IK+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IK+

I dusted off my trusty old Commodore 64 over Easter and dug this out. Ive started this thread because 17 years after its inception, IK+ is still as fresh as the day it was released.

It's aged well, losing none of its original charm. It still even looks and sounds great.

The idea behind it is pure; three karate fighters scrap it out for points. No combos, no special attacks, just a handful of deadly moves intuitively mapped to an eight-way joystick (imagine trying to play this game with a controller... ).

The best thing about the game is its immense sense of fun; two human players and a computer battling it out makes for some hilarious pugilism. It's also a game anyone can pick up and play by mere virtue of its simplicity. And who can forget the excellent ball-bouncing sub-game (and the bomb disposal game on the 16-bit versions...)?

Add to that the colourful and busy backgrounds, the excellent music and sound effects (that headbutt sounds every bit as painful as it looks) and you have a true, all-time classic. I'd say this is probably one of the best one on one(!) beat 'em ups ever created.

Anone else have any fond memories of this?

I adored IK+ on the Amiga. Loved it! Mad, insane, crazy action. Sort of like a 2D Powerstone with 3 fighters instead of 4. Excellent humour and manic sub-games. Brilliant LOUD Bruce Lee samples, completely OTT smacking noises.

Difficulty seemed a bit random though - you could get to 6th Dan black belt one go, and get pwned in the first round for the next half hour.

Good version on GBA.

Comment

I've been promising myself I will secure an interview with Archer Maclean at some point, and this naturally will be one of the main points of it because it is stil such a classic. Good reason why it's in my top 10 C64 games. Indeed Archer is the only person to get more than one title in the list (the others being Sensible Software, Stephen Ruddy, Paul Woakes, Andrew Braybrook, Denis Caswell, Julian Gollop, Apex Software and Geoff Crammond).

It still r0x0rz your b0x0rz

Even better is the hack one group did to enable 3 human players (via the 4 player adapters that are out) to participate at once. That is something to experience indeed... let's hunt a piccy...

Might just be able to see my C64 setup @ BIT Live 5 there with 3 joysticks by it due to the smart move of bringing my 4 player adapter along...
      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

I was a bit of a latecomer to this on the Amiga. A very enjoyable game with a great sense of humour to back it up (who didn't try pressing "T" or typing in rude words during the game ). I wish I'd discovered it a couple of years earlier.

Comment

A friend of mine ha this on the psx. jus thought id tell yah incase yah didnt know. In future you can save yah self from etting up yah old machines and play it on a current gen one ala ps2?

Comment

The Amiga version is a true classic. Its ones of the only games that enticed my mates away from their NES. I love the everything about it, the graphics will never lose their charm and the soundtrack is so catchy it just wont get out of my head.

Who can forget the cheat where the opponents trousers dropped.

Great box

Comment

remember this and loved it tho i do remember being more found at the time of THE WAY OF THE EXPLODING FIST game (not the ****ty sequal)

IK+ ruled as did the fist IK game

I also loved The Last Ninja series and also BRUCE LEE, the game!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chadruharazzeb
                I adored IK+ on the Amiga. Loved it!
                Good version on GBA.
                It's on GBA?!? I need this! Where?

Comment

The reviews for IK+ on the PS1 were awful I might try and pick it up and see.

I first played in on the 64 and it was a cracking game

I own it on my Amiga the first thing you have to do is stick it on turbo mode, quality game.

Comment

"It's on GBA?!? I need this! Where?"

there is two versions right?

International Karate Advance
                    IK+

IK+ rocks on GBA too. Pretty much identical to the amiga version.

Comment

People didn't seem to go for either GBA versions, the GBC version got better marks and I prefer that (it was also done by the Rowlands Bros; Creatures, Mayhem in Monsterland etc).
                      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Man I don't really like the GBC version. I know that it has to deal with the limitations of the hardware and the bonus games are excellent fun, but the fighting just feels wrong imo, partly due to the revised scoring system.

Not a patch on the original.

Comment

IK+ .......... loved it. Remember the sound when you kick 'm in the nuts?(the sample from enter the dragon), noone forgets that.

Comment

Originally posted by RuBiQ
                            remember this and loved it tho i do remember being more found at the time of THE WAY OF THE EXPLODING FIST game (not the ****ty sequal)

IK+ ruled as did the fist IK game

I also loved The Last Ninja series and also BRUCE LEE, the game!!
                            That Bruce Lee game was amazing, I found a PC remake of the C64 version and was nearly reduced to tears!

Can't say I ever tried IK+, i couldn't save up my pocket money enough, and no-one I knew had it.

Comment

I had the Bruce Lee gaem on the Spectrum 48k, it ruled, easily my most played game.

Comment

Working...
                              X