Rakuga Kids - Any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rakuga Kids - Any good?

Just picked up an N64 at weekend with RR64 and really enjoying it. Noticed Rakugakids as well for cheap, it looked interesting, but I know NOTHING about it.

Anyone got any opinions?

Cheers!

My friend picked this up in gamestation the other day and we spent an evening getting to grips with it. I'm no beat 'em up expert, but I've played my share of SF clones (what this is trying to be a rudimentary version of) and I have to say my main point of criticism is.............

N64 controllers were not made for beat-'em-ups!!!! The design of the d-pad makes it almost impossible to pull off any dragon punch-motion moves to the point where my friend's button-mashing gf was hammering me before I could even pull off a special move! The analogue stick is fine if you don't mind your character jumping into the air at random intervals.

None of this is the fault of the game I realise, and from what I could otherwise tell it seemed like a fairly solid if (obviously) kiddy orientated little fighter. It has some cool characters, like a bear-tank and a basket ball playing, hip-hop cat, my favourite of all being this funny caped character who can teleport and fire bombs by gyrating his hips. After a while we manged to cope with the controls (just couldn't pull anything off too quickly) and it was pretty fun. I don't know if you can get fighting pads / sticks for the N64 having never owned one... but if you want to get the most out of the game you definately need a couple.

Comment

Personally i think it's one of the best fighting games on the N64. I have a short review of it on my site. It's in the N64 section on there.

Comment

RR64 is great, hence I ripped the music from it two days ago, so fresh off the press: http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/showthread.php?t=24339 8)

Comment

I'm not a fan. Bouts seem to take far too long - it's been a long time since I last played it, but I remember them nearly always ending with the time running out, rather than because one player had actually beaten the other. It's cute, but very basic.

Comment

Played it today, after not playing for a while god this game has aged really well. Graphics are gorgeous, animation is great, character design is top notch. Probably my favourite beat em up and I disagree about the n64 pad comments, its fine for beatem ups (anyone moaning about it is just trying to make up for their own incompetence) cos at least its buttons are in a
            PPP
            KKK
            arrangement not using shoulder buttons for P/K or any of that moronic ****. And I can manage the moves just fine with it.

Comment

Originally posted by df0notfound
              (anyone moaning about it is just trying to make up for their own incompetence)
              Well I wasn't saying that doesn't contribute to my problems...

Guess I've just been spoilt lately with my Saturn arcade stick and SFZ3. Maybe with a bit more practice I'll find it easier.

K.

Comment

Originally posted by Kristofski
                Well I wasn't saying that doesn't contribute to my problems...

Guess I've just been spoilt lately with my Saturn arcade stick and SFZ3. Maybe with a bit more practice I'll find it easier.

K.
                Well yeah I could see how using a decent stick can spoil ya. I mean pads just can't compete with sticks in beatemups

Comment

Rakuga was without doubt a nice little game. The graphics were very innovative for the time and it still looks fairly nice. I like the wacky sense of humour but I never played it enough to conclude whether it was a good game.

The N64 pad sucked for fighters.

Comment

DJ Kit Kat cracks me up...

Comment

Working...
                    X