Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mechassault - Downloadable CTF mode and more....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mechassault - Downloadable CTF mode and more....

Sure you all know this already but Mechassault is finally going to get the promised downloadable Capture the Flag mode complete with two specifically made CTF maps and two new Mechs.

The download will also upgrade the lobby system as well so now when it game finishes it boots players back to a host lobby so they can stay in the same server indefinitely... plus it will now display who is talking a la MotoGP as well.

All good stuff.

This taken from IGN :

MechAssault will always be seen as the title that launch Xbox Live. Among the first wave of Live titles released, MechAssault has offered up everything Live promised. Playing with good connections against people from around the country and with downloadable content to prolong the game's life. Developer Day One now looks to complete the promised beauty of Xbox Live with game upgrades and a new downloadable gameplay mode.

Capture the Flag has long been a standard of multiplayer games and MechAssualt finally gets with the crowd in just three weeks. For those who don't know, capture the flag pits two teams against each other. Each team has a home base where their flag is housed. The goal is to steal the flag from the enemy base and return it to your own, all the while trying to defend your own flag.

Two new maps, usable only for Capture the Flag, will be available for download with CTF as will two brand new mechs. The new maps are quite different from one another. Midtown Mayhem is another city map, but features rolling hills and some valleys to hide in. Desert Storm is a much cooler version of the wasteland maps previously on the MechAssault disk. With heavily blowing winds, several bridges, and some long drops, this one is actually up there as one of my favorite maps available.

The two new mechs, the Loki and its variant the Hellbringer, are powerful beasts that can stand toe-to-toe with the Atlas and possibly even the Ragnarok. And the Hellbringer comes with extra goodness in the Flamer gun, which offers some major burn damage.

The newest MechAssault downloads, available in three weeks time, will include some upgrades to the overall MA online experience. Now when a game is finished, instead of being kicked to the general lobby, all players will be brought back into a game lobby. This way you can keep playing with the same people, but change up the game modes and options any way you like. Also, whenever someone talks, their name will now flash onscreen, so you can see if it's actually your own teammate crying for an assist. Good job.

I Capture the Flag

I had the good fortune to play two games of Capture the Flag today, and I've got to say, it's probably the best online mode for MechAssault. This is going to revive any waning interest and likely prolong MechAssault's life into the holiday season.

Both matches were more intense than your average round of any other MA online game. And the two maps are perfect for capture the flag, though I wish they were a bit bigger or that there were more than just two. Still, the two play quite differently. Midtwon Mayhem is more of a run and gun map with city walls around your base to allow for easier defense. But your base in Desert Storm is wide open, and there are more places to ambush, so a defensive strategy seems more sensible.

No matter how you choose to play CTF, the choice of mechs becomes vital and unlike any other MechAssault game teamwork is a must. A Raven, with his speed and double null signal is a great choice to act as a runner. Give him some support with a Mad Cat and let him sneak into a base, grab the flag, and run (even if he is invisible, the flag can be seen by enemies). Then have two big guys, maybe an Atlas and a Ragnarok, guard your base. Or heck, you may want two runners and not just one. No matter what, though, your team must know there rolls if you're to defend your base and get your enemy's flag. And frankly, it's that teamwork aspect that's needed in more Live games.

Till now, voice seemed an option in MechAssault as many battles online are dead silent. But everyone became quite vocal during CTF and I'm pretty sure this game mode will open up the lines of communication and smack talk a bit more.

In the end, Capture the Flag is looking damn fine. The new mechs are cool and the game upgrades are greatly appreciated. Anyone who owns MechAssault will want to look for the new content (scheduled to release in about three weeks). After all, it's free. Anyone who doesn't have MA yet, may want to change their tune thanks to the added gameplay options. And best of all, there's still more downloadable content to come.

We'll have more of MechAssault and its downloadable goodies in the near future.

Maybe this will go some way to making Mechassault fun - during the brief period I gave it a try, Live consisted of: Find enemy, circle-strafe and fire, kill/die, repeat. Yawntastic.

Comment

Sounds good, although I'll believe it when I see it, after the last update kept slipping and slipping back. I can see random games being a total pain to set up. A lot of people seem to have trouble just choosing a colour, never mind a mech suited to a specific CTF role.

Comment

Working...
      X