Legend of Golfer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legend of Golfer

I had a quick bash at this last night. Its a Nintendo published game developed by SETA, (Search for Extraterrestrial Apples). Its not simply Mario Golf with real people. Well saying that, effectively there are two types of golf game, the analogue swing and the bar swing, this is still a bar swing, no Super Ultra Mega Backspin that I can find so far.

Initially it looks like you get 4 fairly generically locatated courses, grass, desert, beaches, and somewhere I can't remember. The only single graphical flourish in the game is the swingometer, and since that's pretty much all you look at in these games that aint too bad. The way the land lies on the impact square whatsit is quite intuitive aswell, looks like a BBC micro tech demo.

The guts of the game seems to be a calendar based career mode, every month you have the oportunity to train, practice, rest, buy things for your house...yes, you can seemingly upgrade your TV, not too sure about it yet though, it might just be a "what you've won" thing, in your house!

Win the tournaments when they turnup and you get moola to spend on clubs, hats, trainers, caddies, its quite indepth in a crazy Japanese way. Which goes for the presentation, someone in japan really needs to take the Helvetica Bold font away from the designers, and the graduated fill options in their paint packages, sheesh!

Big fat language barrier too, full on. But the meat of the game is golf so its all different ways to get the gold course essentially. One thing though, if you select a female caddy, you get erotic growns of delight or dispair depending on how well you do each shot...I swear it was an Hentai game for a few holes.

What is your overall impression? i.e. Does it play well?

Comment

Does it feature the option to buy clothes for yourself and dress yourself as a pervert, like my housemate did in his Xbox EA golf game?

Watching him play that was a ****ed-up experience. He'd say stuff like 'If I win this game, I can afford that black glove'. Then when he won the game, we'd see the shop mode, where his character would try on gloves and pose in them, to a bling-bling soundtrack. While this was going on my housemate would say 'oh yeah, that black glove looks sexy'. I presume he meant sexy in the way Max Power magazine would call a car sexy. It didn't come off that way, though.

See, there was a bubbling undercurrent of creepiness to the whole thing. Especially when you looked at his character- it was supposed to look like him, but the thing is in real life he looked like a fatter version of Meat Loaf, while his in-game character was this slim guy, dressed all in black, who looked like a child molester, with one 'sexy' white glove which didn't help because it made everyone think of Michael Jackson.

I really think the target audience of EA Sports games is 'people who are freaks'. Is Legend of Golfer like that in any way?

Comment

I can't really comment on the game's quality yet, I haven't played it enough, or know the controls 100%.

It does have a create a player mode as part of the "career" mode, however, the Japanese as a rule don't really have a handle on what us westerners look like, so you've got 4 skin colours, 2 haircuts per colour, and about 12 hair colours. You can also have natty outfits, but you get about 10 or so, God knows if you can buy medallions haven't played it enough.

Comment

It scored a platinum award 8/8/8/8 at Famistu so it sounds promising.

Comment

Originally posted by JibberX
            I swear it was an Hentai game for a few holes.
            oh, Matron!

Comment

Anymore for anymore Jibs?

Comment

I had a longer bash tonight, highlight were being challenge to a match play one on one by a fat guy in an orange tank top, and deciding to completely unfurnish my flat. It certainly has alot going for it... I just need more time with my Japanese book to work out the nuances.

Comment

For those who are intersted I have uploaded a few screenshots...mostly menus for translations sake.

Comment

Cheers for the pics Jibber. This game looks soooo tempting! And it would be the perfect game for me to try and learn Japanese text with.

Comment

I've got to get my review done for Saturday, but its shaping up very competently, it aint an easy game.

Comment

How's the review coming along Jibber? I'm weighing up whether to bother with this or not.

Comment

So it seems I am the only person on the english speaking planet that is playing this...and I am a tad stuck, can't crack the career mode one bit. I "think" I can only enter two tournaments per season....but there are like 6 tounaments, and then I need to get my rank high enough to stay a Tour Pro, or have a rank high enough to enter tournaments.... I am a tad baffled.

But what I can say is the novoulty of the control system is wearing off, its quite engaging but difficult, if you dont concentrate 100% you screw up in a big way.

Comment

Working...
                          X