MizuBaku Daiboken aka Liquid Kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MizuBaku Daiboken aka Liquid Kids

This game went for $140 recently on the Saturn and has a good reputation, so I decided to have a look at it in MAME today and all I can say is wow. The game just oozes character(cute character at that) and is one of the most aesthetically pleasing games I've ever played, the use of colour is amazing, especially so for a game from 1990 imo. It's superbly playable too and pretty tough (for me at least!)

Unfortunately, the saturn version has become very rare so the hopes of finding one at a good price are low(the hopes of finding one are low, period!). A PC Engine version exists though, and seems to be somewhat cheaper

Does anyone have experience of both the PC Engine and Saturn versions? is it worth spending a lot more to get the Saturn version?

Geezer

Sorry, I can't speak for the Saturn version, but the PC Engine version is gorgeous. I hadn't heard of this until I stumbled accross it in the Video Game Centre years ago. It was a fair old price then (although most of their stock is!), but it's well worth the money.

I'd love for a GBA port of this, and Parasol Stars.

Comment

If you're feeling the need to flex the plastic, Videogameimports have a mint Saturn copy for ?70 & a mint PC Engine copy for ?49.

Comment

I must admit I'm tempted but I'm sure I can get it for under ?50 with some patience
        I also tried out some other Taito stuff like Rainbow Islands and Don Doko Don, they really knew how to make good platformers

Comment

New Zealand Story is my favourite Taito platformer. The levels were huge, enemy design was fantastic and it was rock hard.

Comment

Got to agree on New Zealand Story
            I still love playing this even today. Still too hard for me to finish without warping and the small ice platforms on the last level are plain evil (had to resort to save states in MAME for that). The heaven levels are also a pretty neat little addition.

Parasol Stars is a another fave, and again rather tough. I used to play this all the time on the Amiga and was always discovering little secrets. I've always had the feeling I only ever scratched the surface of this game. Similarly Rainbow Islands. I was recently reading a website on this and didn't realise just how many secrets were hidden away deep within the game.

I need to try this Liquid Kids out now

Comment

Liquid Kids on PCE > Liquid Kids on Saturn.

Not really sure why TBH, just is.

Comment

Working...
              X