However, say you accidently put a level 51 'Mon in with the rest being level 50, they can't enter the level 50 tournament. To resolve this you have to turn off and disconnect the GBA, sort out the Pokemon so that they are all the same level and then reconnect, etc. Whilst it's nothing major it is a unnecessary over sight that you can't just rectify the error on the Cube, you have to turn off and start again.

Graphically it's solid with some nice effects, but nothing special.

This may all seem fairly negative, but it's not intended. Like I said the game is fun, it's just not what I was hoping for. Admittedly I'm still only early in, it just seems a bit of a missed opportunity.

Comment

I wonder if we'll see more to the game when Fire Red and Leaf Green are linked to it?...

Comment

maybe they're saving the exploring for N5 with (hopefully ) Pokemon Online

Comment

Finally got things sorted - seems like the previous failure was just down to a faulty connection somewhere. The game works fine with the UK release of Pokemon Sapphire (and presumably Ruby) - I managed to transfer a couple of teams into the GC game without any problems.

That said, the level requirements for most of the events are a little draconian, which was a disappointment. Seems like PC is neither a great Pokemon RPG, nor a great stadium-style game - I'd have preferred to see it excel at one of these rather than make a reasonable attempt at both.

Comment

Judging by this it seems the over sights touched upon in here are intentional. Seems that if you want some of the modes from the previous stadium's back then you have to pay extra for it.

ft:

Comment

This game just arrived at my house! It seems pretty cool!

Could someone lend me the bonus disc so I can unlock that pokemon on my cart? DVDBO neglected to send me the disc to I'm ****ed!

Comment

I can't believe they changed it to Team Snatchum! Team Snatch was the best name ever

Comment

Ok then, first impressions.

After putting the game in my console I was disappointed! I only touched on the Colosseum mode, but it wasn't anything special. I'm annoyed that they have tiers of levels. I want to battle with my pokemon, but they're all between lvl 43 and lvl99 including the ones I'm leveling up. I've got to go in the lvl 100 battle and half my characters die quick and the others have to take the brunt! It's annoying! my lvl 75 chars are too weak to battle in the lvl 100 arena but too strong for the lvl 50. The system should be malleable. There should be a level of randomness. Maybe settings for levels between 75 and 100 or summit!

The RPG mode is quite good. First complaint, they are all double battles. Those of us who think that the dual battles are a novelty and one on one are the way to go are disadvantaged.

There are less options. The battle mode is set, you can't change it to switch which totally changes my battle style!

The shadow pokemon thing is just annoying. Yeah it's a little different, but ultimately it's crap. Give me the tried and tested wandering though grass any day!

The save system is different. Because you've got to save at PCs now, and the way that you catch pokemon the style of the game seems to have shifted somewhat! It's very annoying! You can't save before specific battles and you often have to treck - very un-pokemon-like!

It seems harder to get pokemon down to little health. Now it's easy to kill them... well becuase there are no wild pokemon you don't level up like you normally would, it's all with trainers so it's generally harder, but it's hard to get them down to a wafer of energy, and becuase there are no wild pokemon you have to re-set or go back at a later date to get the shadow pokemon! ARGH!

The story is inconsistent. These people are giving shadow pokemon to thier employees, but when I battled them, almost non of them had shadow pokemon. And this bloke stole the majors pokemon so he couldn't defend the town from people who were taking advantage of the colosseum there. So I rescue his pokemon so he can defend the town. The after I give it back to him, he gives it to me to help me in my journey! How the hell is he gonna defend the town if I've got his pokemon! FFS, get it straight!

The game seems really fragmented and inconsistent becuase of the animations. Some of the animations are quite good, but for example, when a pokemon gets hit, the pokemon reacts the the screen changes the pokemon has magically moves then the clip for fainting plays and the pokemon goes. The game feels too static, not flowing, it separates you from a game that normally feels really real!

I've got more complaints, but generally, it's quite fun!

Comment

*eagerly awaits crispins comments on a pokemon game*

I'm tempted but i just want to verify, will my uk pokemon cart connect to a usa copy on my q?

Comment

Does anyone know if the US versions works on a PAL GC with freeloader?

Comment

It should work fine. It is fine loading on a JPN console with freeloader. I see no reason why not on a PAL one!

Comment

Working...
                              X