Mario Vs Donkey Kong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mario Vs Donkey Kong

Hurrah. After missing the delivery on Saturday... finally was able to pick this up today. Firstly I must apoligize for the extremely brief and rushed impressions however ive only played for a few moments and really haven?t got a lot of time to spare. Shall post more later?

Righty, first impressions scream high production values to me, which isn?t unexpected yet it still nonetheless pleasing. The pre-rendered stills during the intro provide a surprising amount of character, humour and meaning and all look rather yummy. The title screen has some very nice subtle animations and the entire selection of menus are easy to use, understand and navigate.

Now your in control of Mario. I understand the rendered characters will not be to everyones tastes and some will question why depart from the classic 2d sprites, however I think they look gorgeous and are animated superbly. Mario has tones of animations which all link together seamlessly and look very impressive indeed. He seems to have many new moves to master as well as some old classics of course. One new move is executed by pressing down and A which perfoms a cool little handstand. There are also nice little touches like mario pointing his toes when jumping from a spring, wiggling while crouching etc

Mario runs a little slower then in his classic platform games, yet feels perfectly suited for his environments. The first set of levels are obviously simple to allow the player to get to grips with everything? yet they are still cleverly designed and tease at what is to come.

I haven?t listened to the music yet sadly (was on the bus) ? though I look forward to doing so.

So far? im surprisingly pleased. It seems it is going to be another fantastic addition to the already incredible list of games staring the little plumber. Love him or hate him ? his sense of quality cannot be disputed

Sorry again for brief impressions. Anyone else got this little gem yet?
    Last edited by Adam Stone; 01-06-2004, 11:16.
    ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Mmmm bananas... mmmm!

Almost at the end second time around. My copy arrived Saturday so been playing it quite a bit. Challenging but not too frustrating thankfully. Most deaths are caused by your lack of skill or not doing the level properly as opposed to control difficulties. Will probably need help getting some of the stars though, a couple really have me scratching my head based on how quickly you need to do them.

If you've played and loved DK94 then you have to get this; it's a slightly cut down version of that classic game, but with new bits thrown in to compensate (mainly the new take for the extra worlds).
    Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Are menu's etc in English or is the Japanese easy to work out.

Comment

What is the idea of the game?, is it a platformer or a puzzle game?

Comment

Originally posted by davidholliss
          Are menu's etc in English or is the Japanese easy to work out.
          It's actually out in the US before the Japanese release. Came out last week over there, and later this month in Japan, I think.

I just got my copy this morning and it seems to be really good. Sort of a puzzle/platform hybrid thing.

Comment

Originally posted by red yoshi
            What is the idea of the game?, is it a platformer or a puzzle game?
            Both. As I said, if you've played DK94 then you'll know what to expect.

On the normal worlds, the levels are split into two sections: first part has you getting the key and taking it to the lock. Second part has you reaching the mini-Mario toy and freeing it. Both require you to figure out how to maneuver round the levels using springs, coloured switches (as per SMW), moving platforms, ropes a la DK Jr and so on.

That goes on for 6 stages. You then have a stage where you have to lead the toys back to the toybox in the style of Troddlers, without hopefully getting any of them destroyed. The number you get back safely determines the amount of energy you get for the final stage: defeating Donkey Kong.

8 stages per world then, and 6 worlds. And a final showdown. And after that, you get to do it all again but with new level layouts and a different task to perform in each instead

Comment

I got the game and it give me a nice smile. A proper retro gaming with modern graphics.

Make a nice alternative to Super Mario Bros 3

Comment

I WANT ONE! ^o^

I WANT ONE!

Comment

I'm a it surprised at how quickly and easily I've progressed so far (only got it yesterday, on world 4 of 6), but it certainly is fun. The expert mode that is spoke of in the instruction manual will probably add more difficulty, especially as Mayhem has said that the levels are altered around.

Favourite bit so far (besides defeating bricks by standing on your hands ) is theTroddlers type levels where you have to round up your clock work Mario's and get them in the chest.

The ability to watch all the movies again in the options screen is a nice touch too. Fun game so far.

Quick question about DK 94. Is it more like this game or the original Dk where you climbed ladders to save the Princess?

Comment

Just to add the flaw I've found is the ease and regularity that you can get extra lives. If you collect all the presents you get a mini game to earn more lives, which isn't a problem necessarily. The problem is that I've replayed lots of the levels to get better scores to earn stars and in the process I've racked up too many lives and the game saves the amount you've collected too.

Comment

DK94 or whatever it was called was and still is a brilliant game, and if you haven't played it, shame on you. The lives situation sounds the same, you could amass 99 lives quite easily.

Comment

Lives don't really have any meaning to be honest... if you lose them all, you get 5 back again when you restart. The only real consideration there is for them is in the original 2-part levels; if you lost all your lives on part 2, you'd go back to part 1 when you restarted.

And yes, I want all of them too

Comment

I have just picked this up and am enjoying it so far.

I have completed the first two worlds, and collected a star on each of the levels in the first world.

I have found lives no problem also - I have only lost a couple and have over 30 now - but then lives are never a problem in games such as this. They never really serve any purpose, they might as well just do away with the idea.

Havent been too challenged yet, and Mario feels cumbersome to control which came as a surprise to me (mentioned in the review, so hopefully as it says I will get used to it and it will work in the context of the game).

Seems to be a bit on the short side so far, and I hope it gets a bit more taxing, but its been a nice distraction so far.

Comment

Loving it so far, I'm up to world 6 level 4, it started getting really hard around level 5.3. Apparently you unlock a second set of 6 worlds (with 8 levels each) and 12 expert levels beyond that.

I particularly like the lemmings/pikmin levels, I'd buy a game of just those!

Comment

Is it true that you can link the game up to the gamecube and use a level editor on the gamecube screen?

Also, is anyone else relieved that Donkey Kong is out of the hands of Rare and back doing what he does best- being a big, stupid evil monkey?

Comment

Working...
                              X