La Pucelle Tactics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

La Pucelle Tactics

I got this game today thanks to VG+, my next review for the site. For those that don't know, La Pucelle was a Japanese only release on the PS1 a few years back - this is a US PS2 remake. It is the prequel to Disgaea and similarly a tactical RPG.

First impressions are good. Anyone who was at home with Disgaea will be right at home here. The whole thing feels very familiar. You play the part of a squad of demon hunters called La Pucelle (spookily). The idea is to purify the world and send the dark energy to rest in peace.

The first few minutes tell the story of the game, the next ten or so lead you through the tutorial on how to battle. If you've played Disgaea then you'll have no problems here, the same isometric maps are there, the gaining experience as you fight is there, the enemies are there.

You have attack and specials, you can move about the map, you can team attack. In fact the whole feel is very similiar, but there are a couple of things that will change game tactics. In Disgaea you had Geo Squares, in La Pucelle you have Dark Portals. These are flows of dark energy that you can purify. When enemies are on them it makes them stronger, so it is a good idea to destroy them. You can use these to your advantage though, you can change the flow of them by standing on them and changing the direction you're facing. When you purify them, any enemy on the flow will take damage.

In Disgaea you could go to the council and create allies, assuming you had enough mana. In La Pucelle you can purify the enemies on the map and make them allies - although you have to kill them to do this. The more you purify them, the more likely they are to join you. Joining you isn't a certainty after purifying them.

When you execute a battle round, the screen for each attack changes to 2D rather than it being shown on the isometric map. There also always seems to be a counter to any attack.

At victory, you are awarded Battle Points and Purification Bonus. These add up to make your Purica total. I'm not sure yet what these can be used for.

Getting to locations requires more leg work. You have to traverse locations and the world map, rather than just portalling as you did in Disgaea.

The only thing I've seen so far that I didn't like is the default menu option in the battles. Instead of it being execute commands, it's end turn. You'll need to be careful not to select that by mistake if you're not ordering all your units at once.

Well, that's my first impressions, and so far it's looking pretty good. Could it be another 150 hours of my life? Time will tell.

If you have any questions, ask away and I'll do my best to answer them.

Regards
    Marty

Thanks for that - it's sounding good. A couple of questions:

I love the humour in Disgaea - does this have a similar tone?

Did VG+ send it to you early as you're reviewing it? I preordered and hope it will arrive on Monday ...

Comment

There doesn't seem to be the same kind of dark humour in the game as Disgaea, but then I'm only 1 1/2 hours in so far and haven't experienced much of the story. It's still very much a light hearted affair.

VG+ sent the game on Wednesday, 3-4 days isn't unusual for them. I pre-ordered just the same.

Regards
      Marty

Comment

can someone post a link 4 VG+
        i donno the website..
        i take it they sell import games for us europeans
        i hope to get phantom brave this fall in america as well, i hope VG+ have that soon

Comment

Erm - well you could try the banner at the top of the page - seeing as they are an associate of the web site.

It's also highly unlikely that VG+ will have Phantom Brave soon seeing as the release date is "fall 2004".

Now let's keep this thread on La Pucelle. Thanks.

Regards
          Marty

Comment

im getting la pucelle in 2 monthes since ill be going to the usa soon. i'll but it there.

but when the game comes out over here do u think koei will publish it like with disgaea?

Comment

Bah, my copy didn't come today from vg+ (pre ordered too).

Mind you neither has Red Dead Revolver and that shipped on monday. *sulk*

Anyway its probably a bit early to tell at this stage but does it look like a step forward or back from Disgaea Marty? I understand that its actually an older game thats only just been translated...

(hoping that mondays posts brings goodies anyway)

Comment

From what I've played, La Pucelle isn't quite as refined as Disgaea. I'm sure there's plenty more for me to discover that will deepen the experience. So far it's not looking as expansive as Disgaea, but then that didn't really open up until several days into the game, so it's early yet.

Regardless of above, it's been an enjoyable experience so far, and I'm now into the second chapter.

Regards
                Marty

Comment

disghaea was influenced by la pucelle. La pucelle was a prequel to disgaea, and it was also made b4 disgaea

Comment

Marty, what are the characters like? Are they as likeable as Disgaea?
                    Is the game too similar to Disgaea in that it doesnt seem like another game but just an expansion pack?
                    Also, whats the travelling like? Does it get tedious?

Comment

The personalities are quite a bit different, perhaps not as developed, it's a bit early yet as I've really only met four game characters.

I wouldn't say that it's too similar. All TRPGs have their commonalities - I'd say La Pucelle was the lesser game (understandable seeing as it is the older game), but it's still worth a look.

The travelling isn't too bad. There's not that much of it, on the world map you simply click a location to go to, and chose a level map there. Some locations you have to walk about in to find buildings like shops. It's all left and right movement only.

Oh, I've found the Purica is the game currency. Also, the Dark Portals release extra enemies on a map if you leave them unpurified for too long. This can make some maps quite tricky if you don't get your priorities right. In this respect it's quite different to Disgaea tactics. The good thing on combat maps is you can exit part way though a battle, useful if you're losing badly, and get back to the world map - this then restores your HP/SP. You have to restart the map once you go back in though.

Regards
                      Marty

Comment

Question!

did la pucelle have nice artwork in the booklet?

Comment

I like it. It's a bit spartan though, the PS1 release had all sorts of character bios in it. Shame it's missing from the PS2 release.

Regards
                          Marty

Comment

Well I've finally got around to playing this and so far I'm impressed, although those looking for as deep an experience as Disgaea may be disappointed.

Overall the game feels a little like Disgaea-lite; its a lot easier to pick up although there doesn't appear to be as much depth to the combat/strategy, although this is only based on about 5 hours of playtime.

The story seems fairly candyfloss so far, although the characters are nicely drawn and show some signs of more interesting things happening - the female mentor character and the head of the church look like there may be more to them the first appears. Sadly the lead character is pure manga brat - but who knows where the story will develop.

My main likes so far are manipulating the dark energy fields to create spells which is tricky but well worth doing for a massive enemy slaughter and bring enemy characters over to your side - I've recently recruited a bear and he is an uber ninja in cuddly form *lol*

Anyway I'm enjoying it so far but methinks this is a case of play Disgaea first and if you want more of similar style get it.

Comment

*single handedly keeping this thread alive*

No-one else playing this?

Anyway finally come to the end of this (c.45 hrs play) and I can honestly say its been one my finest game experiences of this year.

After a slow start the plot really picks up and turns unexpectedly dark. Some of the battles towards the end of the game are very cleverly designed as well. Although the game isn't as deep as Disgaea, I found it a more fun - easier too for what its worth.

*minor spoilery bits ahead*

However I couldn't be bothered with the intense amount of levelling required to beat the bonus missions (I finished the game with a party all around lv50-60 - to do all the dark world stuff and the final training cave you need to be at least lv200!). Also I've no real desire to return to the game - hence the finished it, sold it presence in trading folder.

Anyway some lovely bits of character design, snappy dramatic plot and solid game design. Well worth the money inho.

So those who have recently picked the game up in trading folder please post their thoughts - eh Saur?

Comment

Working...
                              X