SNES/Megadrive run'n'games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SNES/Megadrive run'n'games

Anyone got any recommendations? This is a genre that feels very at home on the 16bit formats and I would like to know the best games to play

I've recently discovered the following:

SFC:
    Contra Spirits
    Rendering Ranger R2

MD:
    Alien Soldier
    Contra Hard Corps
    Gunstar Heroes

I'm hoping that theres's a few more good 'uns

Also, does anyone know how much Rendering Ranger R2 usually goes for? VGI have a cart only one for ?40 and a boxed one for ?105, but their prices are not usually indicative of a game's real market value

Hagane on the SFC is pretty nice.

Comment

Rendering Ranger is damn rare! Snap it up!
      Not sure about the price though, in Edge's retro review section-thinggy they said a Jap version should go for ?90 to ?120...

Comment

Although not on a 16bit console, it is very 16bit in style - Rapid Reload on Playstation.

Comment

Sunset riders is another good 'un. Though the arcade versions the best.

Comment

I tried Hagane, its alright but not a great game imo, worth picking up cheaply though

nickgodfrey-I have the JPN version, called Gunners Heaven, still havent tried it as I dont have a working Sony console atm

jezzace-I'll try that one tonight

Geezer

Comment

In addition to those already mentioned :

Snes :

- Super Turrican 1 and 2 are pretty good, especially ST2 which is a technical achievement.

- Cybernator and Metal Warriors, interesting if you like "meka" run'n guns.

Megadrive :

- Atomic Runner, port of Chelnov (arcade) with improved graphics. Quite good, even underrated IMO.

- Mega Turrican on the MD is a competent port from Turrican 3 on the Amiga.

Comment

Alisia Dragoon on the MD is a sort-of run 'n' gunner with a fantasy setting. Good fun.

By the way, does the US version of Contra Hard Corps give the player an energy bar, making it easier than the JPN/UK versions, or am I thinking of something else?

Comment

I now have the US version of Contra Hard Corps(+the JPN version arriving tomorrow). I've played the JPN version in an emu though.

The US version doesn't have an energy bar-1 hit kills
                  The JPN version does have one-3 hits are required to kill you

I wonder why they made the change? It's a little odd!
                  Last edited by Geezer; 15-06-2004, 04:08.

Comment

Originally posted by SharkSkin-Man
                    Hagane on the SFC is pretty nice.
                    I`ve got a mate who loves that game to death. I reckon its a great game too. The whole atmosphere conveyed by the great graphics and the awesome sound. Sure its a fairly simple game, buts its decent example of rock-solid arcade action.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyle
                      In addition to those already mentioned :
                      Snes :
                      - Super Turrican 1 and 2 are pretty good, especially ST2 which is a technical achievement.
                      yep. 4mbit and with dolby surround!!!!

but contra and cybernator on the Snes.

alien 3 and gunstar heroes onthe MD.

Comment

Working...
                      X