Monster Hunter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monster Hunter

For those of you who don't know anything about this game ill fill the blanks in a little from what ive gathered so far, although im very supprised no one has allready posted a first play on this game or said anything about it really.

Although this is mainly an online game japan only for now im afraid, it also has a single player as well. If you cast your minds back to Phantasy Star Online then youll get an idea of what the game is structured like.

You start of by creating your character , doesent seem that comprehensive but i suppose when you get new clothing in the game propper there would be alot of difference in the characters. When your done creating your character you will get to play the game.

From what ive played so far it reminds me of the graphical style of FFX only much, much nicer, with interactive scenery such as vines and ledges. The first time you go out into the fields by the way is truely beutiful with a heuge draw distance and brilliantly detailled scenery. Level design is like PSO with the main level split up into sub sections which all load up individually but loading is very quick and not really noticable, its designed for online remember, so i suppose its designed to keep the game lag free.

Combat is sattisfying and meaty using the right analouge stick to swing your sword about, pulling of combos and various moves by pressing the stick in different directions. The controls are far mrore responsive and have far more common scence applied to them that other online games ive played although like PSO you cannot pause the game in singleplayer, however the game is designed well enough so you need not have to.
    Stealth is also applied to the game with the player being able to crouch down and hide in grass to sneak up on your prey. havent encounterd any predators yet so ill keep you posted on how well the stelth really works although i suspect its mainly designed for group ambushes.

Other nice little touches are things like cooking your freshly killed and stripped meat on a little spit (which has a brilliant little tune to acompany your spinning food by the way) so that you can recover you stamina. Also the game features herds of animals grazing in the fields that truly look fluid and would be amazing to look at with your buddy's online.

Thats all for now but ill update it when ive played more and understand it a bit better, like what the hell im supposed to do on my current mission.

After seeing all the praise from famitsu, I was wondering if anyone else had some impressions. As after looking at VG+ its out at the end of this month, and i'm already tempted to pre-order it.

Comment

Our review of Monster Hunter is ready, and will be online this week.

Comment

I've been keeping my eye on this myself but I didn't think it was due out yet, does anyone know if it supports the HDD?, the official one that FFXI comes preinstalled on.

Comment

I saw it running in Japan, and very nearly bought it, although its clearly designed for primarily online play.

I look forward to more impressions from you fishbowlhead! Its certainly an awesome looking game.

Comment

Since somebody has actually botherd to post here now i thourght id write a few more impressions.

The ultimate advise that i can give you all is that unless you speak and read Japaniese you will hit dead end after dead end. The challenges are explained before each stage but as some of them involve combining items, collecting different objects and trapping certain types of monster it is reallly quite impenatrable.

So you can take your chances and by Jap, or take the safe route and wait a little longer for the USA release which isnt that far away now, whatever option you choose though your still going to have an amazing experience.

Comment

Is there a monthly fee for the game in Japan?

Comment

The monthly fee covers all Capcom online games, so thats biohazard outbreak file 1/2, monster hunter and the gundam games.

US release was supposed to be this month, but no idea what happened to it.

And no, no HDD used at all.

Comment

No comments on the negative reports of the somewhat aimless wandering in towns, lack of voice-comms (making combat team-work more difficult), or forming parties?

My big wish is that its going to be playable world-wide, why else drop voice-chat (apart from seemingly Japanese bias), as Sony seems to have problems letting us gamers play anyone we want to...

Comment

Would you say that the game is worth buying just for the single player? (US version when it?s released)
                    Do you have some A.I. "buddies" in single player that help you hunt those animals?

Comment

Like PSO it has no AI buddies to help you

The single player is a decent game, but it's just not quite the same as the multiplayer. When you're alone, the game starts off by giving you an ambient feeling being alone in the jungle, starting off with non-aggressive monsters, but as soon as you take on some quests you begin to experience the fast paced frenetic madness that a well-made online RPG can give. I say it's worth buying, but you really must try it online, even if it means getting a new PS2.

I agree the game could've done with voice-chat as the text-chat is fairly cumbersome, but it doesn't put a dent on my teamwork. I've had some amazing experiences in the game with some friends/strangers.

Comment

Is anyone still playing this on the US version?

Just finished trialling the UK one and while initially disappointed (camera problems and loading interruptions are WAY worse than the reviews here indicated) I think it could be great. Unfortunately I heard 2005 for the UK release.

Comment

What i dont get is why these sorts of games dont always support keyboard text-chat. Burnout 3 was similar, and forcing people to use the cumbersome virtual-keyboards is way more annoying than having a physical keyboard plugged in.

I dont suppose voice-chat got inserted into the PAL version, hence the delay?

Comment

I very much doubt it, but as we were testing the US beta I couldn't tell you anyway.

This one does support a keyboard though, so not sure what you're getting at. I think the Beyond Good & Evil keyboard input should be licensed out, it was genius.

Comment

Hmmm, i thought some americans testing MH (some months ago now) said there was a virtual keyboard only, thereby making it all but impossible to communicate during a fight?

Real keyboard support will help, but still not as good as voice-comms. Seems like Japanese devs have some sort of aversion to that feature...

Comment

Working...
                              X