Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arcade Machine Question

Have recently come into possession of a nice 3 button jamma cab

have recently changed the sticks to sanwa sticks and replaced the buttons but i want to add more.
    the drilling of the holes for the buttons is the thing that is troubling me what kinda of drill bit\tool would i need?
    also a few of the monitor control pots are missing and i would like to adjust the monitor slightly whats the esiest way of adjusting them?
    Any help greatly appriciated

the holes depend on the control panel really I asume it is sheet metal or plastic as you are using the sanwa sticks.

If its plastic you could probably get away with using a wood bit. (looks like a spade with a spike in the middle). Otherwise you will need to drill a small hole and use a coping saw to enlarge them to the right size.

Comment

yes it is a metal sheet covered in plastic

thought about using the wood bit but the hole it would make would not be big enough acutally have a hole making drill bit bit the difficulty is drilling through the metal.

Comment

Hmm I suspect the wood bit wouldn't get too far through the metal unless its aluminium. It's probably steel though.

Your options are therefor copping saw or pillar drill. You'd probably need a pillar drill with a morse tapper chuck in it as I'm pretty sure a standard chuck won't be able to take a big enough drill bit. You're best bet is to open the yellow pages and look for a nearby engineering outfit. It should take them the best part of 5 minutes to bang in the holes you need.

Comment

Regarding monitor controls, are they on a monitor chassis or on a seperate board near the screen?

If you look at them, if the holes of the pots are hexagonal then you should be able to pull one of the sticks from one of the other pots and use that to adjust the others. Else use a plastic trimming tool. Don't use a screwdriver unless 1) The adjustment bit is plastic (if it's metal then you can effect the pot and you won't get a decent adjustment...) and 2) It's on a seperate board. Don't adjust whilst looking around the side, use a mirror or another person... Monitor chassis when live do carry several thousand volts of electricity.

They also hold a large charge even when they are off too, so don't mess around near the back unless you know what your doing. A shock through your arm is like someone smacking your elbow with a sledgehammer....

Comment

the monitor controls are on a separate board connected
            will try to remove one of the other pots tonight as im currently at work
            the monitor does have controls on the chassis as well but these only affect the red green and blue
            focus and brightness

and yes for anyone else who has one you will learn the hard way not to touch things you dont understand

Painful is not the word, i couldn't move my arm for nearly 5 mins...

thanks all so far, those buttons will be drilled dammit!

Comment

when i built my stick, i used one of those paddle-shaped drill bits (38mm width) with the point at the end.

i doubt it'd work with metal though - you can also buy the bit that looks like a pastry cutter that just fits into your drill and away you go. i have one of those as well but it wasn't much fun cutting through wood (it all got trapped inside the bit)

your best bet is to go to the hardware shop and just tell the guy - i did that, although i felt silly explaining to him that i wanted to build a joystick with arcade bits

worth i shot, i'd say.

as for the buttons, what type are they? are they standard ones with the microswitches, or leaf ones? or are they sanwa even? i doubt they'd be sanwas as they only fit in metal sheet control panels - yours probably has metal and wood?

Comment

the contrl panel is a metal sheet covered in plastic no wood on the control panel at all.

going to try the pastry cutter drill bit once ive drilled through the panel

Comment

You seem to be getting plenty of help from the people here, but you could also try the forums at:

The International Arcade Museum at the Museum of the Game is the world's premier resource covering game, coin-operated amusement device and videogame history

Both sites are extremely useful when you need advice concerning arcade games. Some of the people there know EVERYTHING you could possibly wish to know about tinkering with cabinets and faulty boards.

Apologies if you were already aware of these sites.

Comment

hoorah!

if anyone is interested the drill bit for the job is from b&q

called a bi metal and needs a separate drill bit as well

1 1\8"
                    29mm

hard work

but i now have a six button jamma cab!!!!

result!

now if anyone can point me in the right direection for the dip switch settings for the coin control i will be very happy

mars ME115 i think is the name

Comment

Cool, didn't know that. I'm amazed you didn't wrench your arm off

Comment

lol

needed a proper powerful drill and the smell of burnt plastic will haunt me for a while...

i think it was the thought of fecking it up that made me think about it a little more than usual, plus the wife would have killed me if it had have gone pear shaped (it's my birthday present from her to me y'see)

i'd post a pic but have no where to host

now if only i didn't suck at garou MOTW heh

Comment

Destrukticor,

I'm interested where you got your cab from. Was it from ebay. I've been toying with the idea for some time now. The problem is weighing up looks, functionality and cost.

Any tips you've learned in your quest for arcade goodness are greatly appreciated.

Man how I would love to put my 1 slot in a cab.

Comment

Originally posted by Destrukticor
                            i'd post a pic but have no where to host
                            Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

it's free to register, and it works wicked for ebay etc. it was designed so you can link directly to the pictures and there are no foreseeable size limits although each pic will be resized if larger than 250k.

i use it and it's wicked

Comment

My cab came from ebay

?140

Tips?

Pick your room carefully, sounds silly but these things are rather big so make sure you have the room to put the thing in.

make sure you know the cab measurements, again sounds silly but will if FIT through a door or up the stairs?

Decide before purchase whether you want to add the buttons yourself (hard work but so rewarding or buy the cab with six buttons on already

MAME, JAMMA or both decide beforehand

Set yourself a budget and do not go over it took me nearly six months of auctions to find my cab patience is the key

Don't pick auctions that are 500 miles from where you live these things are big heavy and need a transit van to pickup (and 1 or 2 strong friends)

The screen is the most important bit, see it working before handing over cash and make sure that the thing can be adjusted (specially brightness and colours) when i got mine the brightness was WAY to high and the coulours were to full, an hour of tweaks later and the monitor is perfect.

a lot of hard work but so so worth it

that photobucket site seems ok till after the reg screen any other free picc hosting sites so i can show some pics?

Comment

Working...
                              X