Rare Megadrive??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rare Megadrive??

Hi all, will try and post a pic sometime soon but......

I have a Megadrive (defo a Megadrive not a genesis), it's totally unmodded but!
    • It has a cartridge slot, wider than a normal pal and ntsc consoles
    • Has a much larger Gold 16bit writing on it, much bigger than the pal console
    • Has a blue power button
    • Plays any region game fine
    • Has purple bits on it!
    • Says AV enabled and reference console bellow the gold 16bit logo

has anyone come across this before???

It probably came from Hong Kong originally if that helps??

Its the Asian version of the Megadrive

Comment

Cheers , not seen one before.

Comment

Yeah, thats just a jap one init

Comment

Nope, not Japanese. Asian import machines generally run at 50hz.

Comment

I've got one too,

was sold it as a "Japanese MegaDrive" ah well, plays all region games, and looks nicer than standard UK one imo. so goes lovely with my PAL Mega CD, one day I'll get myself a Jpn MD that plays all regions, or jus a 60hz asian one, or try do the 60hz mod on my current Asian MD. I've got an Asian MD2 as well, tho personally I find the MD2 a shoddy unit.

Comment

well it could be asian or jap they both look the same.

I originally had a 50htz asian MD years ago ( no scart tv then ), do you have a sticker on the box like this?

Comment

its a Hong Kong megadrive and according to Edge its highly collectible because it is region free and distinguishable(sp) by its larger gold writing.

I wouldnt mind one myself to be honest.

Region free - all console should be this way.

Comment

Is it possible to mod these to 60Hz?

Geezer

Comment

Originally posted by Geo-V6
                    its a Hong Kong megadrive and according to Edge its highly collectible because it is region free and distinguishable(sp) by its larger gold writing.
                    Region free, hahahaha... try playing a Japanese Gunstar Heroes and finding out how region free it is... Edge talking out of there rear end as normal...

Basically the Asian spec Megadrives have a Japanese like case but are effectively PAL UK machines but with Japanese style cartridge ports (so you can use most (but not all) US/UK games.

Comment

**strikes Hong Kong MD off his to buy list***

**gives edge 2 finger salute**

Comment

Most of the MD games prior to 1993 are region free. You just had to hack off the ridges around the slot to get imports to work in a PAL MD.

I like the look of the Asian MD alot. The gold 16-bit badge is very bling bling.

Comment

True but some games will revert back to the silly English names of games Truxton from Tatsujin for example. And a couple of games are easier to play on a UK machine, Tatsujin on Medium is the same as Truxton on hard...

Comment

Cool. I didn't know the carts would have the English version that they'd revert to. Seems like a strange thing to do because they wouldn't fit in a PAL Mega Drive anyway.

Forgot to mention I think all the EA and Codemasters games are region free as well. They bypass the copy protection (which is why Sega had to let EA publish anything they wanted like Dark Castle *shudder*)

Comment

Codemasters games are, not all EA games are region free. And the Japanese EA games are in Japanese regardless of the machine (although the later ones are region locked...).

Comment

Working...
                              X