Van Helsing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Van Helsing

I spent a while playing this (PS2) yesterday, and was pleasantly surprised, as to be honest I was expecting it to be awful. What you get is a unashamedly blatant Devil May Cry clone, make no mistake this doesnt top Capcoms masterpiece, but it remains a enjoyable and action-packed diversion nonetheless. The comparisons are many, from the movement of Van Helsing to the carbon-copy moves, even the classic 'uppercut your enemy into the air and blast him guns blazing in mid-air' is present. Being someone who loved DMC, I can live with this, even if it feels a little cheap and unoriginal at times. Theres a lot to uncover here, Ill post back again once Ive progressed further into it.

Hmmm does sound promising...I've preordered it although vg+ have yet to ship it even though its supposed to be released in the states today

I'm a sucker for a decent sounding DMC clone...just hope its a bit better then Spawn Armagedon!

Comment

Marcus, that's encouraging. From the screenshots and videos I'd seen it all looked more than a bit crap, but your post has given me a glimmer of hope. Let us know more.

Comment

Ive not played it since the last post due to being too busy. Id say that if you liked DMC then Im sure you will find something of enjoyment here, its far better than Spawn you can rest assured.

Comment

I'm about half way through the Xbox version, and really enjoying it. Its not too hard (hence why I'm so far through so quickly) and nothing ground-breaking, but definitely worth a play through.

It controls well, graphics are ok and the action can be fun if a bit repetitive.

Thoroughly enjoying it, and defo recommended (although I can see all the hardcore totally slating it)

Comment

just the fact it was a game of a film made me think the underworld game.

but it sounds ok, how does it compare to the DMC ripping off-ness of legacy of kain: dark alliance?

Comment

Completed this game twice, I was testing this for microsoft. does it still have the floating werwolves?

Proably the most blatant rip-off ever, not a bad rip-off though. It lacks DMC overall style, but the combat is satisfying and there is a little depth to the weapon selection. And the Scorpion style 'get over here!' moves cool. Bad A.I and possibly the most annoying bonus level ever created by Human hands. The 'Blood room' or as the name you will learn to call it 'the gay jumping platform collision conundrum crap' that is if they haven't fixed the jump collision detection.

The record for completting this with cheats on is 17 minutes, I'm sure it can be beaten I haven't tried though,

Trippy cheat is cool...

Comment

Working...
              X