Desert Strike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desert Strike

For some reason, on holiday, I had a massive urge to play this. I can remember many a day spent playing this on my SNES over the summer holidays, such was it's greatness.

I suppose what I loved most about it was it's sense of a living, breathing war zone. You had radars to take out, and AA guns which would shoot you down in an instant, unless you used your cunning to take out the radars first. It was one of the first games that made you use logic before you flew in all guns blazing. Ok, so you were sometimes lead by the hand sometimes, but an elite pilot could do some of the later missions way before they were supposed to be done.

It had an open-endedness that felt so fresh at the time. You felt so vulnerable against the big guns, but puny soldiers didn't stand a chance.

Absolute masterpiece of a game. As was Jungle Strike. Anyone play Urban Strike?

Yup, Desert Strike felt astounding at the time. It was like playing with a helicopter on your living room floor but ... not.

I only ever played Desert Strike at the time and I think our memories should be kepy in our minds. I played it again last summer and it took a little of the nostalgia I had for it away - it's so limited nowadays and the animation that I thought was so beautiful back shows up now as being rather cack.

Wouldn't mind playing a well-designed and made isometric shooter made for this generation actually.

Comment

This was one of the first games I bought for my Megadrive.
      Played it to death, and i still have it to this day.
      I loved the fact that you didn't have to always just do the missions, as many hours have been spent chasing those wee badies all over the place and laying waste with a few missiles

Comment

Loved the Megadrive version.

It took me a while to suss that you couldn't go in all guns blazing without coming a real cropper, but once figured out it was a really great experience.

Shame about the two sequels as they didn't seem to appeal to me as much.

The 2nd one was OK but the third one just felt like a tired rehash (just like Road Rash)

Comment

I did fairly well with the Amiga conversion which was pretty decent although I've no idea how they pulled off firing the different rockets with only one fire button.

I always thought the part at the start where the in-no-way looking like Sadam dictator gives his minion a slap for being insolent. Haha!

Comment

One of the few EA games I ever purchased was the MD version. I loved it, the last fight where the dictator is escaping on that plane was a hoot TBH, that game always threw new situations at you, and for me the game never bored. Jungle Strike didn't live upto my expectations & lost the balance of the original I thought, and the PS version offered nothing new at all.

Comment

Liked Desert Strike, Loved Jungle Strike, Loathed Urban Strike.

Turned Soviet Strike off as soon as it turned out you had some l33t hacker dude for a collegue.

Comment

I always had a soft spot for Jungle Strike on the MD mainly becuase i played it before Desert Strike. Blowing up the White House was always amusing. On reflection DS was the better game. I can vaguely remember Urban Strike and that they added a rather dodgy on foot section.
                What happened to EA apparently releasing a new version of the Strike series?

Comment

Good games, I also thought desert strike was the best effort. I think I have all 3 sitting in the loft. Will have to check.

Some people complained about the controls, but once the player had got used to them, they were a breeze.

'I need fuel, where's fuel , **** it's all the way over there'

Comment

Still got to get Jungle Strike (not too easy to find the Japanese version... ), but still played many a happy hour on Jungle Strike. Think I prefered Desert Strike to Jungle strike, had a better story plot and felt nicer to play. Always like the way that the little guys would try and shoot you with a tiny gun then you turn around and shoot them with a missle.

Comment

I can only remember the Amiga version, and how it came on 3 discs

Was good though, definently, albiet hard at times

Comment

I loved the md version and still play it every now and again - the feeling of momentum of your little 'copter is amazing, and it really forced you to think about your tactics. A truly novel game.

Comment

Was it me, or did the Amiga version (a1200) have better graphics than the SNES/MD ones? Especially the explosions?

Comment

Originally posted by bangaio
                            I loved the md version and still play it every now and again - the feeling of momentum of your little 'copter is amazing, and it really forced you to think about your tactics. A truly novel game.
                            Pah its just Cyclone with guns ffs, whats all the fuss about?

Comment

not that im meant to say this but a m8 of mine workin in a certain company a lot of you guys h8. It currently workin on the current generation of the strike seires. Apparently they are billin it as a xmas smash next year. But you didnt hear this from me. ^_~

Comment

Working...
                              X