VF3tb - Turbo Edition?...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VF3tb - Turbo Edition?...

I've used a CDX to boot a PAL version of said game on a Jpn DC and upon watching the demo the game ran mega fast! The i started the game and it is indeed speeded up! I think its running at 70.5fps as PAL is 17.5 so on toppa 60fps its mega! Anyone tried this? Seems a much more of a challenging game now...

no it's running at standard jap speed.

i had the pal version and i hated it and thus hated vf3tb (never played it in the arcades except once)

then i got hte jap one and it was much faster.

the pal vf3tb is 50Hz anyway so all that's happening is it's running as fast as the jap one. Same goes for VF1 and 2 - i got the jap versions and they're much faster. They're all 50fps, not 60fps. I've never seen a pal50 game running in 30/60fps, they're all 25/50fps as pal50 itself is 25fps (ntsc and pal60 are 30fps)

you're right - it is more challenging as you have to be that much quicker...and i had to learn some of the move timings over again to keep up with the speed!

i find quite a few uk pal50 games start playing better in 60Hz and don't cut off the bottom of the screen. I had Snow Surfers PAL and it was 50Hz with no 60Hz option. Booting it up on my jap DC (with pal mod) made the game start playing in 60Hz and at the right screen size (it's almost full screen in pal50 anyway). Who knows? Maybe they didnt put the option in but still had the game screen adjusted when playing in 60Hz

Comment

Hmmm i dont think its running at standard Jpn speed cos i got an American VF3tb running on Jpn machine and no way is it as fast as the PAL running on Jpn machine cos its super fast, really really fast! like its being forwarded in a video! lol It's mad fast! I'm talking about the Action Replay CDX and not DCX incase you thought i type it wrong - that CDX i got from Dreamcast machine mag ages ago! I haven't tried it with other game yet but i will soon, i reckon they will be super fast too! lol

Comment

BTW i had Japanese version of VF3TB when it was launched on native hardware that ran normal just like US version...

Comment

Can you capture videos? I'd love to see this

Comment

a similar thing happens when i play pal games in ntsc on the megadrive emulator on my xbox (neogenesis).
            the music would speed up and stuff and the game would zip along.
            there's obviously something going wrong, because the fact of the matter is the pal version of vf3tb runs at 50fps. 50fps*1.175(17.5% increase) = 58.75fps

so i think what's happening is the coders optimised the pal vf3tb to increase the speed.

see, even though the game only runs at 50Hz (on a regular uk dc with no boot disc), you'll notice it'd be much faster than if you got the jap/us version and played that at 50Hz...

so what's happening is you're playing a 50Hz-optimised game at 60Hz and having a party

i remember VF2 on saturn being like this - the pal version was ok for speed (not wonderful), the jap version @ 60Hz was nice for speed (i.e. the proper speed), the jap version @ 50Hz was really slow (slower than pal), and the pal version @ 60Hz was faster than the jap version!

so i guess i've had the same experience as you, i just forgot until right now lol

Comment

I have vague memories of reading that the Pal Version was optimised. Not 60hz but somehow faster than a standard 50hz version would be.

That would explain your experience of the game going TURBO

Comment

yes. yes it would

Comment

Here you goes Boogaloo et co:

Comment

Working...
                  X