Laptop advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop advice

Some time this year, and through next year, I will be spending a considerable amount of time away from home working in Scotland, Devon, Norfolk, and Redhill.

Once the novelty of raiding mini bars has worn off, I'll need alternate entertainment. I have a company Laptop, but it's just a basic machine capable of running word processors and databases only.

I was thinking of getting a machine that caould provide DVD entertainment, run my Magic Engine (PC Engine) emulator and ZSnes (SNES) emulator, as well as number crunch and word process.

I don't want to spend too much (max probably ?750). I was considering a Patriot 2450 Laptop for ?699 from Dixons, but I couldn't post the specs as it's now been removed from their website, but it's got similar specs to the Packard Bell IGO4450 (specs listed below), however the Patriot has a Pentium4 running at 2.5GHz! Both the machines are the same price, and there's a Patriot available at a shop near to me - however it's a display model (with all that that entails).

What I'd like to know, ('cos I ain't that technically-minded), is whether both machines are capable of doing what I want. BTW - the Packard Bell comes with more bundled software than the Patriot which doesn't include the Office Suite.

PACKARD BELL IGO4450
    Features
    — Intel Celeron 1.5GHz
    — 128Mb RAM
    — DVD Drive
    — 20Gb hard drive
    — 14.1" TFT display
    — Microsoft Windows XP home Edition
    — 56k modem
    — Microsoft WorkSuite 2002
    — Weight 3kg
    — 4 x USB ports
    Specification
    Processor speed 1500 mhz
    RAM Memory 128 mb
    Screen size 14.1 inches
    Screen quality XGA TFT
    Battery life (up to) 2.5 hours
    Sound Integrated 3D Stereo
    Modem
    No of USB connections 4
    Touchpad mouse
    Graphics type S3 Savage4
    Lan Interface Not Specified
    Battery Type Li-ION High Capacity
    Graphics card memory 32 mb
    Diskette Drive Type Optional
    Operating system Windows XP Home

Slightly longer post than normal, sorry.

Thanks for looking (and hopefully giving your thoughts).

that'll do what yopu have said you want it to do. Easily.
    But may it not be cheaper to get a nice console and move it around? GC is pretty prtable. And you could fit a psone in your pockets! If you are going where there are mini-bars, will they not also have a telly?

Comment

I condidered that Saif, but I like to travel light so it would make sense to combine everything into one unit (I'd still have to take a laptop with me as I have to write reports in the Hotel after I've finished on a site visit).

I had also been considering buying a PC Engine to play Devils Crash etc., so buying a Laptop that could combine all would make more financial sense (even more given that I could run Snes games as well). The option of being able to rent a DVD from a local shop rather than watch some pap on telly is also more attractive.

Comment

Id say go for the patriot. In the long run the P4 would be a better choice rather than the office suite which can be gotten for next to nothing (literally )

As long as you know where to look

Comment

Originally posted by TEZBEK
          Id say go for the patriot. In the long run the P4 would be a better choice rather than the office suite which can be gotten for next to nothing (literally )

I thought that XP had been designed to look out for naughties?

Comment

Are you travelling by car? if so you could consider building a shuttle PC they are pretty light and portable, and will be far more powerful than a lap top for that price, you could go with a cheap 15" lcd and it would be pretty mobile.

I just built one and I'm fairly pleased with it.

yo can get bags to transport them if you want

Comment

Sandman, bearing in mind what you wanna use it for, try and get one with a TV out. That way you can play your DVDs and games on the hotel room telly. Which may be larger (and definitely less odd colour changing than a TFT).

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
                Originally posted by TEZBEK

I thought that XP had been designed to look out for naughties?
                tee hee hee

Comment

Cheers Nick - nice suggestion but that still looks a little bulky to me - I like the nice, slim, sleek, sexy lines of the modern laptops (or notebooks as they seem to like being called)

Nice thought Saif, I think that the PBell has TV out - could be that I'll go for that one - just need to check out what additional software comes with it, then I've got to work really hard to convince myself that I really do deserve to buy myself one

Comment

Some notepads have pc processors in them, which are cheaper than the specially designed notepad procesors.

My old man bough a notepad a couple of months ago, and despite what Intel say (they dont recommend it) There has been no probems with the 2.4ghz pc processor that is fitted inside of it

May help explaining the big differenc in price on some of the notepads.

Comment

One point to bear in mind. The lesser branded laptops will have less support in the future. What I mean by this is, say you (foolishly) opt, like myself, for a rebadged taiwanese laptop (in my case AJP) instead of that nice dell which cost a couple of hundred more for the same spec, in a couple of years you're more than likely to be stuffed for spare parts etc.

And laptops don't half need em. My battery is now b0rked. ?70 for a new one from AJP. Do you think I can find a spare, anywhere at all on the net? Can I arse.

Conversely, there is a thriving 2nd hand/spares Dell, Compaq, HP etc market.

If you, or anyone, buys a laptop... think long term, otherwise you'll be kicking yourself.

Comment

Working...
                      X