Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Initial D - Another Stage (GBA)

Hi all,
    Just got this game. For those of you who don't know basically it's basically a decision making game. You start working at the ESSO garage in Akina (Gunma Prefecture) alongside Takumi, Itsuki and the others. When you start you name your character and choose a car (either AE86, FD3S or the other main cars in the series S14 etc).
    You talk to the people at the garage and have to race people from the series. The difference is you dont control the race. To begin you set your RPM to start off. Then at every straightway you control the car to allow blocking / good positioning. Finally in the corners you select a series of options e.g. how hard to brake, when to brake and type of cornering etc. This is followed by animations showing how you have done. With good positioning and choices you can even gutter-run etc.
    During the race you have 3 stats: Spirit - Racer spirit
    Brakes - Brake efficency
    Tyres - Grip
    These start at max (100) and with every corner etc get lower with the exception of spirit which when you do something well goes up.
    During the game you earn points so you can level up and become a better driver and also other points that are like money, in that they allow you to upgrade your car. Also once you race someone you generally get their phone number so you can challenge them and they can challange you.
    Apparently it is possible to Unlock Ryosuke and Bunta, whether its just their Cars (FC3S, GCV8) or actually them as playable characters I can't say as of yet.
    The game itself seems like an innovative idea and plays well. The upgrading of a car is simple enough, choose the part you want to upgrade e.g. Engine and pay the points so it is not as complex as Gran Turismo etc (thank god!). The only drawback with this game is that it's obviously all in Japanese which makes life rather difficult to make your choices especially in the short time (usually 3-4 Seconds) that you have. Still i'm enjoying it.
    If anyone else has this and wants to pass their comments feel free, also if someone could elaborate on the usual choices asked it would be nice. Heres hoping for a U.S release.

Thanks,

Luke.

yeah found this online a week or so ago, only had a quick go, got very annoying not actually knowing what i was doing :P

so yes a US release would be nice, but then tokyo pop would change all the names and attempt to add rap music ?_?

Comment

Interesting.

I've considered picking this up a few times in the past but have either forgotten or had something else to spend the money on instead.

I take it with the time limits imposed on your decisions, its hard to work out exactly what you're doing even if you can read a little Japanese?

I'm still tempted though, even if its for no other reason that having it has an Initial D collectable.

Comment

Me too.

I thought about picking this up a while back, but the whole decision making thing and heavy Japanese text stopped me.

Has anyone picked up the collectible card game yet?

Also I believe that stage 4 is now airing in Japan.

Comment

I got a few of the cards thrown in with the Tokyopop Initial D DVDs.

Infact i think its Disc 3 that has an introduction to playing the game from some American bloke who works for Tokyopop...personally i think it looks a load of old ****, but then again i could never see the attraction of Pokemon or Yu Gi Oh cards either...Maybe i'm the wrong side of 30!

Comment

Hi again,

Now been playin a while... the text isn't that hard to get around. The story in itself is almost obvious without the text although it helps.
            Upgrading the car and the menu system is easy as pie.
            The choices during race at first seem daunting however there are only a limited number of choices which make things easier and can be memorised with no trouble (took me bout 20 mins).

Theres a translation of the techniques list and indeed the menu systems.
            Go to http://www.gamefaqs.com
            Then go to the message board.
            Follow the link and download, its in HTML format so its got the pics and everything.

This game is really fun and addictive when you get into it. Only thing I have found is it is a little short, and will only take around 5 - 8 hours to clock. Still theres battle and link up mode.

Also I unlocked Ryosuke (keep challenging Keisuke and winning). However I have still yet to see Bunta and i've clocked it... maybe unlockable but no one seems to know how... I'm thinking it might have been someones idea of a joke to say he was in it...

If you want a challenging strategy race game and like initial d get this!

Luke.

Comment

couldnt find a translation man......got a direct link?

Comment

Yup,
                Webs.com has been shut down on the 31st of August 2023. Find out what that means for your site and how to move it to another provider.

its in the middle of the page and called ver3.zip.

Or i can send u next time i see you on msn...

Luke.

Comment

Cheers ^_^

Comment

Working...
                  X